“Come for the tacos, stay for the late night chats amongst friends!”
Review of Grand Electric

Grand Electric
Reserve with OpenTable
Grand Electric is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #223 of 8,576 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: West End
“Come for the tacos, stay for the late night chats amongst friends!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

First things first: This isn't your typical sit down restaurant. This also isn't a Mexican restaurant. Nor does it claim to be either! Grand Electric is all about an LA/Miami flare to mex cuisine. They are about quick service and creative seating options. They're about bourbon and good times. Old school rap in the background, barstool or picnic table style sitting and dim lighting prevail. If you are new visiting the Parkdale area of Queen St. West, or if you're visiting Toronto for the first time and are feeling adventurous THIS is the best place to start your night party on the right track. Expect long waits (first come/serve) and expect the wait to be worth it. Ps. Did I mention they have a killer selection of Bourbon?!?!

Ottawa, Canada
“Yum Yum”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I may be the last person on the planet who had not heard about Grand Electric so it was not over-hyped in my mind.
I went on a Monday night with a friend...possibly the only day of the week you don't have to line up to get in. I just don't line up for food.
We sat at a small table at the back where servers flow in and out of the kitchen.
What I liked:
* OMG - I had no idea there was any such thing as a cauliflower taco and it was superb!
* Fresh, flavourful salsa, guacamole, tortillas, slaw and other toppings
* Seared tuna with mole sauce was tasty but not sliced very well...extremely thin at one end and unmanageably thick at the other
* Fish tacos were not over battered, not too greasy - perfect!
* Bourbon lemonade cocktails were delicious
* despite its popularity, the prices were fair
* service was really friendly and prompt

What I didn't like
* Maybe I'm getting old but the music was too loud, I could barely hear my friend
* uncomfortable chairs

• Visited June 2013
Toronto
“Really hyped, but still good”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have a problem when restaurants get over-hyped. I get my hopes up far too high, and from time to time, restaurants start to rest on their laurels.

I had dropped by here a few weeks ago, and the noise, was frankly deafening. It was a forty-minute wait, so we took a reservation, and wound up eating at neighbour Chantecler, which is always fabulous.

I was feeling tacos for lunch, so we headed out -- late -- a 2:00PM lunch still results in taking my phone number, and our going for a walk over to the nearby gelateria for a coffee. At the appointed phone call, we walked back, and the time was less than expected.

The place was noisy -- no longer deafening as it was at dinner, which I suspect, given the bill, is a means for turning tables over. I still couldn't hear my partner clearly, but she's a soft speaker.

Food -- great. Tacos. Beef cheeks with a nice helping of guacamole and japeno peppers were lovely. Fish taco -- very well done. Good spicing. The fried squid hoagie - messy and delicious.

All in all -- good food, reasonable prices, and a fun place. Would I go back for dinner? Only if they keep the noise level down.

Toronto, Ontario
“Wonderful Food -- A Bit Noisy”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This restaurant is usually busy at both lunch and dinner so we decided to arrive for a weekend lunch just before noon; the place was busy already.

We were seated at a communal table with 3 other people who were on their way to the Toronto FC soccer game.

The tacos are fresh and nicely presented. We started with a plate of their home made chips and guacamole. I would say that the chips were fine while the guac was just OK. The guac could have used a bit more seasoning in my opinion. I would probably skip the chips the next time.

The star attraction is no doubt the tacos. They are about 4 to 5 inches in diameter and we ordered 5 for two people. The best in our opinion were the beef cheeks and the baha fish. Both has excellent flavours. The chicken, pork and vegetarian tacos were all tasty as well but not as good as the other two.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a moderately priced meal. Service was friendly and prompt. By the way, if you are a bourbon fan you will admire what they have to offer.

Finally be prepare for a bit of background music while you dine. The sound level was probably a tad above where it should be for people to have a conversation without having to raise their voices.

“Toronto's Best Tacos”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Finally had an opportunity to visit Grand Electric this past Saturday after hearing so many great things about the place. Verdict? Amazing food, but I could definitely do without the uncensored hip-hop music.
We started with some of their home made chips and fantastic guacamole and salsa. Chips are not greasy and have just the perfect amount of crunch.
Next up a series of their famous tacos. We had the Beef Cheeks, Spicy Chicken, Pork Tinga and the star of the show, the Baja Fish. These are all perfectly prepared, overflowing with flavor. A real sensation of taste. You could easily eat 10! Reasonable price too, at $3.60/each. We topped these tacos off with a beer, Modelo Negra from mexico and my wife had the GE Sour cocktail, a house specialty.
All of the above fantastic, and highly recommended. The music, however, could be a sour point for lots of people. While I am no prune when it comes to hip-hop, I question Grand Electrics use of the uncensored material, especially since the restaurant has many younger children as patrons. There were two tables with kids when we were there. If those were my kids and I heard those lyrics that we heard yesterday, I would be offended and very upset that they would play that. They really need to rethink this practice.
Otherwise....GO! You will not be disappointed, and although we did not have to wait on an early Saturday afternoon, long lineups and wait times are the norm here.
Rating 8/10