“Great place, great staff, great city!”
Review of The Clarence Park

The Clarence Park
Ranked #4 of 104 Specialty Lodging in Toronto
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Clarence Park was fantastic! Stayed there as another friend of mine had recommended it. The staff were really lovely and showed me how to get to all the hot spots of Toronto! The place itself is a little treasure, a fantastic location 20 minutes walking distance to all the main attractions of the city, with a bottle shop and food store just around the corner! The rooms themselves were cleaned daily (lovely housekeeper!) and the general feel of the place was great. The Clarence Park also has a great kitchen, TV room and rooftop terrace which has great views of the tower at night!

A great place and for the price I couldn't have asked for more!!

Room Tip: The mixed dorms with curtains around the bed are great for a bit of privacy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheBlondeNomad
There are newer reviews for The Clarence Park

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was very disappointed with this place. They double charged me (I had paid a previous deposit and they did not recognize it when I arrived to the Hotel). On my confirmation they said they accepted credit card and when I arrived they said they only accept debit, cash or travel check
The bed was extremely noisy and there was a lot of garbage behind the bed from previous guests.

Room Tip: I would go to a different place
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lau F
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This a fantastic hostel to stay in, very friendly staff, rooms are great!

Having arrived earlier than planned after a 4 hour journey on a bus, the hostel staff were more than helpful to me. Offering to take my bags up to the room and making sure I had everything I needed.

The rooms were fantastic, although I would say maybe to many people to some of the rooms... 1 toilet/shower in the room for 8 people, could be a long weight to get into the bathroom if you needed.

The kitchen was fantastically big, and well stocked with all sorts of utensils for people to use. Although I didn't cook in their, just used the drinking tap, I saw plenty of people using it and making good use of it.

The hostel is in an excellent location for many things, I hardly used the local transport and was able to walk to most places.Its 5 min walk to the CN tower, but is also on a major public transport intersection so if you do need to use it, its very easy to pick up.

If I am ever to come to Toronto again i will most certainly stay here.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay in the downtown, the clarence park is perfect. Amazing location, 5 minutes from CN Tower! Rooms are quite small, not very clean :/ Sfaff is very nice and helpful. The best thing about this hostel is location, apart from that? Nothing special, typical hostel, without surprises.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Clarence Park at the end of August. I did not get to interact with the staff, as someone else checked in for me, but everyone I met was very nice. I could not be in the same room as my friend because we hadn't reserved at the same time, so if you are with someone else, be sure to mention it.

The hostel is very well located, just off a busy street and in front of a nice park, but still downtown and walking distance from most places. That being said, since there is no air conditioning in rooms, the windows had to stay open and noise from the cafe next door came in, so I strongly suggest bringing earplugs. The front desk is not open at night, so you won't be able to get any there, if you have trouble sleeping. The open window did let enough cool air into the room and I had no trouble sleeping with good earplugs.

I stayed in a 6-bed mixed room. The beds are pretty comfortable, the rooms and bathrooms are pretty clean. However, due to renovations, the corridors and public washroom were not. The kitchen was fine.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room at the back. If you can't, bring earplugs!
Reviewed August 18, 2013

You can't beat this place for price vs location. It is only 5 mins from the CN tower and a great base to explore Toronto. The common areas are separated into a long cooking/eating area and 2 lounges. The rooms are well proportioned and nicely decorated - clearly Danny the owner has an eye for generating style on a budget. Breakfast is not included but there is a cafe next door (a little expensive though).

Room Tip: The non-main house seems quieter.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The building is nice and the location an area very close to city center, but reception completely uncare on customers. After nine hours on a train I arrived completely soaked to the hostel because of the rain, and they didn`t want me to get in because they close reception at 22h and it was 22:30. When I booked in Internet nothing was said to me on this matter.

Finally I got in but I didn`t got a room key, so I couldn`t get out for dinner, at the end I spent almost 24 hours withoul any food. When I complained, at least the guy in reception didn`t want to take my payment but never said sorry. I`ve been backpacking more than 30 years and never been treated so uncarefully.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo