“Bad service”

Trattoria Taverniti
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Taverniti is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 9,074 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian, Healthy
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Cross street: College St & Clinton St
Description: Trattoria Taverniti serves authentic and homemade Italian cuisine in the heart of Toronto’s Little Italy. A true trattoria, this cozy little restaurant, features Rosina Taverniti's family recipes. Come try our house specialties: Gnocchi Venezia, Meat Lasagna, or Our Calabrese Pizza!
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This restaurant looks like a good Italian restaurant. Unfortunately at our visiting time all the tables were occupied. We decided to take a table outside (although it was a little bit cold) but they gave us the prospect to change the table as soon one will be available.

We waited over 30 minutes outside without any service. After we had too cold and still nothing to drink we asked again for a table which has become free. They told us other people would be waiting for the table (which came after us). They forgot us plain and simple and we went.

Pity, thats not a nice and Italian manner to treat guests.

3  Thank iNight
Domenic T, Owner at Trattoria Taverniti, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Hello iKnight,

We are so sorry about the experience you had at our restaurant. As you noted, the restaurant was full. Unfortunately, someone did not show up, so the server we had was doing the best she could on her own.

We would like to invite you back for some proper Italian hospitality! If you will give us another chance, we will take care of your meals (no food will be charged to the bill). Please see the private message I sent you, so we will know it is you.

Once again, we are very sorry. Please feel free to call us, so we can reserve you a table. (416-537-0078)

Domenic Taverniti
Owner

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I visited on a recommendation from a local chef. I've given it a 4/5, which means very good, although I'd say it was good rather than very good. The roasted red pepper and gorgonzola bruschetta was fantastic. The rigatoni bolognese was nice, but the ragu was not up to the standard I had been led to believe. The sauce seemed to consist of only beef and tomatoes - no soffrito, unless they blitzed the sauce. I like to see the carrots, onions etc. It was still nice, but didn't taste like something that had been bubbling away for hours. Maybe if you visit for dinner, it would benefit from a longer cook. The tiramisu was OK, and the wine list was good. Overall the food was nice, but what brings this place up to an overall good score is the location, the atmosphere, and the friendly staff. I'd recommend this as a nice place to visit in Little Italy.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

With our son we had a lunch a this restaurant and we enjoyed it very much.The pasta, salade and pizza we ordered were fresh and tasty. You can see the kitchen where they prepare your meal. The value and and service are just right. No complaints whatsoever. The best part was Megan who served us with a smile that adds this little bit of extra to a restaurant.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I have been here a couple times, which for us is rare. Living in Toronto you can go to a different restaurant everyday of your life and still not to to them all....and that's just within the downtown core. We returned here, and will again, because the food is made fresh, tastes great, and is affordable. The service is respectful, you don't have someone hovering over your table constantly bugging you. Over-all if you are looking for a quite, tasty, and affordable place to have some Italian this place is a wonderful choice.

1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Dont even think about going here! I dont understand whi wrote the other reviews: perhaps the owners?! My partner and I are on holiday and were really hungry. We walked past this place and it looked quite nice from the outside. It took them ages to seat us, even though it was half empty, which was strange. The Bruschetta starter was actually fine, but I could tell theywhich it used fresh ingredients- a bad sign in an Italians restaurant. But anyway, all that I can overlook. No big deal, But then.... the main course. SO SO AWFUL!!!!! A real crime. We ordered penne pasta with ragu and veal with pasta. Both looked and tasted like kids meals: covered in fake tomato sauce out of a jar! These people CANNOT cook to save their lives. Its just ridiculous! It was like a cheap microwave meal. Except that it was quite expensive. The veal was 22 dollars!!!! It was like rubber. Please please don't go here, you will leave angry.

7  Thank Dixci