“Exceptional Hospitality”
Review of Algonquin House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Algonquin House
Ranked #8 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
“Exceptional Hospitality”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was our second stay at Algonquin House and the hospitality, comfort and care we'd come back for was as exceptional as ever. Leora looked after every detail to ensure our comfort and provide for any specific needs or preferences. The room (bed / sitting room) was so comfortable that we enjoyed relaxing there each morning and sometimes during the day, rather than leaving right away and spending the whole day out and about. Instead, we found a lovely service of delicious coffee waiting for us outside our door each morning, which we enjoyed while reading the paper before going down to breakfast at a leisurely time. And the breakfasts really were amazing - everything homemade, beautifully presented, and more than we could ever finish. Algonquin House paid for our parking, so we never had to worry about searching for a space. The location is great, right next to High Park and a nice walk from Roncesvalles. We plan to look up Lenora on our future visits to Toronto.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I've been to Algonquin House on two separate trips and will never stay in a hotel again. I love Toronto west. It's close to Lakeshore, the QEW, the Gardiner and Lake Ontario. High Park or Roncesvalles street are each minutes away, as are subways and buses to anywhere.
Breakfast is delicious, wholesome and plentiful. I never need lunch.
It's a great place to stay, the hostess is attentive, gracious and a great cook.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I was looking for the right place for a close friend to stay in while visiting Toronto. Algonquin House turned out to be the perfect place not only to introduce my friend to Toronto but to provide her with the rest and relaxation she needed. With High Park and Roncesvalles Avenue with its shops, restaurants, and warm neighbourhood feel just a short walk away, Algonquin House offers the best experience if you're looking for a place that's in the western part of Toronto, with easy access to downtown via streetcar or subway. Leora is a most gracious host, accommodating my friend's dietary needs, and made sure everything was comfortable. And her breakfasts! Wow! The delicious homemade breads, fresh fruits, omelettes, smoked fish, pancakes ... the food tided us over till dinner. Yes indeed. I am so pleased to have discovered Algonquin House and to have met Leora that even if I live close by, I'm thinking of treating myself to a night or two when I just want to relax and be pampered.

Room Tip: There are two rooms and both are fabulous. Choose the "reading room" with the queen sized...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
word155019, Owner at Algonquin House, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you so much Margie. It was great to meet you and Elenor. Hope to see you again soon.

Leora
ontario
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We arrived and were thrilled from the first moment. It's an area of toronto we weren't familiar with but soon came to appreciate its beauty and quiet, leaf-lined streets. We couldn't believe we were so close to the action and yet felt like we were someplace else. Our room was wonderful and we loved the attached porch. We only stayed one night be can't wait to be back! Our host was charming and knowledgable and the food wonderful! We would recommend it any time!

Room Tip: The room with adjoining porch is delightful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

word155019, Owner at Algonquin House, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you very much for this review. It was very kind of you. I do hope I have the pleasure of hosting you again some time in the future.
Elora, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I use the online email booking option (very convenient), and my credit card is charged for $7 and I receive an email from BBCanada confirming my reservation. I don't hear anything again. So coming from my home and reassured that I have a place to stay for the night my husband and I drop off my son and dog at my mother's and head to meet some friends for lunch I have prearranged for the friends to follow me to Algonquin house and then to wait as we check-in so that we can go together to a hockey game at the Ricoh Coliseum for 5 pm. We arrive at your house about 4 pm. There's a very small sign saying we have the right address. There's no indication where we should park, there's no answer at the door. After 10 minutes I try calling. After 10 more minutes I try calling again. I can hear the phone ringing through your front door so I'm reassured that I have the right place. We decide to park our car out front and head to the hockey game as we can't wait any longer. I'm starting to feel very very anxious. I ask my husband to email Algonquin house as my phone is almost dead now. It's now 7 pm (3 hours after we first arrived) and still we haven't heard anything. So I again ask my friends to drive us back to Algonquin house to see if someone is there to check us in. No one is there so I book a room at the Howard Johnson on Roncesvalles and assume it's not happening. I ask my friends to drive us to the hotel, ask them to wait again, park our car in the hotel parking lot and arrive 1 hour late for the party.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlannaKing
word155019, Owner at Algonquin House, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
I do apologize that I was not there. I did not receive the booking. I have taken steps to make sure that this will never occur again.
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I live near by in the High Park area and wanted to do something special for my girlfriend's birthday without leaving the city. I came across this place and from my first email was blown away by the owners interest in my plans and attention to detail. I read reviews about the meals and together we planned breakfast. Because I was planning for a birthday Leora, the woman who runs the B&B, suggested she could also bake a birthday cake to go along with breakfast. Just above and beyond.
Now on to the actual stay. We got there after dinner and found a bottle of wine along with tea and freshly baked chocolate chip and pecan cookies waiting for us. I picked the room at the front of the house with the King Sized bed and fireplace which in the winter seemed like a no-brainer. The backroom with a sitting area and view of the backyard would probably be great in the spring and summer months. We did have the floor to ourselves which was great. After lighting a fire and enjoying the room (and cookies) we were fast asleep on a very comfy bed. We awoke to smells of the amazing breakfast to come and fresh tea at our door. Breakfast did not disappoint. We got cheese souffles, bacon, yogurt with homemade granola, fresh orange juice, tea, and one of the most spectacular cinnamon bun loaves I've ever seen. Not to mention a delicious chocolate birthday cake on top of all that. Just amazing. The bathroom also has every possible type of soap you could think of and a very nice shower as well. The rooms both have computers with internet access in case you need it. Overall just a splendid experience. It is worth keeping in mind that they only accept cash or cheque. Needless to say, the next time I want to get away in my own city, I know where I'm going.

Room Tip: If you're going during the cold months, take the room with the fireplace.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We arrived here at 1.15am after a flight from Sydney --not a problem we were told how to enter and there was biscuts and home made gourmet sandwichs waiting for us which we appreciated.We loved the generous nature of the owners --bathroom full of anything you could want and the breakfast as stated was really something to remember.Presentation and her great eye for detail was outstanding.Overhearing me at breakfast say I loved mushrooms was noted and next morning I had a wonderful selection to choose from just delicious!We had paid extra for the ensuite and found we had 2 bedrooms on our floor which our son was delighted to move into and off a friends lounge!Waking up in the morning opening the door to find a tray with tea and coffee waiting for you was a perfect way to start the day.Would have no hesitation in staying there again. Tree lined street, Walk to cafe's ,Great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family