“Worst place ever ...”

Cuisines: Cuban
Neighborhood: West End
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had a reservation for 8:00 PM tonight but arrived at 7:45 PM just to be on the safe side. Nobody apparently was aware of our reservation. We wanted to see the Tango show, so decided to order some drinks and a few tapas. It took almost 30 minutes (no joke) just to see the menu. Yes ... Just to see the menu so we could order. It took an hour to get our drinks and another hour to get the food. Guacamole was very good, but the gambas were awful. small and rubbery ... We ate one and didn't touch the rest. Remaining dishes were not very good (we barely touched them). Also, nobody offered us some water. Total waste of money and valuable time. Needless to say I won't go back.

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Contrary to what was advertised on their website, cover charge for live music is not waived for dinner patrons. Be prepared to pay an extra $10 per person after spending $$$ on dinner.
Shame.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Why do people review places that they have been to more than twenty four months ago, I think there should be some limits, lol

1  Thank Cindy O
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I want to comment about my bitter experience at Latina on Mother’s day 2014.
Two years ago a group of friends and I went to Latinada to celebrate my birthday, that day the food was good, nothing extraordinaire but good, however the service was very slow, the owner came and apologized, he said that they didn’t expect to be that busy that night and they were under staff, just 1 waitress for the whole restaurant, since we weren’t in a rush and they had life music, (2 guys with a guitar), we were ok.
This year, we decided again to go to Latinada to celebrate mother’s day, we were around 60 peoples including kids, one of our friends called the owner and asked him if we can reserve the whole restaurant for that activity, since I think they do not open on Sundays, and he said yes, but we have to pick from the Fix menu, wish was understandable, the cost will be $25 per adult + drinks, and applicable taxes, we should all have as appetiser Patacones(Dip fried Plantain served with salsa,) Yuca Frita(Dip fried cassava with tomato salsa) Guacamole with corn chips served in all the tables and for the main dish we have to select 1 of the following , Pollo a la parrilla (grilled chicken), Lomo de carne(for what I saw, less than 100 grams of beef already cut, not the beef striploin they announce on the website menu), and Pescado Frito(unknow fried chicken), so all the families pre order what everyone wanted, so the cook, (notice I say cook, not chef ) can be prepared.
The big day arrive, al 1:30 pm all the families meet there, we started all the chatting and jokes, started ordering beers, because was a beautiful Sunday and the patio was opened, around 2:15 and the appetisers began to be served on the tables, there began my first disappointment, for a table of 8 they serve 1 plate of tasteless guacamole, no more than 1 patacon and yucca frita per person(I think they forgot the salsa), me and my wife were in a table for 2 (my son was in a different table with the other teenagers) and they forgot about us, I talked to the friend that organized the activity and she told to the waitress, and this is what she exactly did, she took a plate not bigger than a tea cup plate went to one of our friends table, took 2 patacons and 2 yuccas and brought it to us, when I saw that I wanted to complain, but my wife stopped me, she told me we are here to have fun, not to be disgusted, don’t worry about that, at the end was her day, and so I did, around 2:45pm the waitress started asking the families for the dishes they want, so I told that I want 1 Grilled chicken for my son, 1 Striploin for my wife and 1 fried fish for me, at around 3:15 pm they started serving the main dishes, our table was beside the bar close to the kitchen, so the logic indicate that I should be one of the first to be served, that didn’t happen, they totally ignored me, but wasn’t a big deal, not in a rush, around 4pm all the tables were served and almost everybody was done, so I asked the waitress when will I be served, so she immediately came with two plates of beef, I told her that I ordered 1 beef, 1 chicken and 1 fish(mistakes happen) so after a few more minutes she came with the right order, wish in my case was salad with spinach I think(not a veggie fan), tomatoes, one avocado slice, no more than 2 spoons of steamed rice, and the fish; the rice was precooked rice, and the fish was greasy and raw, so I called the waitress and told her that the fish was raw, she took the plate and in less than 30 seconds I had a new fish on my table, this time the fish was cold, I was very angry but didn’t want to complain again, however guess what?, the fish was also raw, I called her again and told her what happened, she took the plate, and went to the kitchen, 1 minute later, who I first thought was the cook(really was the owner) came and asked me what happened with the fish, I told him that it was raw and cold, his answer was, do you want me to REHEAT the fish, I couldn’t hold myself anymore, I told him, are you serious? Look, I want my bill and I’m leaving right now, and I’m not retuning again, he told me that nobody complained about the food, and the fish was perfectly cooked, when I was paying the bill, (they didn’t charge me for the fish) he was telling the friend that made the reservation, “se hace lo que se puede”, which means, “We do what we can do”, are you serious again? You are running a business here, and you charged $25.00 for the food + $6.00 for the imported beer, for a food that worth less than $5.00 in a Chinese food court.
At the end, we all end ordering Pizza.
I really was very disappointed, and I don’t recommend this restaurant, if you can stay away from it, please do.

1  Thank Erick P
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have been to Latinada several times with groups of 2 - 7 people. I have consistently had great meals - though I must admit, I almost always have the fish & seafood dishes, and usually, the pescado fritto. The guacamole is excellent. The fried yucca is also very good. The mojitos have always been good. The personality of the servers is great - especially the man who I presume is the manager/owner - very charismatic & funny. The nightly entertainment is a small, intimate show and worth the wait. Latinada is small, cozy restaurant, and a fun night out.

1  Thank Karen T