“Best meal of our 16 days in Toronto”
Review of Eat Fresh Be Healthy - CLOSED

Eat Fresh Be Healthy
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Gainesville, Florida
“Best meal of our 16 days in Toronto”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are spending a month in Toronto, and as part of our vacation, we are eating meals in many restaurants around the city.

This one has been the absolute best so far.

We went to the AGO museum for the Francis Bacon exhibit, and then noticed that the #2 Trip Advisor restaurant of Toronto's 6000+ options was just a few blocks away on Dundas. So, we of course decided to go.

Upon approaching the restaurant, there was a handwritten sign on the door saying they were out of their Summerlicious lunch menu and would reopen for dinner. It was nearly 5pm and we decided to see what time the dinner menu would be served. Almost immediately, a nice woman came to the door and we asked her about dinner. She said they could begin serving dinner immediately, invited us inside, and allowed us to choose a table. We very quickly realized that almost every table in the place had a "reserved" sign on it, so we were in luck that our early arrival got us a spot.

The Summerlicious menu includes three courses for $25. I had the butter chicken with cashews as an appetizer, leek and mushroom pasta as my main course, and mango panna cotta for dessert. My husband had lamb rolls, build you own salmon burger, and créme caramel ice cream.

First of all, the plating truly is exquisite. It is a photo worthy meal, no matter how many dollar signs you're used to having next to your food. Beautiful in every way. I also like that the kitchen is out in the middle of the restaurant, so you can see everything that's going on. Fresh veggies sliced and immediately thrown in the pan. Yum.

Secondly, the food tastes even better than it looks. Flavorful, moist, fresh. Incredible. Having eaten 2 to 3 meals out every day since we've been here, I feel like I've experienced some of the "best of the best" for normal people, and this is well deserving of its #2 rating.

Finally, the server and chef were both so nice. I'm assuming they are the owners of the restaurant, and went out of their way to insure that everything was perfect for us. Very kind people.

Please note that there are limited payment options here, so bring cash to be safe. The decor leaves a bit to be desired, but ignore the paint job and focus instead on the food. You'll certainly be glad you did.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank BadLlama17

Toronto
“A name that's a bit deceiving”
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend went to check it out after a workout thinking with the word healthy in their name they would have healthy food.

Menu was very limited, no appetizers or main courses could really be considered healthy. I am sure it's fresh as it looked very clean and the food did look good and prepared with care. Just don't go there if you're on a diet or you watch what you eat.

We did not stay as nothing on the menu looked healthy.

2 Thank James P
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great!”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Wonderful meal - fresh and beautifully presented. It was a blast watching the chef put the meal together. They have a great deal of pride and passion.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Devin P
Toronto, Canada
“Good, Not Great”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We decided to try a new place for dinner- so we took to tripadvisor and settled on Eat Fresh Be Healthy, based on it's positive reviews. The restaurant does not have an impressive street appearance-it looks small and "cozy". Needless to say they only offer tap water for a drink, which we were not informed of before, but that didn't overly bother us as is clear by them that their focus is in their food. After eating our meals, we were underwhelmed, as the flavours weren't delicious like they could have been. Value was fantastic, as it was a $25 prix fix. Maybe a better lunch spot than dinner-overall it was a disappointing experience, as the reviews were rave-including many positive reviews about an average milk chocolate dessert. Pass.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Mmmsteak
Toronto, Canada
“Discovery out of no where”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We decided to go here for an office lunch. Some one from our group had been here before and highly recommended it and with the summerlicious menu, the price was pretty good.

The food was pretty awesome and the staff was friendly and smiling. The soup was actually more like a mocktail - watermelon, passion fruit with mint - extremely refreshing. The main course was a ravioli with wine based white sauce. I found the sauce a bit more salty than required and the dessert was also awesome.

What left me stunned was that this was rated as the number 2 restaurant in Toronto when I came back and looked forward to post a review. The restaurant was good but it was not t hat great....! For the number 2 restaurant tag, the place looked a bit run down and i would have expected a little more sophistication from the people who are running it.

This made me think, these guys didnt plan to be the number 2 restaurant..they were just voted to be. They attracted enough attention and kept up with the good food to reach there..Kudos to them...! All the best guys, keep it up.

• Visited July 2014