“Budapest?...yes!”

Neighborhood: Chinatown
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Budapest?...yes!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Visited twice already. A Disclaimer: Only tried Hungarian food…
The ambiance: to say it mildly - Kensington-market-eclectic! The décor is not to my taste, the place could use some refreshing with new tables, chairs, paint… But it seems to be working in this well known and loved part of the city, where you feel like time-shifted back to the 70s. The place was semi-full to full. Younger crowd. Service is quite good, and pretty fast. The waiter is professional and knowledgeable. Now about the food…
It was a very long time ago since I tasted such great and authentic home-style Hungarian food in Toronto (other than when cooking it myself)! After the decline of Yorkville’s Coffee Mill, death of Prague and Elisabeth’s Deli and just a few little hole-in-the-wall spots remaining on Bloor, this place was a pleasant surprise. A friend took me here the first time, we were looking for a quick grab before a concert. I was hesitant because of the awkward concept… so modestly I ordered an appetizer and a salad. It was a “initiation” test to check out the food for the first time. The breaded mushrooms were excellent: crunchy & not too greasy, served properly with a tartar sauce. Beet salad just the way you’d have it in Budapest – slightly sweet & sour. I tried some of my friend’s Chicken Paprikás and went to heaven. A week or so after, I dropped by with my wife on a Sunday afternoon. The place was empty but soon after we sat, a few more tables got occupied – always nice not to be alone in a joint! The young ladies opted for Thai, it looked good. We wanted to try more of the Hungarian stuff. OMG! I ordered the, by now “safe” Chicken Paprikás (Hungarian creamy chicken stew with paprika and homemade egg-dumplings) and my wife had the Budapest Schnitzel. The Paprikás was consistently good but the other dish was a new heavenly shock! A huge (but not over-pounded) schnitzel, breaded just like good Hungarian chefs do, laid over a bed of the crunchiest fries (eat this junk-food joints!) and was topped with a divine combination of quick-sautéed chicken livers, peppers, onions and bacon! This was probably the best chicken liver I ate in my life! Recommended to all culturally damaged with the “meat’n’potato” diet – who’d like to be adventurous! As half of our meal (due to portion sizes) got packed in take-out boxes, we reluctantly decided to order Crepes (Hungarian Palacsinta), with walnut-sugar filling. I almost passed-out, haven’t have this good Palacsinta since my grandma died! Two huge crepes, soft and juicy and flavorful were melting in our mouths with the crunchy sugar & walnut filling! Heaven! The excellent espresso and a shot of Pear Pálinka were a great addition.
If you don’t mind the décor or even like it, and you don’t expect hi-end dining but want to experience good (Hungarian) food, don’t miss this unusual place if you’re in the area! The fact that in today’s Toronto, Hungarian food is probably more exotic than Thai, should be a good reason to challenge your foodie-self and experience. Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2013

Montreal, Canada
“Great location and delicious meals”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Has a great patio with large umbrellas, menu is great value. Loved the hungarian traditional dishes. Chicken pad thai quite original.
Recommended!

• Visited October 2013
toronto
“lack of customer service”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Four of us were meeting for lunch, decided on the Hungary Thai. we'd all been here before and while it's not outstanding it does have variety. we arrived at 11:30, opening time according to their sign but door locked and no one in sight. we returned closer to noon, saw a woman inside and knocked on the door. asked her if she was opening soon. she said 'she had no idea when she would be opening' as she was by herself. if she had said food would be ready in a half hour we would have sat and had drinks till then. but she offered nothing. so we went two doors down and enjoyed a mexican meal at a place that was not quite ready either, but they did serve us drinks and gave us a time frame. will NOT be returning to the Hungary Thai

• Visited August 2013
Central Newfoundland
“Homemade salad dressing would've helped”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The decor here is simple, but the menu is bizarre! Both the pad Thai and schnitzel were fantastic. Daughter ordered a Caesar salad. It was drowned in bottled dressing. How did we know it was bottled? The cap was under a piece of lettuce...one plate. A replacement was brought immediately, but we were still charged for it. All in all, though, it was a great example of the eclectic neighbourhood it is in. Kensington Market is to be missed!

Visited July 2013
San Francisco, California
“Quirky mix”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Thai food and Hungarian food. Quite the fusion. Schnitzel + Pad Thai is something I have never had before. Enjoyed them both, worked well together. Minimalist decor. Kind staff. Worth the visit for something different.

• Visited July 2012