“Very good fish tacos”

Playa Cabana Cantina
Ranked #483 of 8,432 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: West End
Toronto, Canada
“Very good fish tacos”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Solid place to eat... great fish tacos. I recommend the rib taco. One problem with the restaurant: it is quite expensive. Not sure it's worth the price.

• Visited April 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Over priced and distinctly average.”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I'd heard positive things about this place and as I live in the area I had passed by on many occasions and always noticed how busy it is, based on this my expectations were high. My partner and I met a couple of friends there for dinner on a saturday night. We had chips and salsa as an appetizer then I had Taco's and my partner had a veggie burrito, we split the churros for desert, I also had a beer and my partner had a margarita, all of it was no better than average at best, which would be fair enough if it wasn't for the price, it cost us over 120 dollars per couple. I have no problem spending money on food if the quality and the service is good, unfortunately that was not the case here. There was a mix up with one of our orders and we were offered nothing more than a weak apology. The one plus point is that this place does have a good atmosphere, with it always being busy, thats simply not enough to encourage me to return though.

1 Thank Johnny H
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Went for my birthday dinner with one of my girlfriends. Took forever to get the waitress over to get drinks, ordered a bucket of beer (4 beers), then had to wait a long time to place order. The music was so loud we had to yell at each other to talk. The ancho-braised shortrib taco was absolutely amazing! But that one taco is the only good thing I can say about this place. The chicken taco & pork taco were bland, the re-fried beans were the worse I've ever had, and the churros dessert was over cooked and so hard that the insides were almost hollow. Our waitress never came back to see if we needed more drinks, and we had to ask another waitress for a dessert menu after ours never came back with the one we originally asked for. After dessert we asked to speak to a manager, after waiting 10 minutes, we could see her chatting in the kitchen, she finally came over to talk to us but had to leave and turn down the music cause she couldn't hear us talk. After telling her our concerns she seemed genuinely interested in what we had to say and told us that she would make it right, asked for our contact info and told us she'd be in contact. That was 26 days ago and no word. It's hugely disappointing cause i had only heard good things and the Junction desperately needs good restaurants. I won't return.

2 Thank sweeneym
Toronto
“Just plain bad”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Arrived with a confirmed reservation for 7:30, seated at 7:50. Had a couple of drinks and ordered food at 8:20, received food....all lukewarm...at 9:20. No apology, no interim explanation. Server recommends a pitcher of margaritas as better value than individual drinks. Well, no it's not, actually....four drinks cost $9 apiece, pitcher cost $55....and dispensed four drinks. Called the bartender over, said she would get a manager. Called our server 30 minutes later, said she would get manager. No manager arrives, though manager is clearly visible standing at the bar. Ask for bill, receive it with the $55 pitcher still on it. Insist that it's removed and replaced by the cost of four regular drinks.

Follow up with an email to the owners rather than an online review as I had previously liked the place and felt owners would want to know about this. Get a response from someone who says 'sorry' and this is totally unlike their management style but they'll inform the General Manager of my complaint.

Two weeks later, no response, no follow up. Guess it really is their management style. No problem, plenty of other places to drop $300 on a Tuesday night.

2 Thank Don35
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Playa Cabana in danger of ruining itself”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This place was an immensely welcome addition to the Junction and I'm still glad it's here and doing well, but it's slipping. The reduced menu isn't as good as what they used to serve, but overall the food is very good.

The biggest problem is the service.

When PCC first opened we paid a visit and forgave them confusion coming out of the kitchen and a scatter-brained wait staff. But we were back tonight and two years on (I think it's been open two years--could be wrong) the service was back to being bad. Nice waiter, who apologized for being about 30 seconds late with the water; but then he disappeared. I had ordered a drink and ten minutes later I just went up to the bar and got it myself. Then we had three separate wrong orders arrive at the table, all delivered by an over-worked runner who appeared to not have been told what dish was supposed to go where. He was just left guessing.

Our waiter eventually apologized and asked the manager to come over. She gave us our guacamole for free but that wasn't enough to salvage better than a 10% tip.

As a Junction resident I want this place to survive and thrive. But they're going to have to watch the basics -- like service-- and not take their clientele for granted. More restaurants are coming into the area and the competition will soon ramp up. Those long line-ups to eat at PCC aren't going to last forever.

1 Thank Andrew G