“Food is tasty -- but don't go here for intimate conversation :D”
Review of La Carnita

La Carnita
Reserve with OpenTable
La Carnita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #297 of 8,509 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Little Italy
winnipeg
“Food is tasty -- but don't go here for intimate conversation :D”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Got there on a Sunday night around 7:30 and had to wait just a few minutes before getting a great booth! Neat place, trendy, but very loud and not conducive to easy conversation. The tacos really were delicious -- we all tried different kinds. You would need to eat at least 2 or three, along with salad and appetizer to really fill up, but we had snacked at home before going, so we were satisfied with one. Each taco is presented on a flat tortilla about 4" wide, mostly unfried, though one type we tried (a seviche, I think) came with a deep fried tortilla. There was one vegan choice for someone in our party who wanted that option. We also ordered the mango salad, which was very good and came with big pieces of avocado in it. The 'creamed' corn appetizer, which was actually roasted corn on the cob with melted queso drizzled on it and spicy paprika (?) was excellent! Haven't had anything like that before! Have read about the high-priced drinks here, but we were busy talking and I didn't notice! Would go back there again.

• Visited September 2013

Victoria
“Great service, good food, overpriced drinks.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went here because it was one of Torontos '25 hot spots'. It was definitely very busy and we waited 30-40 minutes to be seated. We managed to wait sitting at the bar. The whole place was LOUD. Like so loud you had to yell at each other.

The bartenders were all really friendly and very professional. They obviously knew their stuff. The margaritas are all classic but are premade and poured from a tap. I didn't like that very much. No salted rim, made who-knows-when, and priced at $11 for a 1.5oz drink. I thought that was way too much. They had a very tasty drink called a 'bread and butter' which was a negro modelo with lime juice in a salt and chili rimmed glass. I hadn't had this before and really enjoyed it. Priced at $8 for what's basically a beer it's a bit steep but I quite liked it.

The tacos are good. The menu is pretty small - mostly just tacos - and they're all priced somewhere between $4.50 and $6.50. By the time you eat 3 of these you've paid close to $20 for a meal with no sides, salads, or appetizer So... value-wise I wouldn't say this was a winner.

The pastel de tres leches was delicious - among the best Ive had.

• Visited September 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Good Tacos”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Very tasty tacos...service was good.I found the drinks were overpriced!You need to eat at least 3 tacos....

blue mountains
“Horrible.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

This place just rides the hype that they created with the food truck.
The food is crap, the service is horrendous & the bathrooms are dirty.
What should we have expected though going to a restaurant run by guys who have no food background?
Our bad, won't happen again.

Toronto, Canada
“Yummy food!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I'd probably give 3.5 stars but rounded up.

My husband and I got there just before 6pm on a Monday of a long weekend. I expected there to be a lineup given all the reviews I had read, but we got seated right away, although only the bar seats and the window seats were available. We took the window seats which was fun as we could people watch while we ate.

Service was very efficient but not overly friendly. The server took our order as soon as we were seated, and almost immediately our food started arriving. We were in and out in an hour!

My husband is vegetarian and I am too mostly, so we ordered the guac and chips, avocado mango salad, the rice and corn fritters, the crispy avocado and bean tacos and the mushroom tostadas which were the special for the day. The highlights for me were the corn fritters and the tostadas which were like an explosion of flavours in the mouth. The food was not particularly spicy, so I had to ask for hot sauce, but even that wasn't to the level of spice I like. I was mildly dissapointed by the crispy avocado tacos as I felt they were underseasoned and the batter on the avocado was soft not crispy.

For dessert we wanted to try all three (paleta - we chose key lime, tres leches with strawberries and the churros). The churros were absolutely fantastic, although I didn't think the sauce it came with had much flavour. I liked the popsicle second best and the tres leches the least (not to say it wasn't delicious, but the other two were better).

We also ordered coffee which they served with condensed milk... nice twist.

The total was about $80 for the two of us without any alcohol. I would say that's pretty expensive for a pretty casual restaurant, but we did order quite a lot. Portions were fairly small.

I would come back, but not before trying other taco joints and mexican restaurants that have recently opened first.