“Upgraded, clean student residence”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 89 Chestnut

89 Chestnut
Ranked #98 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
St. Catharines, Ontario
“Upgraded, clean student residence”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2007

This property used to be a hotel but is now a residence for University of Toronto students (graduate students and visiting professors). The suites are therefore a little better than the average student residence, as is the lobby. I was attending a conference at another hotel that I could not afford so I did not have to spend much time at this hotel. Clean room and bathroom. Basic amenities: towels, shampoo, soap, hair dryer in bathroom; phone and clock radio in bedroom.

There is no staff on the front desk between 11pm-7am, only Security available. There is a breakfast buffet included, however, you are unable to take out anything, not even a coffee or tea. I didn't like that part, as I feel coffee/tea should be part of basic hospitality. I didn't have time to eat in the restaurant so I ended up having to search for a Second Cup/Tim Horton's.

• Liked — the price, cleanliness
  • Disliked — could not get a tea to take out
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank DrivingSoul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2006

I read great reviews about this hotel/student residence on tripadvisor and was excited to find accomodation there UNTIL I actually got there. I want to encourage everyone to read through MY experience before booking. Keep in mind that most of the great reviews are from visitors who stayed there during the summer and perhaps I had a totally different experience b/c I was a short term guest there during U of T school year when it was being used as a student residence...

A. What I did not like about this so-called "hotel":
(1) I paid $1200 dollars for 2 weeks short term stay and for my terrible experience that was WAY over what I should have paid. Had I not paid the non-refundable deposit in advance, I would have left after the first night
(2) When I got to my room, I found several pubic hairs in the bath tub (it was far from being *clean*)
(3) The toilet did not flush
(4) For over 60-70% of the time, I had to take COLD shower b/c there was no warm water - this is absolutely unacceptable!
(5) The NOISE... the university students were VERY noisy (e.g. very loud music until 3am, someone played guitar every night around midnight, etc.) and there is one door between your room and the next so you can hear their conversation and a lot more all night.
(6) Your room is cleaned only once/week. There is no info sheet on where you can find more towels, etc. Nobody is there to empty your garbage that piles up.
(7) The cafeteria access: There are these *strict rules* that you have to abide by: you have to take off your jacket, you are not allowed to bring in your bag into the cafeteria for breakfast (i felt like I was in a boot camp)
(8) There is NO refrigerator, microwave, no access to drinking water/ice anywhere on the floor (at least I wasn't told about it!)

B. What I liked about the hotel:
(1) The high-speed internet access (included)
(2) The very friendly front desk staff
(3) Amazingly good location to the subway (2 blocks away from St.Patrick's station), and major amenities in downtown.
(4) Tons of places to eat around the hotel

My final advice: If you can afford it, go somewhere else. Some of the nicer hotels have similar deals. Plus, I would much rather choose to stay in a nice B & B with private refrigerator & microwave at a much cheaper rate than at 89 Chestnut next time. I cannot imagine going back there again... So make your decision wisely!

• Liked — free internet access
  • Disliked — terrible noise at night, lack of room service, dirty bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — If you can afford it, go somewhere else... PLEASE!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Hoysee

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2006

We had stayed here when it was the Colony Hotel, so we knew the location (within 5 mins of 3 subways and from the Eaton Centre) was excellent.

The staff were friendly and approachable, and the room we arrived to was clean. Someone earlier had written that you could help yourself to towels and toilet rolls since housekeeping is only twice a week, but when I asked about this I was told it was not the case. However, reception brought some up for us within minutes of asking.

Breakfast was excellent. There was a wide choice available. Cereals, lots of different breads, some fruit, hot breakfast, and plenty fruit juice. They even had ice cream.

The problem we had was that on the website it said they were doing refurbishment over the summer period. I emailed in and asked them to clarify this, but received no reply. We were booking last minute so we got to the stage where we had to book and so went ahead. Now, if the room along the corridor is being painted, it's not likely to bother me. But a JACKHAMMER going.....I have a problem with that!!!! There were signs up about this, but you don't see them by the lift until you've checked in. We had checked into the room when we came back out and saw the sign saying that certain rooms would be affected. So we asked to change rooms. The new room was at the other side of the hotel and one floor up - all they could give us. But it was still a problem for the first few hours of the day and late afternoon. I was pregnant at the time, so wanted to lie down sometimes.

Of course, you're out most of the day. But they said they'd be doing it from 9AM-5PM each day. So when I was woken up at 8:30am one morning, I phoned reception and complained. This was met with bewilderment as they seemed unaware of the work going on?!? Strange.

So what I would say, is for the price, this is a great place to stay. But if you see ANYTHING on the website about upgrading the hotel, then make sure you phone and clarify. (I tried this but couldn't get through on a couple of occasions).

• Liked — The breakfasts and the location
  • Disliked — Maintenance work
  • Tips/Secrets — Check with the hotel about any planned maintenance work.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TorontoRocks
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

Loud constrction noise from 7am to 6pm right outside my window (7th floor), a Nazi at the door to the breakfast room, no tv in room, no cleaning, sometimes no hot water, etc. I had reserved for a week, but left after 3 days--could not take it anymore. Not a good deal. Pay more and get a real hotel.

2 Thank Motherof1
Hessle, East Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2006

The 89 chestnut is a very nice place to stay in Toronto providing you don't want the normal full hotel service. There is no TV in the room, nor is there any option for room service or cleaning. The hotel lounge area is reserved for students only as well, even in the summer. There is no pool at the hotel, well there is, but jumping in would give you an almighty headache. There is an excellent gym, which is free of charge. Also the breakfast is very good, plenty of seating in the resturant over looking a small park, bacon, susages, scrammbled egg, make your own toast, loads of different juices and a selection of coffees - plus fresh fruit, pasteries and cereal, couldn't ask for more really, limited choice for veggies though. The rooms themselves are, as a say, basic. We had two doubles, and it has to be said they where not very comfortable, quite "scratchy" sheets. There are two desks in the room as well as a phone with free local calls. The bathroom was very good and clean, bath and very powerful shower with a few comp tolietteries. The air con unit was reasonably good and didn't keep us awake unlike some other hotels I have stayed at. As somebody else has mentioned, the laundary is really designed for the students, however you can use it and we did, but you have to buy a non-refundable card for $5, and also you have to top it up with a min amount of $15, luckily as we had been camping we had a fair amount of washing however for somebody with one load it would be expensive. The location is by far the best thing about this hotel, CN tower is probably only 15 minutes walk, or there is a sub-station with a couple of minutes walk, also there is a street-car stop at the top of the road the hotel is on (less than 1 min walk). A few reasonable places to eat near by including a fairly expensive resturant just across the road, lots of chinese eateries near by as well and a pretty good medetarian take away. There is some very good shopping near by, including a square full of street entertainment and the huge Eaton Mall.

I would throughly recommend 89 Chestnut to those travelling on a budget - $99 (Can) or around £49 per night including a full breakfast in Toronto during the summer is very good value in my opinion.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — Scratchy Beds
  • Tips/Secrets — If you want to take food to your room, hide it. Some of the hotel staff are a little OTT on the subject
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank balearicrazy
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2006

Location, food, people great. Laundry is large, clean and machines work,.BUT you must
buy a card from the machine behind a poll in the laundry room for $5 -- (a no refund charge card ).. Then you must "fill" this card with a min $10 (also non- refundable). I find $15 too much for a single load of laundry.Perhaps if enough people care they might consider a $5 deposit (refundable at check out) card. Any unused balance would pass on to next guest. Fun and fair. We sold our $5 card with $6 left on it for $5 to a very nice foreign student. Good luck.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank Go Tag
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2006

Arrived here after a long flight from Ireland. Next morning, wife not feeling too well. I had breakfast in dining room, and tried to bring her some toast in our room. Stopped at lobby. No food to rooms, Sir. Argument. Toast brought to room. Wife recovers.
This was a dodgy beginning to a week of sheer friendlines, competence, and top of the range value. The problem at the start was not of their making. Proper Canadian rules and regulations. That's really why we went there. Room was excellent. Location couldn't be better. A/C a little noisy during the night...but a few beers and earplugs put paid to that. if you have loads of money, book a top hotel. If you are mid range, grab this.
TOP TIP...Go for the full hot breakfast. Without doubt, the breakfast here is the best you will find in North America or Europe. If you are budgeting for food, have this breakfast, and add 10 bucks a head for a coffee and sandwich that evening. it really is that good.
Thanks to all at 89.