“Allergy sufferers beware”

Transit: Bay Station
Florida, United States
“Allergy sufferers beware”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is an intimate restaurant that has an impressive menu with beautifully presented food. However, waitstaff are ignorant as to the importance of adherence to allergy sufferer requests. The waitstaff was informed several times during the reservation, the introduction, and upon ordering that our party was gluten free. The shared appetizers arrived with one having "hidden" pasta (small cut up noodles in sauce). This was a dish specifically touted by the waiter. When our party realized the error, the waiter's response was "Oops, I wrote gluten free on the main dish, so sorry." Seriously? We explained how this could cause anaphylactic shock or send someone to the emergency room. He was nonchalant. Because of this type ignorance, I cannot recommend this restaurant, which is a shame, because it could be a nice couples date night place.

Visited August 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Every Dish Has a Particular Character! Delicious*”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

From appetizers to dessert, a cuisine that is light and balanced.
An interesting appetiser with chick peas (very tasty) and the second appetiser with wafer thin eggplant (chips?) <deadly>...
We ordered two main courses- Halibut and a Cornish Hen, The Halibut was fabulously well spiced with a unique taste that invite the palate to the vagaries of good taste. The Cornish Hen is excellent but does not compare to the Halibut... I must remember this the next time we visit...
The desert is (for the lack of a descriptive word) ouuWao! just fantastic.
For a new restaurant... it is a 10!
The friendly staff is worth mentioning! as they were very attentive without being pushy.

• Visited August 2013
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a Groupon and decided to try this place out, and glad we did. It was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday night, and given the quality of the food and presentation, it was surprising that the owners had to resort to going the Groupon route. It suggests the restaurant might have troubled making a go of it. Nevertheless, myself and two dining companions all enjoyed the inventive food and pleasing presentations. Some dishes were off the mark, but that's just personal preference. The lobster salad and halibut were very delicious indeed and it's refreshing to find a restaurant like this that has original, inventive recipes.

• Visited August 2013
Quebec, Canada
“Absolutely LOVED it!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Went there with a friend on a quiet night (it was a Wednesday) without high expectations and was absolutely delighted with my experience. The restaurant decor is warm and inviting, the chairs are comfortable and the food is out of this world. We shared two appetizers, the lobster-mango salad and the pappardelle and although both were really delicious, the pappardelle was to die for. To me, it was like a mix of Italian and Thai, the pasta melt-in-your-mouth tender and the spice mix divine, with just the right amount of spicy in each bite. I really hope they never take this item off their menu, as I'll be back next time I visit Toronto. Another highlight of our meal was the dessert: something with the innocuous name of "torrija", basically small scallop-shaped caramelized brioche pieces served with whipped cream. Sounds simple, tastes amazing! Plus, the owner (Richard) and the chef (Julie) both came to our table to introduce themselves and tell us about their respective journeys in the wonderful world of food. They are both humble and personable, and I sincerely hope their restaurant venture (opened in January 2013) succeeds big time. These two really deserve it! Truly one the most memorable restaurant experiences I've had in my life - and the second one this year alone. Who said 13 was unlucky? :-)

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Marc M
Toronto, Canada
“Very pleasant dining, nice ambiance and service”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My friend and I used a $59 groupon on a Tuesday night. There were a few other couples there and a larger group on the small patio in front. The building is a refurbished old home on Avenue Road, just 1 street south of Dupont, amidst a cluster of mostly Italian resto-bars. The decor is typical urban chic: dark woods, subtle lighting, clean & crisp lines.

Service was pleasant and efficient throughout, never rushed. The menu is small but focused; so when the server informed us that the hamachi entree was unavailable and that the lamb and rib steak entrees required an additional $15-20 each, that limited our choices somewhat. I found that surcharge somewhat misleading - they would be better to have a special groupon menu, as many other restaurants use.

Our groupon included 2 glasses of house wine, both from Ontario: the white was a Riesling, the red was a Merlot. Par for the course.

For appetizers, we had the crudo and lobster. The crudo was hamachi served with pea shoots and basil, with a simple dressing. It was fine, but I would have preferred the fish to have been a bit colder. I much preferred the lobster: nice morsels of lobster knuckle and tail tossed with avocado, papaya, frisée lettuce and surprisingly pleasant macadamia nuts. From neighbouring tables, we overheard raves about the Korean ribs and the shrimp.

For entrees, I had the perfectly cooked halibut served on some roasted fingerling potatoes and artichokes with an earthy tomato sauce laced with smoked paprika, fava beans, peas, and excellent olives. It was a very Iberian dish as the reviews suggested. My friend enjoyed her cornish hen with potatoes.

The groupon included a shared dessert, but we ordered an extra one à la carte. I ordered the ensaimada, a dense sweet bun topped with a rich chocolate ice cream, whipped cream, ganache, and hazelnuts. My friend enjoyed her cashew gelado with pineapple.

There was a pleasant Filipino flair to some of the recipes like the ensaimada (and the pan de sal, which I also saw on the appetizer menu). That would explain the Iberian-Asian fusion I'd read about.

Overall, it was a very satisfying dining experience. I cannot fault any single aspect of it. I am just not sure if it was memorable enough for me to return, particularly at regular price.

• Visited July 2013