“Good Food, Glitzy, Service only average”

Michael's on Simcoe
Ranked #295 of 8,473 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian, American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: Adelaide
Transit: King st streetcar #504 Stop at Simcoe st and walk north one block Yonge / University subway line One block west of St.Andrew station
Description: Michael's on Simcoe playfully combines the best of contemporary cuisine, featuring USDA prime steak, fresh seafood and authentic homemade pastas. Classic cocktails are re-invented to tantalize your taste buds and our extensive wine list will tempt even those with the most discerning taste. Conveniently located in the heart of the Financial and Entertainment districts, Michael's on Simcoe brings new life to one of the most energetic districts in downtown Toronto. This restaurant breaks down the barriers of a traditional steakhouse by challenging the overly masculine ambience that has long been the trademark of its genre.
Toronto
“Good Food, Glitzy, Service only average”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I had a 6:45 reservation at Michael's, so the restaurant was empty when I arrived with my friend, whose birthday we were celebrating. We were given a small table, despite the fact that the place was empty and the couple who arrived after us were offered a larger booth or a smaller table similar to ours. We placed our order after being told about a couple of specials. Our server let me know that I could have one of the main course pastas, a lobster ravioli, in an appetizer portion, so I was pleased. My drink, a cherry martini, pasta and main course tuna were all delicious. The restaurant had filled by then and I overheard a server at the next table giving a list of several more specials than our waiter had enumerated for us. The noise level was mounting as the night wore on. We ordered our desserts which were also very tasty, but despite motioning to the waiter multiple times for the bill, it took 25 minutes until they came with it and then promptly left, with me holding the credit card terminal, which I had to pass to a manager, who had to redo the transaction. As the restaurant got busier, we felt a little ignored.
The prices are very upper end--the lamb was close to $60 and the steak, was steak-house priced, but I have to say that when they gave us smaller portions of our starters, they did halve the prices, which I applaud. I think this restaurant is probably a bit more attentive to couples and groups, but all in all, it was a good food experience. The hostess asked who the birthday girl was as we left!

• Visited November 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Great steaks”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had never heard of Michael's until invited to a corporate dinner in the restaurant. I wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised to discover that steaks are their specialty (the glassed in dry aging room which dominates one side of the room is a dead giveaway!). The New York striploin I ordered was perfectly cooked and as tender a steak as I've ever had.

The decor of the dining room is definitely on the modern side and as it is located in the basement there's little natural light coming into the space. That being said, it is a very nice space that helps enhance the dining experience.

• Visited October 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“Awesome steaks and drinks”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We visited Michael's about two weeks ago. It is a really well designed restaurant, great decor and nice bar.
Menu was quite varied with lots of options even for the non-meat eaters. The rib eye steak was fantastic, and the corn salad appetizer was good too.
Overall service was good, but seems a bit disorganized. Great location and good option for before or after a sporting event.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Will T
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent Food, Modern Atmosphere, Attentive Service”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was our second experience at Michael's and it was even better than the first. My daughter and two grandchildren visited Michael's on a Saturday evening. The atmosphere is sleek and modern and the food is excellent. I often shy away from ordering salmon at any restaurant as I find that it tends to be overcooked and dry. The Irish salmon at Michael's was probably the best piece of fish that I have ever eaten in a restaurant, bar none. My daughter had lamb which she enjoyed and both my granddaughters had sides which were more than enough for each of them. The washrooms are also a pleasant and memorable experience. Michael's is well worth a visit.

Jo van Doorn
Ottawa, Ontario

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Jo v
Edmonton, Canada
“Incredible Meal”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We were told about this restaurant by the concierge at our hotel. The atmosphere is pleasant and the look is modern. Our server was great, anticipating our needs. Our party of 5 has steaks all the way around with a large variety of sides. The steaks were fantastic - everyone raves about them, hreat cuts of meats cooked perfectly. There is nothing that they could have done better, highly recommended.

2 Thank GaryMel