“Food was good, atmosphere, not so much....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 417 - CLOSED

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East End
Toronto
“Food was good, atmosphere, not so much....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went on a Sunday afternoon and were the only people in the restaurant. The layout was very nice, as was the seating. When our waitress came to take our order, we asked about a couple of the dishes and settled on one that came highly recommended. A couple of minutes later, the waitress returned to tell us that the dish was not available and she apologized.

Our food was really good, however they played this very repetitive loungy music that we found extremely annoying. In addition, not at all appropriate for an afternoon meal. Overall, the service was decent, the food was good, the atmosphere, not so much....

• Visited July 2013

“Great jazz at 417”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Dined out on a Thursday evening at 417. The restaurant is very well designed with nice upscale decor and good groupings of tables. The restaurant itself is a cavernous space but well laid out with an elevated section around the bar, window seating and an outdoor patio space. We were greeted and seated promptly. We must have been early or maybe it was just not a busy night as we arrived just before 7pm and were the only customers.
The waitress seemed a bit nervous and inexperienced as did some of the other servers who waited our table. The wait staff were friendly and obviously anxious to please.
We were give the menu and advised of the specials. We know the restaurant is known for craft beers and they had a small but very interesting selection. They also had a rather extensive wine list.

The menu consisted of a variety of appetizers and mains. We ordered the calimari which was delivered promptly and was probably the best calimari I have had anywhere. It was hot, deep fried and yet tender not chewy as one often gets when ordering this dish. It came nicely presented on a plate with a spicy sauce and olive oil.

The mains ranged in price from $18-30. I ordered sea bass and my husband lobster linguine. Both dishes arrived hot and well presented. I had two rather large portions of sea bass on a bed of greens and white peas. The sauce was some tomato based cream sauce and unfortunately did not add much taste to the dish. The fish was flaky but had the skin on. The dish overall was rather bland and I was disappointed given the great start with the appetizer.
Maybe I would have had a different experience if I had ordered something other than fish.

We decided to skip the dessert menu. The nicest part of our experience at the 417 was the jazz quartet which was excellent. It is so refreshing to see actual musicians playing in a restaurant. They play every Thursday and Saturday and I might consider going back just for the jazz and trying something else on the menu. Total cost of dinner for 2 including beer $90

• Visited July 2013
Toronto
“Almost hard for me to rate so high, but it has enormous potential.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

As a resident of the Danforth for 23 years, I have eaten in this space before, when it was the awesome Myth, and then at some who did not fare as well. As soon as 417 opened, the buzz was that it was a great place. Certainly the space itself is amazing - large, upscale...and they've added great touches like live music and DJs at times. A good friend sings jazz here during some brunch hours.

And so, we finally decided to try it. As a supporter of local business, I honestly hope 417 makes it for the long haul.

Service was amazing. I forget his name, but the young man who served us works in the event planning business, and has family in Italy, and he was just perfect. Knowledgeable, sharing lots about our food prep, funny in an appropriate way, and attentive. Could not ask for more.

The drink menu is innovative, and our drinks were terrific, though they took way too long to make it to our table, freshly muddled strawberries, or not. I have the elderberry champagne (score), and my partner had the strawberry rhubarb martini (also a score - he loved it).

The appetizers were equally stunning, both in plating and taste. The gnocchi had been seared at the end and this did AMAZING things to its texture. Superb. My partner had the shrimp served with deep fried avocado, yes you heard me right. It was to die for.

Dinner? Not so much.

The burger I had was fine, but nothing outstanding at all. The bun was the typical sesame bun and this dumbed it down for me. Also, the fries really did not stand above McCain frozen, so I wonder what they are thinking here. At $12 this entree was reasonable enough, but in this place, I would rather have paid $15 and had them really do it right. My partner's dinner gnocchi was OK, but again, nothing worth writing home about.

The wine list is decent and priced reasonably. Dessert, the pannacotta, was really good, but they could have done better on desserts overall.

So I am left with a "mixed bag" feeling. If the rest of the meal prep and plating had mirrored the drinks and appetizers, I would be all over this place. For now, I will wait and see!

• Visited June 2013
“Great food great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I took my family out for Father's Day and we had a fantastic time. There was an event going on so they offered to give us the private area upstairs for free! Our server Julia was hilarious and took great care of us!

I had the bison ribs and they were fantastic. The place was busy and their wine and beer list was extensive. Great find!

• Visited June 2013
“Horrible experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We decided to try this restaurant because their website boasts a great list of micro brews.

Although we were not there for dinner and it was slighly before the dinner hour, we walked in and there were no other "real" customers in the place. There were a couple of staff members sitting at the bar drinking and us. Lots of staff around but they mostly seemed to be busy talking to each other.

As we perused the beer list that they handed us, we saw a few that we had not previously tried. We asked specifically to sample two of the newer Beau's brews by name. The bartenderess poured us a sample of Beau's Lugtread. When we pointed out that she had given us the wrong one, she said that was all they had for Beau's. We were a little surprised that she would pass one Beau's off as another without mentioning it - I don't think that would be what the Beau's people would want. So, we asked to sample another we hadn't tried before from a different brewery. She had to go and ask someone what that was, then proceeded to tell us she was out of that one too. As it turned out, they didn't have about a third of the beer on their beer list. We saw a tap handle that was not recognizable to us, so we asked what beer it was. She didn't know.

So, we gave up and just picked a beer we knew from one of the ones that was actually available and sat at the bar to drink it. In the meantime, the staff who were off-shift were back and forth behind the bar and the staff behind the bar were busier talking to them than looking after their own paying customers, us. Needless to say, we finished up our beer, asked for our bill, and left as fast as we could.

The atmosphere in the place is very modern and funky and it is a place that we would have loved to try for dinner but, based on our experience this time, we will not take that chance. It is unfortunate, and maybe we just hit it on the wrong day, but being on a strip of the Danforth with lots of other restaurants there is lots of competion - if this is their level of service, then they will quickly lose any customers that they have.

• Visited March 2013