“Excellent food, terribly slow service”
Review of Sabai Sabai Kitchen and Bar - CLOSED

Sabai Sabai Kitchen and Bar
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Sabai Sabai Kitchen & Bar serves up deliciously authentic tapas style dishes from Northern Thailand and Laos in a relaxed, cool and casual setting. Enjoy Asian inspired cocktails and popular dishes such as crispy fried fish with tamarind sauce or the signature Khao Soi noodles with a cold BeerLao at the only restaurant in Canada exclusively importing this Laotian favourite.
Reviewed August 12, 2014

My review in summary: go, because the food is outstanding, but well before you're hungry and not when you're short of time.

Sabai Sabai is a revelation of Thai food. You can tell that the chef love his creations - they are both visually and gustatorily outstanding.

I've eaten here on a number of occasions and tried many different dishes. Amongst my favourites are the tom yum soup, crispy fried taro roll and massaman curry. The tapas menu is perfect for sharing and prices are quite reasonable.

The only downside is the incredibly slow service - a clear result of understaffing. My first time at the restaurant was to a packed house and there were only three servers attending the room (probably 25 tables). So go, but well before you are hungry.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I have travelled extensively in Thailand and have fairly high expectations of "authentic" Thai fare. Chef Nuit at Sabai Sabai is the real deal and the green papaya salad was outstanding and as good as the best I've enjoyed in Thailand. We enjoyed every dish and as it is tapas-style, we ordered plenty to share, crispy-fried fish w/tamarind, chicken satay, tom yum, spicy beef salad, rice, washed down with a tasty and unique Thai Long Island iced tea and much to my husband's delight, a cold Singha beer! Loved the ambience and our server and all staff were warm, friendly and informative about the dishes. We will definitely be back next time we stay in Toronto and will recommend this charming spot to friends!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I was caught off guard when I tried the tom ka soup as rich flavours burst inside my mouth. The taste of tamarind, lemongrass, cilantro and kafir leaves were very distinct yet seemed to be in a perfect balance. The creamy coconut milk was the perfect base for this soup. I would be glad to have one big bowl of that soup for my entire meal.

I also ordered the crispy fish with tamarind sauce for my main. It was also good but my taste buds was longing for more tom ka soup. I would reverse the order next time and start with the crispy fish then finish it with tom ka soup.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

My best friend took me here for my first Thai restaurant meal. The food was so delicious - hot and very flavourful! We got the green papaya salad, green fish curry, beef salad, stir fry eggplant and a side of brown rice. The staff was very tenantive and gave us excellent recommendations. It was a busy place with a great atmosphere - cool music which was not too loud! Would 100% recommend to a friend, who has eaten a lot of Thai food (like my best friend) or someone like myself who has never been before! Bravo!

Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have visited Sabai Sabai three times - most recently twice within the last week. I have had great experiences at this restaurant. The atmosphere is lively and fun, and I love the tapas sharing style. I wouldn't exactly call myself a Thai food expert (however I have travelled before in Thailand) however, I would have to say that I find the food to be flavourful and delicious. Nice choices on the menu. We really enjoyed a couple of Thai curries, the papaya and beef salads, and the eggplant dish. Actually it is the best eggplant dish I have ever tasted. Service is good and friendly. I also appreciate how this restaurant has interesting LOCAL wine selections and was surprised to see one of my favourite small wineries in NOTL called "Between the Lines" featured at a reasonable price point. Will definitely return and my out-of-town guests were both very impressed. Thanks Sabai Sabai.