“Out of the way but worth it”
Review of Bunners bakery

Bunners bakery
Ranked #12 of 122 Bakeries in Toronto
Neighborhood: West End
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I loved this bakery and cannot rave about it enough. Every single bite was delicious and the joy I felt from knowing it was all gluten free was overwhelming.
The staff were helpful and let me take photos of everything!
The only negative I can think of is the fact that it's not a chain!

There are newer reviews for Bunners bakery

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I love their muffins, however it is disconcerting to me that I cannot find nutritional info on them as i've heard that vegan muffins tend to be upwards of 800 calories.
I would recommend them as a special occasion.
I've never had a problem with rude staff in fact they have always been pleasant when I've gone.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I had the extreme displeasure of dealing with Bunners owner, Ashley, after having ordered my birthday cake. Bunners seems to be a business more concerned with their own immediate survival rather than their long term growth, forsaking positive customer interactions with the gratification of a quick monetary transaction. Their one-size-fits-all policy of paying in full upon ordering is a reflection of this.

I was extremely excited to try a Bunners cake so I ordered one for my 40th birthday and paid in full upon ordering. Then we got hit with an ice storm that wiped out power to most of the city.

After inquiring about alternative options with what can be done about my cake order (I had to cancel my 40th birthday celebrations and cancel a booked restaurant for 30 guests) I was met with the proverbial "Sorry, we can't help you" line, delivered by not one, not two, but three different people, presumably as a feeble attempt to filter out unwanted customers concerns. I was told to "email the owner" when the owner, Ashley, was standing right there. Nice Ash. Small neighbourhood business, eh?

After Ashley glorified her bravery by saying how she walked to her bakery at 6am (they coulda used your brand of bravery on the front lines in Afghanistan Ashley!) I explained how these extenuating circumstances forced me to cancel my own birthday celebrations.

Refusing to accommodate me in any way, Ashley dished out line after line and complained that she'd have to swallow the loss and throw out the cake, something she was hell-bent on not doing but would rather I swallow the loss completely. Any business owner knows that you can cut up the cake and offer discounted slices as a promotion to attract more passerbys into your store on a bad weather day.

I suggested that she only refund me half the value of the cake and retain a portion to cover her costs and I would buy a new cake next week for when my event was rescheduled. Evidently, Ashley knows little math and couldn't grasp the opportunity I had presented her with. Instead, in order to " not talk to you people anymore", she begrudgingly refunded me the total value of the cake and hung up on me after a terse and sarcastic "Happy Holidays".

Wow.

I suspect Ashley is a little wet behind the ears, gotten in over her head when attempting to open a business based on what she thinks is a specialty product which is extremely overpriced. While I can't review Bunners on the quality of their product, I can certainly say that their short-sightedness in dealing with customer satisfaction and retention and their inability to see beyond the green is a big disadvantage to them and a disservice to their customer base. I was excited to try Bunners but I'm left with an extremely bitter taste after having the misfortune of dealing with such a childish owner.

4  Thank SerafinoCa
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The staff was incredibly rude to begin with. Upon looking at the prices, it is extremely expensive yet I bought a cinnamon bun. It tasted like sand paper, was really heavy, I didn't even taste any cinnamon and it was TOO SWEET. I did not finish it, I tossed it. I noticed Sweet Trolley Bakery advertising cinnamon buns and I tried them out the next day. Wow what a difference, the sign was correct, the best cinnamon buns I have tried. Don't waste your money on bunners when there is a real bakery beside them and the prices are amazing.

3  Thank helenlibra23
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Amazing cupcakes and raspberry crumble cake! Even my Meat eating, gluten loving boyfriend had to admit the cupcakes were delightful, moist and full of flavor. Highly recommended!