“My favorite sushi in Toronto ”
Review of JaBistro

JaBistro
Ranked #514 of 10,269 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Toronto
Description: JaBistro is a cozy space, a “hideaway”. Established in November 2012 and tucked away on Richmond Street between Simcoe and Duncan, JaBistro is warm and intimate, set off by an elegant and chic design of light wood panels and exposed brick. Respecting the ingredients and its natural flavours, JaBistro offers a sophisticated approach to traditional Japanese fine dining. The modern Japanese bistro mixes classic with contemporary by sourcing the finest, freshest fish from coastal waters around the world, and creating edible works of art designed to surprise and elevate any night out. Aside from impeccable sushi, JaBistro’s bold and diverse menu also features a selection of hot and cold specialty dishes. Hand selected wines and sakes delicately enhance the cuisine and dining experience.
Reviewed March 3, 2019 via mobile

JaBistro is an excellent restaurant with some of the best sushi I’ve had in Toronto for a generally reasonable price. The restaurant is attractive and comfortable and service is very friendly and well informed. If you are looking to treat yourself the prix fixe menu offers a delicious selection of sashimi platter, lobster miso soup, the best gindara I’ve ever had and a sushi selection. The fish is fresh, flavorful and tender. Going to JaBistro is something I look forward to all week!

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed February 22, 2019 via mobile

Best nigiri I have had. Best my husband has had outside Japan. This place gets it right. We eat sushi in every city we travel to. East coast, West coast, South Pacific, and we were blown away by the quality of the fish at JaBistro. Aburi was also fantastic.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed February 12, 2019 via mobile

One of my favorite restaurant. I been there very often with my husband for lunch. The omakase (chef choise) is AMAZING, press sushi also delicious. Beautiful space. We love japanese food, I hight recommend this restaurant for Japanese lovers.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

I have been to this restaurants and always enjoyed it. This time was different. The place was busy and service seemed disorganized. We asked for cold sushi and also the hot torched one.
They brought the hot plate first with complete disregard to what we ordered. When I asked them to take it back and bring first the cold sushi, a discussion got started and they insisted I eat first the hot dish. That did not happen. Of course we got the cold sushi and then the RE-torched dish. Unacceptable. Something has changed.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 3, 2018

Servers speak Japanese and it seems authentic. Except that MSG is no longer used in Japan. MSG is a cheap way to give the illusion of good taste without actually having good taste, generally used in cheap Chinese restaurants.
This restaurant is not cheap! We were shocked that they use MSG. Usually, cheap and/or processed foods use MSG, not a place where you expect authentic, good tasting, quality food. I'd be afraid to eat raw fish in a place that thinks aji-no-moto (MSG) is a good thing.

See a huff post article by David Martin about MSG use in Canada.

Date of visit: October 2018