“Nice facility and nice staff”

Shangri-La Hotel Toronto
Ranked #9 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
“Nice facility and nice staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Very attentive staff who were very nice and genuinely seemed to care about my personal needs. I don't feel the experience is differentiated at this price point, but they are trying hard with creative things such as iPads in the hotel room. Room service was just ok.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike D
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Mike D

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that our friendly staff have made your stay at the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto pleasant and memorable. However, we are very sorry that your overall stay did not meet your expectations. We will make sure to share your comments about room service with our management team. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the very near future.

Sincerely

Richard Cooke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

My hubby and I stayed at the Shangri-La for New Year's Eve. We got an upgraded room for an additional $40. We unexpectedly received a welcome package with 2 bottles of water, a box of macarons, a box of cookies, and fresh fruits. The macarons were amazing! The room was clean, the washroom was stunning, the iPad in the room was very convenient for browsing online and express checkout, Nespresso was available for coffee, and an actual hair-dryer not those standard hotel hair-dryers attached on the wall. My only issue with the room was that it was a bit cold. We've attempted to increase the heat through the thermostat but it didn't seem to work. The room was still bearable so we didn't see this too much of a problem. Overall, we have enjoyed our stay, the staff were great, the building was modern and the room was clean. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear Jane W,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay at the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto. We are glad to hear that our guest suite, in-room facilities and amenities have met your expectations. We apologize for the malfunction of the thermostat control and I will make sure to share this comment with the management team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

toronto, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I'm going to be brutally honest because I think when people are spending $350+/night, the hotel needs to be amazing. Don't get me wrong, it was VERY nice, but not as luxurious as I was expecting for the money. We stayed in a premiere king room.

Issues:
perfume in lobby/elevators- overwhelming and headache inducing if you are sensitive to artificial scents. the hotel should just use essential oils if they are trying to achieve an aromatherapy effect or just skip the scents altogether.

lighting in room- needs dimmers on the switches. lights were too bright and could not be adjusted. same with in the bathroom- too bright for a nice relaxing bath, even on the 'vanity' setting.

column in room- blocks view to floor to ceiling windows. not sure if all rooms have this or just ours, but what's the point of the huge windows if the view is blocked?

fridge door- requires you to turn a key to open it, therefore you need two hands to open fridge. awkward and unnecessary.

closet size= massive. why not make this space useable room space, instead of having a closet that could house all of my life's belongings? unless you're staying for a long time (which most are not) seems a little ridiculous.

in room service dining- only 3 items on breakfast list that I could see from the iPad ordering system. not enough variety. and very expensive, which is to be expected in a hotel- but seriously, $19 for an omelette, $8 for a juice & $7-$8 for a coffee?? Speaking of coffee- we could not figure out the coffee maker in the room. All of the pods were labelled in Italian, so you didn't know what kind of coffee you were going to get…and what we got was not good. The coffee was terrible. We had to go outside and down the street to get Tim Horton's coffee, which I am not a huge fan of either, but it was better than the in-room coffee! Unless we didn't know how to use the machine properly, but if that's the case then make it easier to use! Also, when we got water out of the tap for the coffee it was pure white!! I'm not sure what kind of softener or whatever they are using in their water system, but it seemed wrong to get water that looked like cream out of the tap and then use it for coffee, but tasted like water so I'm sure it's fine…just weird.

bathtub- nice, deep, BUT also could not figure it out! I turned this way and that, but got no water! actually had to call someone to help me, which is NOT what I wanted being hungover after NYE..I just wanted a simple bath and not to meet a stranger in my robe so early in the morning!! Also, like most hotels nowadays, there was no fan in the bathroom. Sometimes you need to have some separation between the bathroom goings on and your husband in the room beside you. HOTELS- please put the fans back!! It ruins the mood when you hear your partner pooping.

ice- ok, i get it, ice machines are not cool or trendy. they belong in florida motels, BUT if you need to wait for ice to be brought to you, they need to be a little speedier with it. i called, and waited about 20 mins. then called again and waited another 10 mins. We couldn't leave the room because we wanted our drinks to be chilled when we got back later, so i think 30 mins is too long to wait for ice.

humidity- or lack thereof- this is a problem with all hotels, but i was hoping my $400 room would have this all figured out. the room was SO dry. what is up with that?!?!

ipad- not an issue, actually somewhat of a nice feature BUT (again) somewhat unnecessary. i would much rather have dimmers on the lighting, a fan in the bathroom, some humidity in the air, than have an iPad. most people have their own devices, so spend that money elsewhere!

Ok, so I am being super picky obviously. I am not this picky with most regular priced hotels or bed and breakfasts, BUT I just feel that if you are going to spend the extra money, you should know what you are getting. There are many nice features- the bed was super comfy, the pool area had nice little cabanas and a sauna, and the staff are VERY friendly and helpful, so it was overall a nice time, but I don't know if I would spend the extra money to stay here again….

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a column in it- not sure if they all have one though
3 Thank globalbouncer
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Globalbouncer,

Thank you for your detailed review, we really appreciate it. We are sincerely sorry to hear that some of our guest room amenities did not meet your expectations. I will make sure to share your feedback with our Management team so they can look into it. On another note, we are pleased to know that you found our bed very comfortable and that you enjoyed our Health Club facilities. We strive to treat our guests as if they are a member of our family with our genuine hospitality so we are happy to hear our staff was able to make you feel welcomed. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the very near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Typically high end personal service throughout our stay. Awesome massage and one of the best Health clubs I've seen in a hotel. Rooms were good sized and the bathroom massive - my wife enjoyed the bath. Note this doesn't have the facilities typical of the Asian shangri la hotels. No horizon lounge and no breakfast buffet. The lobby lounge is a popular place for tea/drinks but its worth getting a reservation. A nice stay but lacked the wow factor of the Hong Kong or Bangkok shangri la's.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kellyenz,

Thank you for your review. We are so delighted to have welcomed you to our Shangri-La Hotel property in Toronto and that you received personal service throughout your stay. We strive to make our guests feel like they are part of our family by showing our core values of sincerity and genuine hospitality and we are so pleased to hear that our staff made you feel welcomed at the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed at the Shangri-La Night of December 29th and had the most amazing experience! The hotel is beautiful and the staff id eager to please! The Room was nothing less than spectacular and they made sure to go the extra mile to make our stay the best as possible. The concierge was amazing and very helpful. Check in and Check out was quick and easy. A late checkout was offered to us complimentary which was a very nice surprise. Thank you Shangri-La Hotel for one of the best experience I've had at a hotel in Toronto.

Dear TravelKQ,

Thank you for your review. We are so delighted to hear that you an amazing overall experience for your anniversary at the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto. It is always our pleasure to provide our guests with excellent service and we are pleased to hear our staff was able to go above and beyond to make your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto and to the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto very soon.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel.......one of our favorite stays ever. Attention to detail like no other. Fabulous experience from the moment you walk through their doors.

You definitely feel that your enveloped in luxury.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VVK8
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear VVK8,

Thank you for your feedback. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto. We believe in treating each and every one of our guests like family and we are so delighted to know you had a great experience from the moment you walk into our doors. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto in the near future.

Olmsted Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I traveled to Toronto for business and the Shangri-La Hotel was an approved hotel with my company. My wife tagged along as we were going to stay a few extra days after my meetings. We flew in on Thursday morning and needed an early check in to get ready which they were able to do. I set my wife up with a visit to the spa located at the hotel. I booked her the "Holiday in Paris" which included a 30 min. Vichy shower and 90 min. personal massage. She said it was an amazing spa and one of the best massages she's received. The room was very clean and spacious. Some of the extras were a refrigerator, ipad for personal use and tv in the mirror in the bathroom. It was nice to watch ESPN while showering. The health club was just as impressive. We were greeted by an attendant who showed us the gym, locker room, pool and sauna. We even had a personal cabana where we could relax and watch tv while taking a break from the pool. The location was perfect, close to everything downtown. The staff was always prompt and ready to assist whenever needed. I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Samonac22,

Thank you for your feedback. We are so delighted to hear that you and your wife had an enjoyable stay at the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto. We are also glad to see you were able to enjoy the facilities at our hotel such as the Health Club and the Miraj Hammam Spa. Our staff strive to provide excellent service to our guests and treat them as part of our family so we are happy to see you were well taken taken care of. We look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto and the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto in the very near future.