“Fortuitous Happenstance”

Neighborhood: North York
toronto
“Fortuitous Happenstance”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We went to Dr. Laffa on my second attempt and found them closed for many days due to Passover. On the way back, I spotted Moldova restaurant and skidded (picture a cartoon car on 2 wheels) into their parking lot. The airy restaurant had some late lunch regulars who gestured to us to take a table. Presently a waitress came by with breads, water and menu. Moldova being in between Romania and Ukraine, I expected food with influences from many regions. The menu reflected foods of many cultures. The pumpernickel bread was not house made, but it had the most pumpernickel flavor of any baked goods I have had. I ordered the cabbage rolls and my wife ordered the Brizol Moldova (veal schnitzel with mushrooms). The cabbage rolls were served with sour cream on the side and tomato sauce on the side. The rolls were seasoned with dill and were very tasty and lean and had a unique flavor. My wife's schnitzel did not looked like the (flat presented) Bavarian version. The schnitzel rolls were rolled up with sautéed mushrooms inside with gravy and steamed veggies on the side. The coating was crunchy and the meat was moist and tender. Over all the food was very tasty. The hit to the wallet was quite reasonable.

• Visited April 2013