“Absolutely discusting”

Ranked #98 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Barrie, Canada
“Absolutely discusting”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Me and 6 of my friends plus my school principale stayed at this hotel for a school activity.. The lobby was so fancy i told myself wow this should be nice.. We walked into the elevator.. It was really clean and fancy again.. We get to our floor.. Walk out.. Holy snap the floor smelt like [--].. we get to our room and we're supposed to share one.. 1 bed, no pull out couch or anything.. Just a bed and a little chair.. The bed was king size but sleeping with someone twice your size still isnt very fun.. The carpet was dirty, the sheets were brown, the bathroom had no towels, you had to flush the toilet 6 times before everything went down the drain.. The bath tub was yellow.. I didn't even bother to look under the bed. No room service.. The only two nice things were the location and the very top floor (27). There were couches, tv's, vending machines, and an amazing view of the cn tower and the lake.. The Eaton Center was 5 minutes walk.
I do not recomend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Xavier S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
North Sydney, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I booked my trip to Toronto in June without the knowledge that the G20 was going to happen at the same time during my trip. I realised almost 4 weeks before too late to cancel.

I originally booked my accomendation to stay at the Toronto University Summer Residence, I was contacted that they could offer me a move to 89 Chestnut instead.

I checked out their website I was thrilled, but like many reviews the rooms were spartan to say it kindly.

I appreciated the change to a different location at I paid $36/night to be there.

A few minor problems I had was during check-in the front desk staff had the wrong pricing for my booking, they said it was $83, I told them it was $36, they said they would check the reservation, asked for my credit card number, it lefted me a bit nearvous either way.

The room was clean on my arrival, there was no TV in the room nor hangers in my room, luckily I travelled with some as I read in previous reviews.

No mircowave or mini fridge, I found some located down the hall, there is a standard size fridge so leaving food or drink is cautionary.

I stayed 14 days, on day 10 they offered to clean my room, maybe due to the G20 they didn't offer beforehand.

They was lots of college students around, so it was noisy at times, overall not too bad.

I didn't like the fact after 10PM it was required to show your room key to the security guard, it felt like being at the airport the whole time I stayed there.

Overall, it was a complete nightmare of a stay, I liked the location less than a 10 min walk to Eaton Centre, a city bus stop is 5 mins away.

If you take the Airporter from the airport, they do have a stop in front of the hotel.
I wouldn't recommend this residence to families, the price I paid to be there was great but not at the rate they ask for in my opinion.

I think for their asking price so much more could be done including daily housekeeping.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 11, 2010

The staff was polite and welcoming. The hotel is taking security seriously as
you cannot use the elevator without entering your room card. There seems to be
wireless connection available but it's not reachable in all rooms.

The hotel is located centrally and various shopping centers and the subway
station are within walking distance.

The room and the bathroom were both spacious, even for American standards.
However, I discovered hair on the bathroom floor and in the bathtub that
definitely weren't mine! Even worse, there does not seem to be such a thing as
room service there. During the 3 days I stayed the towels were not replaced,
which was quite disappointing. All in all, I think there are better hotels in
Toronto for that price.

1 Thank writermonad
Truro, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I travelled to Toronto on business and the organization had booked a block of rooms. The room had only 2 electric outlets which were located behind heavy metal desk. Only one of the beds had a side table and no bedside lights were available. The light switch was above my associates bed and I had to ask her to turn my light off for me. The bathroom linens were minimal and not replenished daily. The breakfast was cafeteria style and was ok but I had to surrender my handbag daily to a teenager who stored it in a cubby to prevent me from stealing food. There was popcorn under my bed when I arrived. But others had more horrors, body fluids/feces on the sheets, torn carpet, dirty clothes under the beds, clothes hanging in the closet, dirty toilets....etc. It was an embarassement to be staying here but since the association had booked and payed for the room I felt trapped. This hotel functions as a residence during the academic year and there is no way in hell I would let my kid stay there. NASTY!!!!!!!

1 Thank kagc1969
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2010

The Chestnut was suggested as a conference hotel and my organization jumped at the affordable price and proximity to the conference venue. It appeared cheap and cheerful on the internet but when we checked in we discovered it is not kept clean AT ALL. The rooms apparently had been cleaned before we checked in but we found: dirty, stained sheets; dirty socks and garbage under beds; chipped and dirty bathtubs and sinks; hairs on pillows, sinks, surfaces; non-functional fire alarms; burnt-out light-bulbs; thick dust behind lamps, under chairs etc. We had pre-paid through the conference organizers so had no choice but to stay or forfeit our money. We all slept horribly and had nightmares of staying in filthy residence rooms. I would caution all to spend a little more a night to sleep in hygiene.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Great location, great breakfast buffet. However, Front Desk reception so-so friendly., maybe short of staff?...Would of liked to be informed of residence ameneties (pool, exercise room....) but nothing was mentioned . When arrived in room, there was a a telephone , not clean, all sticky with no phone cord (Had to ask front desk for one), no hangers in room,a plug socket out of wall, wires visible, no maid service. I know it's not the Holiday Inn but at least we should of had been provided with the basics and the maintenance for the price we were paying. I would of recommended this place to a friend for location and breakfast but otherwise not.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Vancouver
Reviewed July 4, 2009

If you're feeling nostalgic for dorm living, this is the place for you. The only thing missing were the band posters. Dingy, smelly, and dirty. Like other reviewers, I stayed here for a conference at the organizers' recommendation. I was prepared to live with budget ambiance and no maid service during our stay, but this was shameful. The closet didn't have hangers. No iron. The phone didn't work in the first room we were assigned. One really gets the sense that the operators are using this facility for a cash grab during the summer months. I've stayed in nicer hostels.

However, the staff were very understanding and courteous when we decided to check out twenty minutes after checking in. My guess is it happens fairly often.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business