“Couples spa day - just another $800 nothing special”
Review of Quartz Crystal Spa - CLOSED

Quartz Crystal Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Rising 31 storeys above the city, an abundance of natural light floods this meticulously designed oasis, where classic Hollywood glamour juxtaposes the transformative healing properties of the quartz mineral. Discover this extraordinary sanctuary of world-class services for men and women, to experience why the 19th century Russian quartz baths were a healing ritual for generations. Designed with passion and discernment, Quartz Crystal Spa™ will transport you to a timeless world of calm, balance and revitalization.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I visited the spa to celebrate his birthday, and decided to do a spa day while we were there. I initially booked a his and her mani/pedi and added a couples Swedish massage. What I found strange was that when I was making the reservation(s) at no point was I given any advice (spa package perhaps) or asked about if we were visiting for a special occasion. I have visited spas at the Hyatt,royal york and ritz and am used to having an excellent experience when making a reservation, I just chalked it up the receptionist being new, and didn't think much of it. The spa itself is beautiful and is well decorated. Another interesting thing I noticed is that the spa is decorated with numerous bottles of champagne and champagne glasses but at no point during our 4 hour spa visit were we offered a glass. It is my experience when visiting a high end spa that the spa will offer its guests a glass of champagne or a small snack as part of the experience. Right before we left I proactively asked for a glass of champagne. I was told it was18 dollars a glass. As my husband and I were celebrating we didn't mind paying for it, but it would have been nice to get some sort of perk as our spa experience totalled$800! The massages were excellent and my husband and I both really enjoyed them. After the massage my husband I were left to wait in a waiting area by ourselves we were not offered any type of beverage other than the water we helped our selves to. I knew there would be a wait when I booked the reservation, but I didn't think we'd just be left to sit there. Again my expectations were built off of experiences at other high end spas, something I began to realize this spa was not.The manicure and pedicure were nothing special. For $165 you would think you would be getting something to remember, like I have at Stillwater or novo spa but while the girls were nice the service provided was not anything more than you would get at the corner nail salon. There was nothing that elevated this experience and made it worth the price. The hotel is beautiful, the restaurant was amazing but I will pass on the spa on my next visit, it was nothing special and management does not seem interested in "excellent" client experiences as staff just do the bare minimum. Definitely a disappointment.

6  Thank Wanderlust_nrg

Reviewed November 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I treated ourselves to a 50 minutes Swedish massage yesterday at the Quartz Crystal Spa at the 5 star Trump International Tower in Toronto. It was for my birthday celebration and we expected it to be pricey but we were shocked that each of us got a final bill of $194.93.

The $169.50 (13% HST included) for the RMT 50 minutes massage was kind of expected though it was the highest I ever have to pay in downtown Toronto so far. Unlike what the Director of Spa Operations at Quartz Crystal Spa said in response to a previous complaint posted in TravelZoo, the receptionist didn't explain the charges to us at all. On the bill, besides RMT massage and HST 13% charges, it has an item of $22.50 services charge and then 13% HST on top of that. I only clued in to check after I signed and thought the total was wrong. I asked the receptionist about the additional charges, she said it was the automatic mandatory tips.

I wrote this email because I think others who consider trying to the Spa would benefit from knowing our experience.

1) The Spa should have made their charges transparent to their customers by letting them know when booking is made.
2) Charging HST on tips are unheard of and unacceptable.
3) If the $22.50 is for Tips, why does the bill say Services?

The RMTs were very good but we are extremely disappointed with the charges. Originally we were thinking to visit the spa in December but now we won't. I truly hope the Spa management will address the problems so their patrons will return for more services.

I, a season, frequent, regular Spa goer don't mind spending the money but am totally annoyed by unknown and unreasonable charges.

7  Thank Mandy104
JamiSteele, Director of Sales at Quartz Crystal Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Mandy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience at Quartz Crystal Spa. The management team and I appreciate all customer feedback as it provides an opportunity to improve our services and facilities.

I appreciate your positive comments about your massage. Our RMTs are some of the best therapists in the city and it is our pleasure to offer their services.

However, I am disappointed to read your comments about your bill. I apologize that it was not made clear to you when making your reservation that gratuities are automatically added to your invoice. Reviewing our gratuity policy is a crucial part of our reservation intake, and as a result of your comments, we will reevaluate how we communicate this policy at the time that the reservation is made.

I would like to note that automatic gratuities are common amongst may luxury spas in Toronto and our 15% gratuity charge is not disproportionately higher than similarly priced spas.

I genuinely thank you for taking the time to write your review and hope that we may have an opportunity to welcome you again to Quartz Crystal Spa.

Jami Steele
Spa Director

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have nothing but positive reviews for this incredible spa; the services and staff are fantastic and the facility is beautiful. Recently, my company decided to take some of our clients here for a full day retreat; manicures, pedicures, massage, facials and lunch all included. Organizing this event with the spa coordinator was seamless; and service on the day of the event was top of the line. Each client had a personal staff member guide them through the day of services and tend to any specific requests. I highly recommend this spa if you are looking for an intimate and high end experience. You absolutely cannot go wrong with Quartz Crystal Spa Toronto location.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have massages quite often and this was my best one ever. I had knots in my right hamstring for the last several weeks my masseur was able to work it out. Still feels great.
The room is small but very nicely decorated and there is plenty of room to move around.

1  Thank Amy W
See more reviews
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Quartz Crystal Spa in the Trump hotel is definitely overrated and not worth our money!!

A few times per year, my girlfriends and I would plan a spa getaway for each other's birthday. We have had amazing experience in all the other spa locations that we have visited including the spa in Hyatt, Ritz-Carlton, Shangri-la etc..
Thus far, we have experienced the worst spa services and customer service with Quartz Crystal Spa!

To begin, the entire setup and location of the waiting and treatment rooms were very poorly designed. Once you walk out of the change room dressed in your robe, you have to pass through the front desk reception and entrance doors which leads you into a separate elevator within the spa to reach the treatment rooms. There was no privacy at all especially the high traffic at the front desk, with customer's checking in and out and inquiring about spa services.
Also, the waiting room was very small and right next to the front desk reception. There was no tea or water set up in the room, it was provided to you on a request basis.

Next, the pool facilities was another disaster, it was really crowded and there were no towels set up by the pool for use.

Please beware that there is a 13% mandatory service charge added to your total bill! Upon our checkout, we were not advised by the front desk reception and was charged a mandatory 13% on top of the tip we added to our total bill! We did not notice until after paying our bill. We requested for a refund but that took more than half hour to process!

Also, be careful when you book your spa services, ensure you confirm with the spa on what is included with your treatment! My friends booked the 'Ultra Luxe Sea Pearl Wrap' spa service for me and in the spa services description, it clearly states

'An expert massage is preceded by a nourishing wrap of French Montmorillonite Clay, Sea
Pearl, Silver and Thermal Plankton – all powerful natural moisturizers that build and
strengthen skin.'

If you were a customer and you read this description, wouldn't you expect an expert massage be included with the wrap treatment!! Well, apparently the management personnel that I talked to described this treatment otherwise, she said this is the massage technique they use to 'massage the lotion and clay onto your body and it is not a massage but a way of application!!

I tried to explain to her the advertisment in their spa services brochure for this treatment is definitely false advertising, misleading and confusing. As a customer, I set my expectations based on the description of the treatment and I wanted to be treated fairly in terms of what I was entitled to receive for my treatment. I have done other body wraps in various spa locations and when it states that there is a massage in the description, I will receive a body massage on top of the wrap treatment and not a massaging technique to apply the lotion onto the body.

The management personnel I talked to refused to admit that the description stated was false advertising. She had the nerve to tell me that is the same advertisment they use for facial services. I was really unhappy with her way of handling this sitiation, she kept insisting that their description is correct for that specific wrap treatment. We went back and forth for quite sometime and I got tired and frustrated that she did not seem like she wanted to compensate at all for all the time and trouble my friends and I have experienced. She finally offered me a small discount on the NEXT spa service that I book. She specificly said if the wrap treatment did not meet my expections, do not not book it for next time.
Honestly, I paid over $200 for spa services at the pretigious and reputable Trump hotel, i really expected better customer service than this!

At that point, I just gave up as i felt she didn't even want to make the effort to keep me and my friends as satisfied customers.

A truly terriful spa experience! We were definitely a group of unhappy and unsatisfied customers that will never return to this spa ever again!

4  Thank wishingstar8
JamiSteele, Director of Sales at Quartz Crystal Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your experience at Quartz Crystal Spa. I appreciate that you took the time to write this review and provide constructive comments.

I am very disappointed to read about the aspects of your experience that did not satisfy you. As I was the manager who spoke with you at the time, I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for not providing you with a satisfactory solution at the end of your treatment. However, I am grateful that you took the time to speak with me over the phone recently to discuss the matter.

Your feedback is extremely important to me, and I have noted everything that was mentioned during our conversations and in your review. As per our initial discussion, our menus are currently being redesigned and the wording that you referred to will be revised to more accurately describe the services included with our body wrap. Unfortunately, at the time of your treatment, I was unable to refund you and your party for the services that you received; our policies do not allow us to refund treatments once they have been completed in-full.

Furthermore, as we recently discussed, our pool and other facilities can become very busy, since the pool is available to all hotel & spa guests. As a result, our supply of towels can run out on occasion. Due to guest feedback, we have purchased additional towels to meet the growing needs of our guests and look forward to providing these to you on your return visit.

Our staff have been advised of this oversight with regards to the gratuity on your bill and we have taken steps to ensure that every guest is clearly informed of all charges associated with their bill.

Thank you again for taking the time to speak with me about this matter on the phone. I am happy that we could reach a solution that satisfies you and I look forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards,