“Perfection!”

Shangri-La Hotel Toronto
Ranked #10 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Our week's stay at the Shangri-La Toronto we were faced with utter perfection. The food, the room and especially the service was consistent and absolutely great! I have rarely stayed in a hotel that has the level of quality and excellence as the Shangri-La Toronto! Kazia, Margarita, Emanuel, Eric, Yann and all others of which I cannot remember their names will be most fondly remembered for the excellent care they provide their guests with! A real retreat for the discerning traveller with 'not even a salad leave being out of place'!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThomasLSW18
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear ThomasLSW18,

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay at the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto. We strive to provide genuine service from the moment our guests step into our hotel and we are pleased to see that you were able to enjoy the facilities and services we had to offer! I will make sure to share your kind words to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Richard Cooke

Write a ReviewReviews (1,271)

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Very Good over all. Would recommend to anyone. The gym and spa spot on? Rooms lovely. Reception area modern. Bar area small but nice with attentive servers. Location good for us. Only niggle ordering breakfast servers were a little vacant 3 days on the run but restaurant manager spot on.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Simon K

Dear Simon K,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with your family. It is always our pleasure to provide our guests with excellent service and we are pleased to hear that you also enjoyed our amenities and facilities. I will make sure to share your comment on the breakfast servers with our management team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

The service was great, the rooms wonderfully appointed and great atmosphere and drinks in the lobby. The concierge was really quite helpful too. I was downtown at this hotel for work and woke up not able to move my neck. I asked for the best chiropractor in toronto and they sent me to 'the clinic' on bay street. It was close to the hotel and after my visit i was 75% better. Next day 100%. They definitely know whats good in the city. I will definitely be returning to the shangri la.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Scott K
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Scott K,

Thank you for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the service, your guestroom and atmosphere in our Lobby Lounge. We strive to provide genuine hospitality from the heart and I am delighted to know our concierge team was able to help you locate a great chiropractor during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Shangri-La hotel, ,Toronto in the near future.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed at the shangri-la on June 28th. It was for one night. I live in Toronto, so it was for a quick night away to celebrate my birthday.

The rooms are well accommodated. The entire bathroom is encased in marble. Stunning.

Just the lack of room bothered me. For the same price (or cheaper) you can get a balcony, or at least a few more sq ft.

I really liked sneaking down to Momofuku to score some compost cookies tho. :)

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14th floor, right in the middle, away from the elevators. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cookies r

Dear Cookies R,

Thank you for your review. We are so delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay during your birthday celebration at the Shangri-La hotel, Toronto. We look forward to welcoming you back to in the very near future.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

My family stayed in 2 rooms on 14th 15th and 16th of July and fell in love with this hotel. The concierge who showed us to the lift after checking in was so friendly and polite. The hotel itself is stylish and the room was amazing. The little tocuhes are what sets it apart from others. The live singers varied through out our stay and were very talented.
We did not get a chance to eat there but had some drinks at the lounge which were the standard hotel price. The drinks menu is in a little book case which was lovely.
All in All a great stay and the technology throughout the hotel is what blew us away like waving your hand to open the bathroom door in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank robyn s

Dear Robyn S,

Thank you for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay and that you enjoyed the live music in our Lobby Lounge and the technology in our hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the near future so you can finally have the chance to try our menu in the Lobby Lounge or signature restaurant, Bosk.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I was pretty excited to stay at Shangri-La hotel, as I've read wonderful things about them. I will admit that stayed here for one night mostly to experience the room decor and the technology advanced rooms.

When walking in to the lobby around 8pm we were greeted by some lovely jazz music. After waking by the non-traditional front desk thinking it was the concierge (instead of the desks that an agent stands behind, they had two computer desks with laptops on them), we sat down with the friendly agent for the rather long check-in procedure, and ended up to our one bedroom suite.

Upon arrival in our room, it was love at first sight. My partner even jokingly hit me and asked why we've never stayed here before when in Toronto. The room was beautifully decorated, and there were some nice cookies in the room left for us, which was definitely a nice touch.

The bathroom was huge, and had a big mirror and counter for getting ready. To the left there was a tub that's rather big compared to most hotels. And on the right there is a good sized shower, and even a separate frosted glass stall for the toilet.

Notice I have left out the technology so far? That's where everything went down hill. The thing I was most excited about (the iPad and being able control the lighting, curtains, drapes, and air conditioning) simply did not work.

The only bit I could get to work was the air conditioning for the living room. The bedroom said it was -4C according to the iPad, so clearly there was an issue there, and I didn't control the bedroom unit either. I tried restarting the iPad to see if it would fix it and it did not. We could still control the lighting and curtains with the buttons scattered around the room, so it's not like we were totally left for the wolves, but the novelty would certainly have been nice.

I will admit that we did not give them the opportunity to fix it. But that's because we arrived at the property around 8pm just in from a flight from Vancouver, didn't head back out to quickly get dinner until probably 8:30, and then get back up at 5am to continue on with our flights.

I emailed the hotel about the issues, and got nothing in return than a small apology (remember, this room was about $360USD!). I had to respond and ask for the $60 I paid to upgrade to the one bedroom suite to be returned, on the grounds that if I hadn't upgraded, everything would have likely been fine in the room assigned.

Had I given them the chance to correct it, I'm sure they could have. But when you're paying so much for the room for just ten hours, you should expect everything to be in working order.

Will I give them another chance in the future? It will take some deep consideration, but possibly.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Thomas R

Dear ThomasR,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad to hear you and your partner enjoyed your room. We are sincerely sorry to hear about your iPad issues and we can assure you that we will look into it so this could be avoided in the future. I really hope to welcome you back so that you can enjoy the other facilities we have in our hotel such as the Spa, our Health Club and our signature restaurant Bosk.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I've paid way more for hotels that weren't anywhere as good in lesser cities. If you're planning a weekend getaway in Toronto this is a great spot. You are nearby great walking streets like King street, as well as a stone's throw from CN Tower. The hotel restaurant Momofuku is not only amazing but amazingly cheap ($15-30 per person if you are not drinking alcohol) but you have several food options nearby (be warned that Toronto kitchens close kind of early most nights).

Things you won't find in many other hotels are: Free wine and maccarroons in the afternoon in the lobby, great seating area that's like a bar in the lobby with amazing bands at night (not rowdy), complimentary Ipad in room not only to browse the web but close curtains/drapes/lights/temperature controls, TV built into the mirror of the bathroom.

Everything from the bedding to the bathrooms is high quality. Valet parking was $48 per night but after exploring the area we decided to take it. Parking in Toronto is expensive, it wasn't worth putting it in an automated underground lot if I would have to pay everytime I took it out. This was the only upcharge and I was ok with it. Supposedly you can even check on your car from a camera on your complimentary Ipad, which I never bothered to do (for the rental). I only get mad when they charge me an arm and a leg for Wifi and they gave it free.

Service is impecable. We tried room service once and it was just ok but really good room service is extremely rare so I won't fault them for that (especially since my order was from the "late night" menu). Products in the bathroom were good enough for my GF to put in the safe every day so housekeeping would give us more. The Nestle pod coffee maker was the maybe the ONLY coffee machine i've had in a hotel that was good enough for me to drink. Usually I make sure hotels have a coffee shop nearby. This one had a Starbucks but I didn't even need to go because of the machine.

The lobby is active but not loud, the rest of the hotel is very quiet. I did not hear a peep in my room all night.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear MontrealMMA,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are so delighted to hear that you and your girlfriend had a wonderful stay and that you enjoyed the service and the amenities we had to offer. We hope to welcome you back very to the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto very soon.