“Average because of the price”
Review of JaBistro

JaBistro
Ranked #551 of 8,771 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Description: Modern Japanese
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Quality and freshness of fish is recommended, but for the portion and price its expensive. You might as well go Japango or even Aoyama in Scarborough. Depends what you want. Nice atmosphere, but probably bc its new, the servers are unfamiliar with the food. I like to go to a japanese restaurant for good food even if its expensive. The sashimi slice was too thin- looks like a normal slice cut into 2. You can do something else to make this fine dining, not just raise the price and give half the quantity...

1  Thank L0veT0Travel168

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I was very impressed with the quality of food here. The sashimi is the best I've had in Toronto and the rolls are imaginative and tasty. Limited space so reservations are a good idea.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

The interior décor is a combination of light wood (similar to traditional Japanese restaurants) and exposed brick. The restaurant is opened concept, no little huts dividing tables, well-lit and has a clean and modern feeling. As you enter and leave, there are cheerful greetings from the entire staff, much like Guu. In fact, this combination sums up my description of JaBistro's food - good traditional dishes with a highlight of modern twists, all served in a simple and unpretentious manner.

First up we received the sashimi sampler ($30). I enjoyed how it was portioned out for my husband and me so that we could each get a taste of every fish option available. As I've mentioned in my review of Hiro Sushi, I normally don't like raw fish and especially not sashimi where there's no rice to mask the rawness. But, I actually ate every piece on the sample and liked it. All the fish was fresh and cut to a reasonable thickness that didn't make it taste fleshy.

Aside from the great food, the service was impeccable. Our waiter, Jin, was extremely attentive and checked in with each dish to make sure we enjoyed it and answered my many questions. I was asked on many occasions if I'd like more hot water for my tea and on the last time when I didn't need anymore, Jin brought me a glass of water without being asked. Even the utensils that accompanied our desserts were polished and spotless. For a more indepth review please visit gastroworldblog.blogspot.ca/2013/03/ja-bistro-toronto.html

Reviewed March 17, 2013

It doesn't.

The course before our 'first' course was excellent - Salmon En Papillote done in a foil was excellent - absolutely excellent. One minute later - the first course arrived - of course it had to be fitted around the salmon - and one of the courses was deep fried. Deep fried does not wait - nor does the deep fried soft shelled crab.

However it just gets worse. The sushi - pre prepared just doesn't work. Cold rice and a hot fired top. not for me.

All of this seemed a bit light so we ordered a beef tartar. What a mistake. This was followed with a comp of a duck gizmo - with a cold - yes that is cold, soft poached egg.

Moving along to the next course - better - which was a black cod. Well cooked but not a patch on Vancouver Island.

Desert - oh well forget it - we went out for ice cream

Good luck -

1  Thank bcwqueenst
Reviewed February 27, 2013

JaBistro is certainly different and more innovative than your regular japanese restaurant in toronto. All the dishes we had were delicious and memorable. The Kamo/smoked duck breast salad was amazing. The egg that goes with it was perfect. The kyukyoku is a must-try! They serve each piece of sushi to you one by one. The fish was extremely fresh and there are many pieces that we've actually never had before. It was definitely an exciting and wonderful food experience. They have a relatively decent selection of sake and their cocktails are good. The service however needs improvement. They seem to be a bit understaffed at the time we went (dinner reservation was at 9pm). That being said, there were only 4 tables there and it should've been manageable. The first server was good and gave us great recommendations. But after he left for the night, there seems to be just the one waitress working there, and she didn't make sure that our drinks are refilled/we get new drinks right away. The bar is supposed to generate a good amount of $ for any restaurant and for them not to make sure that you're "never thirsty" isn't good for business. We also had a hard time understanding what kind of fish we're being served as the sushi chef have a thick japanese accent and his english wasn't the greatest. In the end we didn't care that we didn't know what we're eating because it was just simply amazing.

1  Thank PrincessPrima