“Best meal we had in Toronto”
Review of Ursa - CLOSED

Ursa
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Cross street: Shaw St
Transit: Take the Queen Streetcar to the Shaw stop, or Bus 63 Southbound from Ossington Station.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just excellent. So good we came a second time on a 5 day trip. Halibut was lovely and the vegetarian meal was totally yummy. The sprout salad was delicious and a beautiful presentation. Quality ingredients with innovative presentation with getting too fussy. Desserts needed a little help though, I must say.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I appreciate a good meal but would not consider myself a 'foodie'. My wife and I went to Ursa and enjoyed the rabbit and foie gras appetizer and the lobster and pork loin and the chicken for main. Both the mains were good but used so many different ingredients, sometimes it was hard to decipher. And some of the flavours were unusual when put together. The rabbit and foie gras appetizer was very nice. For dessert we had the textures of chocolate and it was an experience - lots of very rich and very different chocolate flavours in one dish. If you are looking for a foodie experience, go and enjoy it. If you want a really good meal that will satisfy your tummy, I would go elsewhere.
Oh, and what's with the stripped down cinder block walls with the original poor grey primer paint job. They didn't spent much on dining room décor!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Managed to get into the restaurant without a reservation on a Monday night. Lovely outdoor area at the back, where you can see the staff harvest fresh greens and produce from the roof. The interior is also quite striking and I expect you could have a very pleasant evening just sitting at the bar.

Staff were very knowledgeable and were invested in the menu, which is always important to me. The portions are small but each dish is carefully constructed and full of complex and surprising flavours. Take the time to enjoy each meal; this is not the place to come to for a quick meal. Take time and listen to how the meal was put together. Its a bit like unwrapping a present.

Service was slow and could have been a bit more attentive, but its certainly not fussy. One of my new favourite restaurants. The final experience was that the chef brought out two tiny home made desserts as a parting gift. I only wish I could remember what he put in them, but they were incredibly flavourful.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I came here after reading the Now review of their brunch. I wasn't disappointed. I'm gluten and lactose intolerant, and I figured I couldn't ahve the béarnaise, which was in the dish most highly recommended in the review. But they make it with hazelnut oil instead of butter, and you'd never know. It was so rich and creamy, with just enough lemon juice, and it soaked into the slightly sweet, perfectly browned potato rosti. Apparently some people complain about only getting one duck egg on top of the rosti, but it was huge, so rich and creamy, and apparently cooked at 63 C sous vide, so it's perfect every time with a custardy bright yellow yolk.

The dish is so filling, especially with the salty duck sausage and breakfast-style duck sausage. The back patio was empty when I went on a long weekend but I think it should be packed every weekend from now until snow. And it's not even expensive. The plate was around $13 I think. That's way better than your average poorly cooked eggs benny on the Queen West strip.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We went here for a nice romantic dinner and ate the vegetarian tasting menu accompanied by wine pairing. Both the food, drinks and staff far exceeded our expectations, and we had high expectations. The vegetarian dishes they created were extremely creative, which was a lovely surprise as many places struggle to make vegetarian dishes in the first place. We also appreciated that the tofu was made in house. It was a fantastic and highly memorable experience for the both of us.