“Excellent food, value and service!!”
Review of Richmond Station

Richmond Station
Ranked #6 of 9,075 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Description: Richmond Station is a stopping place, a bustling neighbourhood restaurant in the downtown core. We are committed to delicious food and excellent hospitality.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I've eaten at the Richmond Station restaurant twice so far. Both times the food and service was consistantly excellent. For the price point, I think it offers excellent value. Dinner for two with a bottle of wine is around $160 (including tax and tip). And that included a plate of 8 oysters to start! The menu is limited but diverse and it changes every week or so based on freshly sourced local ingredients. The servers are very professional, casual and attentive. Definitely worth a visit. Enjoy!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,754)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Everything was outstanding. The charcuterie plate is a must. They make their own country pate, salamis, a smoked chicken "bologna", an amazing breaded and fried bite of head cheese, all served on a wooden board with various pickled vegetables and preserves, perfect for sharing.

We shared the smoked trout on a bed of baby kale and baby swiss chard with bites of corn and tomatoes over quinoa. Very lightly smoked fish, and more like a delicate sashimi. There were some fried julienned crisps of celery root as garnish. Amazing!

We shared a seared and thinly sliced steak that was pared with braised beef and served with garlic mashed potatoes and baby yellow and orange carrots. Their organic, grass-fed beef is raised by a farmer that they know. The conversation between the seared and the braised beef added life to the plate.

For dessert we had the paradiso panna cotta and the watermelon tartare. The panna cotta included frozen concord grapes, pignoli and almonds, mint and finely shaved apple. The watermelon tartare featured watermelon that had been vacuum-compressed to retain all of the flavor in a denser melon consistency. It was served with frozen yogurt and what was described on the menu as "oreo soil", but NOT made from oreos, lemon balm, and sesame seeds. Both desserts were light and excellent.

For wine, we ordered by the glass to pair with each course, following the guidance of our server. We were not disappointed.

The service was excellent, very cheerful, helpful, and fun. We sat along the bar-style table facing into the kitchen, and what a show! The chefs and sou chefs danced in perfect choreography, moving fast with not a wasted movement, strangely with no tension in this demanding venue...all grace.

I have to say this is one of the best dining experiences I have ever had.

Definitely make a reservation. Get there early and sit so you can watch the action in the kitchen.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Trying to use the web to make a reservation at the Richmond Station ended in a disappointing message that they had no reservations remaining for the time we wanted to dine there. But because of the excellent reviews that this restaurant has received in TripAdvisor, and because it was so close to the Four Seasons Theater, where we were going to see the Canadian Opera Company's performance of La Boheme (a 3 minute walk), I decided to call the restaurant and see if they could fit us in.

The receptionist whom I spoke with was very cordial and positive and quickly found that they indeed would be able to accomodate us at the time we needed in order to get to the theater in time. And in retrospect we are SO happy that she did.

Dinner was excellent and fairly priced, the selection of wine that our waitress suggested perfect, the selection of items on the menu indeed eclectic (in an excellent sense), well prepared and very tasty. Our waitress was extremely attentive, replacing silverwear that we had used before the next course, making sure our water and wine glasses were filled, and making sure that everything that we ate was to our liking. We started by sharing a very nice portion of Duck Pate then followed this with sliced of meat from a leg of Venison, for me, which was perfectly done and Rabbit Paparadelli (sp?) - large flat noodles for my wide. Be aware that Game is not the only options on the menu since they have a lot of standard items (e.g. steak, seafood, chicken). It's just that when we are eating out, we like to order items we don't have at home - hence our above selections.

It is a small restaurant but the ambiance and sound levels were excellent. If you want an elegant meal with great service, look no farther ... but make sure you make reservations in advance.

1  Thank Coticon
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We followed the reviewers to this restaurant and we are so glad we did! There was't a table available when we arrived so we were encouraged to stand at the bar and have "nibbles and a drink"... I explained that wasn't what we would like to do and a table was allocated almost immediately, it felt as though we were being looked after which was super.
The setting is contemporary, bright and welcoming. The specials board complements an already varied menu and our choices were delicious. My trout had to be cooked for extra time as I found it rather "too rare" for me, ..plate removed and returned with grace and ease...no problem.. my partner chose the duck which he relished. Having enjoyed the first course so much we succumbed to " desserts to die for"...
This was the best meal we ate in Toronto and I would have returned if our time in the city had been longer.
I would recommend it to everyone in town and recall Laura who was our delightful waitress.
I loved the open kitchen which illustrates how proud and confident the chefs are of what they are doing. Well done!!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Took my wife here for dinner. Loved every minute of it. Chef Carl has done a great job here. Will be back for sure.