“Not one of Cirque's best shows, but worthwhile”

Amaluna- Cirque Du Soleil
Ranked #97 of 538 things to do in Toronto
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I've seen 6 or 7 Cirque du Soliel shows in several different cities, and I've loved them all. If you're a Cirque fan, of course you'll go see Amaluna, and if you've never seen one of their shows it's a decent introduction. At the same time, I thought Amaluna was a relatively weak show by Cirque standards. The circus acts, with two or three exceptions, were rather run of the mill, even if expertly performed. The music, played by an all female band, was very loud and bombastic. I enjoyed it, but it did not have the charm and sense of mystery I've heard at other Cirque shows. The two guitarists appeared several times on stage, which I guess was fine, but kind of a distraction from the circus acts. The theme of the show has to do with female coming of age (70% of the performers are female), and like all Cirque shows was a bit opaque. The costumes were beautiful. The stage set was rather minimal, though the show makes good use of a big vessel full of water. As several reviewers have noted the clowning was weak, just not very funny or clever. I know ticket prices are all over the map, but the venue is small enough that even less expensive tickets are likely to be fine. You can pay $180 for tickets that are only a few rows from $125 or cheaper seats. I would also add that concessions at Cirque shows are way overpriced for what they are. Bring a bottle of water in your purse and no one will be the wiser. So my bottom line is go see the show, since there's nothing like Cirque, and their shows are always worthwhile in my experience. But if you've seen other Cirque shows prepare to be just a tad underwhelmed.

3  Thank 57_Mercator
"luzia"
"skills"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Normally, a Cirque show has me enthralled, start to finish. This one did not offer that as a possibility, as it was broken up at points with over-long clown segments that were not funny and even annoying. I can't believe that this show has been around for over 2 years and no sort of rewrite has been done for the awful clowns. Just read reviews from 2012.

That said, it was still Cirque. The costumes, music , and acts still impressed. Ovo and Totem were more brimming with good acts though. Overall, still worth seeing.

Oh, and if you've been to the harbor before the casino broke ground, the location is now next to the busy main strip. Give yourself an extra 10 minutes just so you can find the new location.

6  Thank Tapakidney
Reviewed August 11, 2014

My third Cirque Du Soleil show, previous shows: Totem at National Harbor and Beatles Love in Las Vegas. You cannot really compare the Vegas shows to the traveling shows because Vegas is a permanent and larger venue, with a larger ticket price. I love that you can experience the amazing talent of the Cirque team without the expense of a Vegas trip. Amaluna was an amazing show. The all-girl band was great, a little loud, but the music was really beautiful. The talent, as always, is breathtaking and every move was perfect. My only negative comment about the show is the clowns who fill the gaps between set changes, etc. They were used for every break and after a couple rounds they were annoying. I understand the need for filler, but for me, a couple jugglers at the front of the stage mixed with the clowns would have been more entertaining than the clowns alone. I thought parking was a little expensive too, $15, considering you were parking in a field.

3  Thank SAnn63
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I have to say that this was a wonderful show. I have not seen a Cirque show in a long time and this was a perfect show to see. It is a typical show with a touch of a modern aspect to it. I even bought the CD. The music was very creative and was very different from all the shows that I have seen. I do agree that the clowns were a little out of place, but they were perfect for the kids so I did not minus a star for that. I really loved how fast the scened changed and also how everyone helped with changing the stage. What a really missed are the high acts like the flying trapeze or tight rope. Both Corteo and La Nouba have these acts and I really missed looking at the highest part of the tent to see these acts.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We saw the Amaluna show in Boston. As others have noted, it does not compare to Vegas shows, such as O that we saw there, but you don't have to travel to Vegas! The acrobatics and dancing were wonderful to watch. But, the music was so loud it was PAINFUL. We were half way back in the audience and we could feel our chests vibrate from the music. We kept hoping that the music would stop. Even our teenage niece, who can tolerate loud music more than us, thought it was too much. Too bad, the music detracted from what could have been a great show.