“Food is awesome, great value!”
Review of Eat Fresh Be Healthy - CLOSED

Eat Fresh Be Healthy
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The food here is REALLY good. Shrimp bruschetta, chicken with black pepper with heirloom vegetables, and the butternut squash and coconut dessert were so good. Group of seven, we had different dishes, and everyone loved it!! Alcohol free. 25 dollar price fix.. Great value!

1  Thank CATLOVERS

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have created a food Meetup group in Toronto, with the emphasis being on dining in restaurants that offer tasty and affordable food. Little did I know that most of the restaurants that serve affordable and delicious food in Toronto, do not take reservations. Bummer! Boy do I have my work cut out for me.

I spend a great deal of time reading through reviews and browsing menus, and one evening I was growing weary and I was just going to give up for the evening when I stumbled upon Be Fresh, Eat Healthy. I know, I thought it was an odd name too. According to the majority of the reviews, this place was deemed to be a "hole in the wall" but with beautifully presented and delicious tasting food. If that wasn't enticing enough, the portions were described as huge and great value at $25 for 3 courses (they don't have an a la carte menu)! I immediately contacted the restaurant and made reservations for 12 people.

When we arrived at the restaurant, our table was ready for us in the back. By the time everyone had arrived, we already knew what we wanted to order. In fact, I always know what I want to order because I have a habit of reviewing the menus of restaurants I plan to visit repeatedly until I am certain of what I am going to order. I know you are thinking, "get a life!" :) What can I say? I love food!

Below are some pictures of the food we ordered. And let me tell you, the food was spectacular! So much so that I returned with another group of people 2 weeks later! Chef Dan has this amazing ability to mix savory and sweet. The combination of fruits, meat and vegetables somehow worked. I would normally coward away from eating both vegetables and fruits together, but Chef Dan managed to convert me. It was also my first time eating quail. How he managed to get the quail to remain juicy and tender is beyond me. Quail is one of those tricky birds to cook because of its small size.

All my guests enjoyed their meal. And believe me, that is a hard feat to accomplish. In total I brought 24 people to this restaurant in a span of 3 weeks, and every person gave it 5/5. I just fear that they are going to realize how much of a deal their menu is that they will bump up the price. But that said, I would not blame them. How many fixed menus offer quail and shrimp as an appetizer option? And we cannot forget the portion sizes. Just the pork chop alone had people in awe. I highly recommend that you pay them a visit. ASAP! Oh, and say hi to Chef Dan and his wife! They are truly 2 lovely people running a hidden treasure in Toronto.

FYI:
*Do not email or use their "contact us" option on their website. They do not check email.
*They don't have a liquor license.

7  Thank Itanni B
Reviewed December 29, 2013

By planning ahead by one day and phoning in advance, Eat Fresh and Be Healthy was able to accommodate my dietary needs of a gluten free vegetarian. I thought the restaurant atmosphere was intimate and great for actually visiting and interacting with the people you love during a meal. The portion size was better than generous and we enjoyed each of our courses! I am about to eat my leftovers now!

3  Thank GrannyRE
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Tried this place based on the reviews on trip advisor. Overall, a really nice experience for both of us. Quiet atmosphere with chefs who genuinely take pride in their cooking. They are very well trained it appears and the presentation of the food is quite nice.
The price is absolutely fair for what you get -- a rarity in Toronto. You do indeed get high end food for a reasonable $25 each.
I had the quail, salmon, and the butternut squash/coconut dessert. The ingredients are all obviously very fresh. My only complaint would be that the quail is very bony - or at least my portion was, without much meat. It tasted wonderful, but eating it was a bit difficult. Probably just unlucky. The salmon was very nice, though could have benefitted from being a bit crispier. And the dessert was delicious. The person I dined with had the arugula salad and chicken, and she has no complaints. Loved it.

Definitely worth visiting.

2  Thank glur21215
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

This was an amazing experience. We found this place on TripAdvisor and were glad we stopped by.

I can sum it up very easily. Fancy (presentation, ingredients and taste), delicious local fresh food that won't break the bank. We went for lunch and it's $20/pp, but so worth it. A casual lunch turned into feeling like it was our anniversary.

The restaurant isn't the most ecstatically pleasing, but gets the job done. The service is genuinely friendly, warm and they really care about their clients.

The only negative criticism is that the kitchen is open to the restaurant, which is a nice concept, however the cooking smell and fumes became quite overwhelming by the end of our dining experience. Perhaps it was just a one-off experience.

We would highly recommend this place.

1  Thank fancytravelreviews