“Best Nachos I've Ever Had”

Jack Astor's Bar and Grill - Don Mills
Reserve with OpenTable
Jack Astor's Bar and Grill - Don Mills is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,589 of 10,033 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Neighborhood: North York
Reviewed October 18, 2017

My wife Anita M can't update her review, so I'm going to do it for her.

She regrets being most lamentable that she cannot change her previous review of this restaurant. She had a not very memorable experience with bad nachos, as they were stale, bland, jalapeno free (she thought they were green bell peppers!) and also lacking in cheese and flavor.

As an avid lover of spicy food, I am very pleasantly surprised to say nachos don’t have to be fiery and spicy to be tasty! When I let the restaurant know about my grievances at having taken a dear friend from out of province to dine there on a Friday night two weeks ago, JoJo one of the managers was very apologetic and immediately wanted to remedy the situation.

We all make mistakes but these people do everything they can to ensure it’s nothing more than a fleeting memory of the past, and do everything they can to make it right again.

JoJo allowed the same friend from out west and myself to join my wife for lunch there on Sunday immediately following the incident and fed us not only delectable chicken quesadilla and the oh-so-worth the calories, totally scrumptious trademark Jack Astor garlic cheese pan bread, which is famous for a reason, but he insisted I try the nachos again this time with fresh tortilla chips and enough cheese to open up its own factory! Yes, they use fresh jalapenos which are not a spicy as the jarred variety but it didn’t matter because the flavor and care in the preparation made these rival and surpassed The Keg which was my previous contender for best nachos. Excellent service, fair pricing, and amazing staff. Definitely, would recommend going here. 5/5.

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed October 7, 2017

Guys... do NOT eat here!
Since Jack Astor's conveniently has a broken survey link and none of the apparent "serial numbers" on my receipt work to give you my opinion online I have to demand here publicly: WHAT THE HELL have you done to your NACHOS?! I was there with an out of province pal, bragging about how great the food was - and then we get nachos with practically NO cheese - 60% dry, a couple of teaspoons of salsa as condiments (why so cheap, Jacks? Tomatoes aren't that expensive!) and then you have the gall to try to pass off GREEN peppers as jalapenos?! What kind of cheap bastardization of food is this? No cheese and you can't even spring for the spicy variety of peppers?! I even asked for a side of them, and got MORE GREEN diced peppers, with the waitress insisting you'd "changed it up". I've never been more aggravated in my life. Take some pride in your grub - you aren't the only pub in town anymore. Not impressed. At all.

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank Anita M
Reviewed August 24, 2017

I am sorry to say I was not too pleased with meal I had the Chicken club sandwich with fries, best part of the meal was the fries, sandwich was tasteless, desert of mini chocolate brownie was delicious but they served it on a huge plate, although they dressed it up with lots of caramel sauce and a dollop of cream the brownie looked pretty sad. With the brownie I had a coffee, at $3.57 it better be spectacular, unfortunately it's not worth the price, should have gone to Timmies, they either need to reduce the price or serve better coffee. Won't be going back anytime soon.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed August 18, 2017

Stopped in here for a quick drink and snack on a Friday afternoon at around 3pm and also to catch some of the Jay's game. We decided to sit at the bar as we were not going to be there for very long. The beer and food and atmosphere were OK but the bartender thought he was hot stuff and acted like he was doing us a favour by serving us. He also acted very busy although there were not that many people in the place at the time. As a result his service was very slow as he did it when he "found the time" to get to us.

We left this place unimpressed with the level of service that we received and will likely not return. Mr Bartender - you need to get over yourself. You are not that important.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank Northern_Hiker
Reviewed August 8, 2017

Fairly standard North American pub food. The hamburgers are quite delicious and well made. The restaurant is massive and very noisy. Service is prompt and friendly.

Date of visit: July 2017