“Lovely little place for a drink outside”
Review of The Oxley

The Oxley
Ranked #138 of 8,516 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely little place for a drink outside”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We didn't eat here but had a drink with some friends outside on the patio. A lovely place to watch the world go by on a warm evening.

Visited July 2014

Oakville, Canada
“Don't Call Me "Dear"”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had breakfast here while staying at the Hazelton Hotel, across the street.
it is a cute looking British style pub, owned by the proprietors of the "Queen and Beaver".
I ordered a Bloody Caesar, which was undrinkable because of extreme over-spicing.
My omelette , on the other hand was bland, the potatoes served with it, were pre-prepared and greasy.
My husband's Full English wasn't hot.
Here is my main criticism of many young and not not so young servers working in the GTA.
They address women as "dear", or "hun". This young server was in her late twenties and I am fifty plus.
Owners and mangers, please, please, please instruct your servers to address women as "Madam", as is the case in the U.K. and Europe.
It is disrespectful and demeaning to be called "dear" by a twenty something.
We won't be back.

• Visited July 2014
“Much better than average pub”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Everything about this place is a step up from your average Toronto pub: the food (English breakfast very food), the cocktails, the service. Cosy interior. Not the cheapest pub, but possibly worth the premium, if you feel like a classier pub outing.

• Visited June 2014
Toronto
“Incredible food, good beers, great service and cool atmosphere”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I'd been to The Oxley a few times to have a beer with a buddy after work on a Thursday or Friday, but I'd never eaten there. Although I love the place, I simply assumed that the food would be okay but overpriced---it is in Yorkville after all!

I recently met my buddy and we decided to stay for dinner at the bar. He'd eaten there many times and assured me the food was great. I was still slightly skeptical.

Did I say Yorkville? And if anyone has read my other reviews, they know I've commented on the cost vs portion size vs quality of lamb at a few places. This was a lamb dish for $27 in Yorkville so my expectations weren't high. Even if it was great, I assumed the portion would be tiny.

Boy was I WRONG! I owe The Oxley an apology, just for having those thoughts. The lamb was amazing! I actually have raved about it to friends and can't wait to return. Sorry, I can't recall what my buddy had but I do recall it looked great and he was pleased with the dish.

We tried a few draught beers I had never had before based on the bartender's recommendation and they were great too!

I returned to The Oxley a couple of weeks ago to sit on the patio on a Saturday afternoon with my wife. We had a few drinks, no food, but we had a great time. Although the patio is smaller than many, it's perfect! I highly recommend you get there soon.

P.S. I didn't tick the box that yes this was one of the best meals I'd ever had in a restaurant because it was a small dinner with beers (no apps, no dessert), so I didn't think it was worthy of the category best ever although the food was amazing!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Dave_Shutterbug
Evanston, Il
“Good Restaurant”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were staying in a hotel in Yorkville and walked around the area to find a place for lunch on a Sunday. We were attracted to the Oxley because it was quiet, didn't have loud music. Our lunch was quite good, the service excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the restaurant.

• Visited June 2014