“Authentic FLAVOURFUL Mexican Food”

Playa Cabana Cantina
Ranked #615 of 9,390 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed November 15, 2017

I was visiting my sister who lives in The Junction area and she suggested we go to Cantinas for lunch. I love Mexican food, but frequently I am disappointed by the Mexican food that I try in Canada, as it is often bland, not good textures and doesn't compare to the fresh and flavourful food I have loved in Mexico. I am so glad my sister recommended Cantina as I LOVED everything I ordered. We started out with homemade guacamole and chips that was very good. I especially loved the nice selection of flavourful hot sauces that was brought to our table.

If you order 3 taco dishes (they are small) you get rice and beans that comes with the meal. The tacos come with either a crispy or soft shell and they do not resemble anything to the commercial ones you see in the supermarket. The taco choices were very interesting. My 3 choices were: 1.Chipotle marinated chicken, yellow mango, 2. Grilled fish of the day, morita chile aoili, purple cabbage and 3. a Grilled shrimp. They were FANTASTIC!!!! I had to take one home in a doggy bag, as I was very full.

The waitress was very friendly and helpful. My sister said the only downside with Playa Cabana Cantina is that if you go for dinner, it is very, very loud and hard to carry on a normal conversation. I will definitely bring the rest of my family to Cantina the next time we are in Toronto, but on my sister's advice, we will try to hit it at lunch time to avoid the crowds and noise. I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed October 15, 2017

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fav of Mexican food but this place is my exception. Their tacos are divine, fresh produce and just the mix of the ingridiances.

Their CHORREADAS (Crispy Tacos w/ cheese) BRAISED SHORT RIB are so so good.

Staff are very friendly and quick, the food arrives fast!

Reviewed September 14, 2017

Playa Cabana is awesome. The food is great, as is the atmosphere in the restaurant. It's always busy though so, if you like a quiet restaurant, this isn't for you. I've never been disappointed by a meal here. Definitely recommend it for delicious Mexican food!

Reviewed August 10, 2017

First time at this restaurant. The atmosphere is very comfortable. Small diamond in the rough for sure. Waiter was great and provided us with a lot of information and even suggestions on what to order. Tacos were pricey, but so well worth it.

Reviewed August 7, 2017 via mobile

Saturday night you have to make a reservation, the restaurant was completely packed and understaffed but still super cozy with a chill atmosphere. The menu is a bit too pricey for the quality, they should have 3 tacos for $15, not $6 each. Also their corn on the Cobb is $12 which is excessive. We ordered the guacamole and salsa which was fresh and delicious and various soft shell tacos, the hard shell looked way too oily. I tried the LA truck (steak) the octopus and the fried fish, they were all really good, especially the octopus. The side sauces were also really fresh and spicy I will return for tacos but probably not for drinks.