“Our favourite "go to" spot in the neighbourhood”

Morgans On The Danforth
Ranked #431 of 8,576 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East York
Toronto, Canada
“Our favourite "go to" spot in the neighbourhood”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I have been going to Morgan's frequently since they opened - we live nearby and they're a great addition to the neighbourhood. In fact, I can't believe I haven't written a review before this - I thought I had!

What to order...I often have their mussels, which are delicious in their cream sauce from the regular menu. I think they also have a mussel night on Wednesday nights where you can get a choice of three sauces with your mussels. My husband often gets the wild boar tagliatelle, which he says is always done perfectly, and he also likes the gourmet burgers. The gnocci dish is also a favourite of mine. From the salad menu, you can't go wrong with the Bistro salad. The pan-seared scallop appetizer is done perfectly as well. If you go during the daytime, try their pear and brie sandwich, it's fabulous. And always ask what their "chocolate something" is for dessert - it's usually something irresistible!

We also often get the daily specials, which are without fail delicious - in fact, we have never ordered any meal there that wasn't excellent. The food is prepared so well that it would not be out of place in an upscale restaurant with much higher prices. They take real care to use the best and freshest ingredients. We have brought friends and family to Morgan's when they come to visit us, and everyone raves about it during and afterwards.

As for the service - if the food didn't keep us coming back for more (which it does), the service certainly would. All of the servers there are stellar, including Lucy, who has gotten to know us over the past couple of years we've been going there. Anthony, the bartender, is friendly, talented, and makes the best mojito outside of Cuba. Seriously. Just ask my husband, who is the fussiest mojito drinker on the planet. Kevin (the owner/manager) is always on the floor, talking to diners and getting to know people, and if you come in more than once, he recognizes you, remembers your favourite drinks (especially beer or cider, and he keeps a nice selection in stock), lets you know if he has anything interesting in that he thinks you might like, and carries on conversations from the last visit like it was the day before. Anne, the head chef, comes out and chats too, solicits feedback and really cares what you think. I have some dietary restrictions which Anne and Kevin have assured me repeatedly that they can accommodate in any way - and they do, even when they're busy. Basically, all of the staff make you feel like you're an old friend walking in the door.

Wish I could give Morgan's more than 5 stars!

• Visited September 2013

Toronto, Canada
“a welcome addition to our neighbourhood”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Morgans is almost 2 years old and has become a neighbourhood favourite - Fridays are always full. Good selection of beer on tap. Comfy bar and seating areas. The staff is very personable and aims to please. The food is very good - Sundays they serve a special dinner. A small patio on the Danforth makes for good people watching.

• Visited September 2013
Toronto, Canada
“A local bistro amid the Muslims”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We drove across town to try Morgan's. But that's the whole point of Summerlicious - try restaurants you likely wouldn't have otherwise. Indeed, it's unlikely we would even have spotted it. This is more a neighhbourhood of Ethiopian, Somali and Arab places and halal butchers.

I don't know if we'd drive across town again just to go here, but if you're in the area it's worth a stop. "Bistro" is a good description. Not really a restaurant nor a bar but a place where you can get good drinks, especially beer, and decent food.

Actually better than decent. My tomato soup was divine. Great burger and fries and good porchetta sandwich. And beautiful desserts. The key thing is, all the food looked and tasted like everything was freshly made, with the freshest ingredients and the utmost care by someone looking to impress. In fact, everyone made a serious effort to get across that they appreciated our business. Good advice on the beers, almost all from small local breweries. And get this, to help us choose, they gave us free samples. Americans may shrug and say So What?, but this is a rarity in Canada.

Our trips to this area are usually to enjoy Greek food in Greektown, just slightly west. But if you're in the area and looking for more familiar food, well-prepared and presented, with friendly people happy to see you, Morgan's is a good choice.

• Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Nice little place with great great service”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went here Saturday with some friends for summerlicious. This quaint cozy restaurant was a great find, service was excellent and the atmosphere was lovely. Our meal was good, I really enjoyed mine, some of my friends thought their food was slightly over cooked, I tried some of my friends pasta and it was perfectly al dente. I had the pork cheek tostadas, very intresting and super tasty, I would definatley return. They have jazz bands playing during their Sunday brunch, I'd really like to go back for that.

• Visited July 2013
Ontario
“Great Local Food”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We have been here 3 times and we would recommend it. It's great that it's in the neighbourhood. Relaxed and friendly. The prime rib, fired chicken and sticky toffee cake get the thumbs up.

• Visited April 2013