“Best. Pizza. Ever”

Pizzeria Defina
Ranked #286 of 8,439 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: West End
Toronto, Canada
“Best. Pizza. Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have eaten pizza in many, many countries, but the pesto/goat cheese/chicken pesto pizza at Pizzeria Defina raised the bar. Choice of crust (soft or crispy) and plenty of ingredients to satisfy. The accompanying wine list was more than adequate. It was very busy the night we were there, but the service was good. It appeared that there were a lot of repeat customers, which is always a good sign. Our seat toward the back afforded us a good view of the acrobatics of the pizza makers around the pizza oven; great entertainment! Highly recommend this place. I did not ask about reservations or take-out or summer outdoor seating, so cannot comment knowledgeably on that. I'll be back!

• Visited January 2013

Toronto
“Really good pizza and friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've been to Defina several times over the last few months and I really enjoy the atmosphere and the food. I've been with kids and without and the place works well for either. I've seen comments about weak service but I can't say that I've experienced it. The one time that it took awhile for our food to come, we did arrive after a decent rush so it wasn't really surprising. I judge the thin crust places by the quality of their margherita pizzas as there's nothing to hide behind if they can't execute. I like the versions at both Libretto and Defina, but Defina's the better choice for me given the lack of lines and the coziness of the place.

The Saltimbocca calzone with arugula salad and boar sausage is also a winner. The small plates to start are generally a good bet and a good value.

The Lasagna pizza tastes exactly lasagna, not my thing but my kids go bananas for it. They now ask for Lasagna pizza elsewhere.

• Visited January 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Cozy atmosphere, good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Discovered this place walking on Roncesvalles. A cozy restaurant with good appetizers, delicious wood-oven pizza and tasty deserts. Friendly staff, good service. I recommend this for lunch or dinner. The restaurant does not take reservations so be prepared for a wait on weekend evenings.

• Visited November 2012
Toronto
“Great Pizza, Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Not the *best* pizzeria in Toronto, but solidly in the "best of" list.

Great thin-crust pizzas, with your choice of two doughs. Among some solid standbys, the list rotates and features more inventive offerings.

Incredibly family-friendly, so it can be loud - very busy. Alas, no reservations so you might have to wait a bit during peak times.

Nice beer on tap; wine selection substandard even for a wee glass.

Desserts are above average as well.

All in all, an excelletn place for high-quality pizza and going out with friends.

(Takeaway as well, but no delivery.)

• Visited December 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent pizza in a relaxed setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Nice atmosphere, with wood fired pizza oven and open concept kitchen, excellent pizza and reasonably priced wine.