“Good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Momofuku Shoto

Momofuku Shoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Momofuku Shoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #511 of 8,401 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Asian, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Description: Shōtō is located on the third floor of Momofuku Toronto in the heart of downtown Toronto. The three-story building is also home to Noodle Bar, Nikai, Daishō and Christina Tosi's Milk Bar. At Shōtō, guests are seated along a kitchen counter where they are served a seasonally inspired tasting menu by the chefs. Dinner is comprised of 8 - 10 courses and served Tuesday - Saturday. Reservations and walk-ins are welcome.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Food was delicious and fast, seating was uncomfortable and you could tell (it was in /out) restaurant . However I would eat there agin if I was in a hurry

Visited June 2014
1 Thank BillJKnight

“Too salty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Last night, a friend and I decided to go to Momofuku Daisho for dinner, and all honesty the food was not that spectacular. Everything seemed to be coated in salt. Not only that but much of our dishes were too over cooked. The atmosphere was great though, we sat next to Adam Sandler, he got the prime rib and hardly at it, so it's quite possible he had the salty problem too.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Leana D
“Average food, cool style, but unlikely to return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

This restaurant is very busy, despite the reservation getting seated was slow. they asked us to have drink in the hotel lobby attached, but neglected to state the the bill nor drinks were transferable to the restaurant. The noodles were average as was the cereal milk ice cream. The take home truffles from the milk bar were however amazing.

Visited May 2014
“Momofuku Daisho”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

David Chang said there's nothing like Momofuku in Toronto, and he's probably right. The steady decline of his restaurant since its inception is spectacular. On our last visit (the fifth since it opened), the whole speckled trout was overcooked and dry, the dry aged beef ribeye was all fat, raw and hardly edible, and the crack pie was dry. But to add insult to injury the service was intolerable. After being seated, we found that our napkins were damp. The waiter questioned our observation and grudgingly replaced them. Service was inattentive and we had to flag down servers to refill our drinks. The bill for 4 people was almost $600 with wine. Sadly, there was nothing to encourage our return.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
“Did not Live Up to the Hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Torontonians were well aware of the award-winning Momofuku restaurants in NYC. So when David Chang finally opened the noddle bar in Toronto, there was this huge hype. There were people lining up outside of the restaurant for hours every night during the opening months. Today, you don’t really see that anymore.

I went to the restaurant 4 times since its opening. I told myself “never again” every single time after I finished my meal. I kept on going back only because it’s across the street from where I work.

To be fair, the service was not bad and the vibe was decent. I did not like my experience simply because the food wasn’t as good as some of its competitors. The noodle itself was okay, but the soup base (of momofuku ramen) was nothing spectacular. I think one of the previous reviewers said the food was "the bland western version of ramen". I think that's the perfect way to describe it. I tried quite a number of things on the menu. The only item that I thought was really good was the pork bun. (Not sure whether it’s still on the menu though). Also, while a lot of the ramen restaurants allow you to customize your noodle soup, Momofuku was not willing to make any modification. (I did not like runny yolk so I asked whether they can cook the egg for slightly longer and they said no).

Anyways, if you are looking for good ramen, just walk a bit further north to Sansotei or Kinton. You will find much more satisfying food elsewhere.

• Visited October 2013