“Disappointing”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Went for my birthday dinner with one of my girlfriends. Took forever to get the waitress over to get drinks, ordered a bucket of beer (4 beers), then had to wait a long time to place order. The music was so loud we had to yell at each other to talk. The ancho-braised shortrib taco was absolutely amazing! But that one taco is the only good thing I can say about this place. The chicken taco & pork taco were bland, the re-fried beans were the worse I've ever had, and the churros dessert was over cooked and so hard that the insides were almost hollow. Our waitress never came back to see if we needed more drinks, and we had to ask another waitress for a dessert menu after ours never came back with the one we originally asked for. After dessert we asked to speak to a manager, after waiting 10 minutes, we could see her chatting in the kitchen, she finally came over to talk to us but had to leave and turn down the music cause she couldn't hear us talk. After telling her our concerns she seemed genuinely interested in what we had to say and told us that she would make it right, asked for our contact info and told us she'd be in contact. That was 26 days ago and no word. It's hugely disappointing cause i had only heard good things and the Junction desperately needs good restaurants. I won't return.

2 Thank sweeneym

Toronto
“Just plain bad”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Arrived with a confirmed reservation for 7:30, seated at 7:50. Had a couple of drinks and ordered food at 8:20, received food....all lukewarm...at 9:20. No apology, no interim explanation. Server recommends a pitcher of margaritas as better value than individual drinks. Well, no it's not, actually....four drinks cost $9 apiece, pitcher cost $55....and dispensed four drinks. Called the bartender over, said she would get a manager. Called our server 30 minutes later, said she would get manager. No manager arrives, though manager is clearly visible standing at the bar. Ask for bill, receive it with the $55 pitcher still on it. Insist that it's removed and replaced by the cost of four regular drinks.

Follow up with an email to the owners rather than an online review as I had previously liked the place and felt owners would want to know about this. Get a response from someone who says 'sorry' and this is totally unlike their management style but they'll inform the General Manager of my complaint.

Two weeks later, no response, no follow up. Guess it really is their management style. No problem, plenty of other places to drop $300 on a Tuesday night.

2 Thank Don35
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Playa Cabana in danger of ruining itself”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This place was an immensely welcome addition to the Junction and I'm still glad it's here and doing well, but it's slipping. The reduced menu isn't as good as what they used to serve, but overall the food is very good.

The biggest problem is the service.

When PCC first opened we paid a visit and forgave them confusion coming out of the kitchen and a scatter-brained wait staff. But we were back tonight and two years on (I think it's been open two years--could be wrong) the service was back to being bad. Nice waiter, who apologized for being about 30 seconds late with the water; but then he disappeared. I had ordered a drink and ten minutes later I just went up to the bar and got it myself. Then we had three separate wrong orders arrive at the table, all delivered by an over-worked runner who appeared to not have been told what dish was supposed to go where. He was just left guessing.

Our waiter eventually apologized and asked the manager to come over. She gave us our guacamole for free but that wasn't enough to salvage better than a 10% tip.

As a Junction resident I want this place to survive and thrive. But they're going to have to watch the basics -- like service-- and not take their clientele for granted. More restaurants are coming into the area and the competition will soon ramp up. Those long line-ups to eat at PCC aren't going to last forever.

1 Thank Andrew G
“Authentic Mexican Tacos”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Having lived in Mexico for a number of years I'm perhaps one of the pickiest eaters when it comes to tacos and mexican food. This place provide authentic dishes. Even the guacamole is amazing...

• Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Wow”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Amazing Restaurant. Really Low key & relaxing. Casual paced meal, and great to bring noisy babies / kids to as no one cares - people are here for the good food. Good date night spot!