“Fun Family Afternoon in the City”

Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We went this past weekend with the entire family for a Birthday party - there were 14 of us in total, so not a small group. We had a great time and the kids enjoyed it.

From the moment we showed up the staff were helpful and friendly - and yes, they called us "Lords" and "Lady" from the very beginning - it was fun and the kids got a kick out of it.

There were a lot of people to watch the show, but we did not feel crowded in the auditorium and there where many things for the kids to look at (and buy!). The only comment I would have would be that the bar service was slow in the auditorium - there were only 3 on staff.

The show itself was great and very entertaining. The horses were well trained and after the show you could see the horses and meet the knights and take pictures etc.

I found the food to be pretty good as well. I know there are some reviews indicating the food was not fabulous, and I am not sure if changes were made in the kitchen, but for me I liked what we were served (I also knew we were not going just for the food nor were we going to a fine dining restaurant). Tomato soup, chicken, rib and potato - simple but good. The portions are huge, and the kids get a full adult plate as well - we took home the left overs. Our server was great and was very attentive and was in character the whole time.

The tickets are pricey, and had we not received a group discount we probably would not have gone. The discount made the price worthwhile and we are glad we went, it was a good 2-3 hours of entertainment.

1  Thank Nicole C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"fun experience"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Most recently, I had occasion to celebrate a special birthday and my family took me to Medievil Times in Toronto. Frankly, I was not really sure what to expect. All and all, it was a fantastic experience and it made me feel like a kid again . . . sword fighting with my buddies in the backyard. However, the actors employed are very professional and leave you with the impression that you are literally back in Medieval Times. If you are celebrating a special event or just want a fun night out with friends, then check it out. Bring a big appetite and be prepared to eat with your hands!

1  Thank Man52
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I took my husband for his birthday he loved it. The kids loved cheering for the yellow knight, and eating with their hands was a big sucess. The only problem is it is a little pricey but the horses were beautiful and the fighting had the kids on the end of their seats.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The falconer was kind and patient in his explanations to my 5yo's fascination. The yellow knight was well cheered by our family and kindly presented my impressed and honoured 8yo with the banner. Twelve year old boys are tough to impress, mine loved the jousting and the sparks in the swordplay; it was "cooler than an iPod" if you can imagine! Our server was excellent and knew her gluten free info on the meal so it was worry-free dining. We have a own farm so it was important for us to see that the horses are well fed and fit and well trained. An excellent evening, good for the whole family.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I went for my birthday. She knows I love cheesy stuff like this and we wanted to have a fun knight (ha?) out. Overall it was a fun time, maybe we're getting a bit old for this stuff - but anyone with a young family - this is a must do.

Pro tip: wash your hands RIGHT before going in to dinner and don't touch anything, since you'll be eating with your hands. Bring hand sanitizer if you want to be truly prepared for eating with your hands.

Entertainment & Decor:
Obviously, the entertainment is the selling point of this night out. The decor definitely suits the medieval theme - even the plates & cups. Once past the ticket booth, the main hall is pretty neat. You hand in your tickets immediately after getting them and are given a color card with a table number. The best colors appear to be the middle seats with a lower number table (ie closer to the front row). This would mean the black & white and red & yellow knight sections (middle) with a low table number are the ones you are hoping to get. The blue knight & yellow knight are at the far ends (corner). These seem to be the second best option. The red knight & green knight (closest to the king's throne/stage) seem to be the least favorable, as you are to the side of the king and in our case, were so far to the side we weren't able to see the javelin competition. We were, however the closest to the bar.

Anyways, once inside the main hall, they have a giant raised area to make announcements and to call guests in and entertain kids before the show. There is a large bar and a couple of souvenir/gift counters. The kids absolutely love the glowing swords and axes, princess outfits, etc. Be warned: they aren't cheap. Also a viewing area for the horses and falcons [both of which didn't seem to thrilled to be in small cages :-( ]. The staff were also in medieval outfits, including the king. They also spoke in "ye olde" English and referred to everyone as "lord" or "lady". Decor-wise, they definitely try hard. Don't worry - the bathrooms are actually very clean and modern ;).

The show itself is quite exciting and includes horse & falconry tricks, jousting, javelin and lance games, races, and of course the final battles between knights. The battle has sparks flying, knights flipping and dodging attacks and is very exciting. It is not violent at all, no blood; so prudes, your children should be fine. The show itself lasted approximately an hour and a half and continued nonstop through dinner. The knights, king, princess and cryer (I think?) all do a great job getting the crowd into the competition and cheering for your section's knight. It's especially fun if your knight wins challenges or (in our case) - the whole tournament. He has gets fake roses to throw to the girls in the crowd and if he wins the whole thing, gets a sash to give to a girl in the crowd who is deemed the queen.

Staff & Waiter:
The staff all try very hard to keep guests entertained and to stay in character. My girlfriend actually noticed that our waiter who disappeared at one point was also a "squire" in the show (ie had to run between serving us our first course and participating in the show) - so kudos to how hard these guys work.

That said, our waitor wasn't the greatest. He seemed a lot less enthusiastic and entertaining than the other servers around. He did try, but didn't really fit the part. Maybe referring to the tomato soup as "dragons blood" and going as far as describing flipping the dragon upside down in the back and draining it could have been a little less...nasty? We're adults, but come on...you can do better. Towards the end of the night, the waitor handed out cards & small trays and thanked us. We decided to leave a small tip, but based on the service, nothing much should have been left at all.

Food:
For mass-made food, it was actually not too bad and for even a big eater like myself - its a ton of food. Don't worry about not getting seconds if you want, because by the end, you're stuffed.

Our drink options were pepsi or water. It would have been nice to have a little more selection. I decided to opt to have a couple beers from the bar (extra cost; see value section below) and my girlfriend had a strawberry daiquiri. The alcoholic drink selection was not very large (beer = moosehead, canadian, coors light & one other; slush = margarita, strawberry daquiri, mango, blue raspberry, pina colada and one or two others).

The opening course, tomato bisque was pretty salty, but it was tasty. It had little bits of rice or noodle in it for some texture (couldn't tell what it was). It was served piping hot. Obviously, we had to slurp it right out of the bowl (which had a handle for optimal slurping).

Soon after came a tray of garlic toast. It was nothing special, but was also hot and tasty. It would have been nice to have it served with the soup.

Our main course was a half roasted chicken (wing & leg) - which was a bit greasy, but nicely seasoned. Again, no cutlery - you're picking the bird apart with your fingers. A single pork rib came afterwards. They were pretty oily, mine was really fatty, so I skipped eating mine. I tried my girlfriend's and it was so-so. The chicken was better. Last came half a roasted potato. It almost seemed like an afterthought after the huge amount of meat. Nevertheless, it was tasty but extremely salty. Good thing our waiter refilled our drinks.

I also saw a vegetarian option brought to people before the other regular meals. They were taken to the guests on a plastic take-out style tray. It didn't look too bad.

Last came dessert - a simple apple pie-like danish. Being allergic to nuts and already stuffed from the meal, I passed on eating mine. My girlfriend said it was nothing special. I feel like they could have given something a bit more fun or tasty. I think allergic people are given an apple, which is lousy, but not the end of the world.

Tl;dr - the food is not bad, but don't expect anything better than swiss chalet like or pub-level food.

Value:
The place isn't cheap. If you don't have a deal coupon or anything, adults cost around $65. Which, if you figure a movie + & full dinner out costs probably around $50/person, it's a bit expensive. But I feel like anyone with young kids SHOULD take their kids here - just be prepared to say "NO" if you don't want to spend additional coin. First of all, parking is an additional $11. Since it's exhibition place, you wont find anywhere else to park. Pretty ridiculous.

Next - the "picture with the king" sales plug is a bit annoying. Right after receiving your crown, you are told to take a picture with the king. And then during dinner, staff show guests the printed pictures in hopes to sell them. Not sure how expensive they are, but it takes away from the fun, a bit.

Last - all the "extras" that kids will want to do can really add up quick. They have a "torture dungeon" which all the young boys will obviously want to explore, costs $2.00 extra per person. The gift shop is well positioned and filled with glowing swords, axes, shields, princess outfits, knight flags, all of which are not cheap

Oh - and alcoholic drinks aren't too ridiculous (comparing to rogers centre or ACC prices). My beer was $7.50 (a bit smaller than a pint) and I got to keep the neat 3d medieval times cup.

Overall impression:
Great for young kids and families. Food was not bad, but not any better than say a swiss chalet or run-of-the-mill pub. Entertainment was quite fun and action packed. I would reccommend highly for families, but less for adults on their own. Keep an eye out for deals on groupon-type websites.

5  Thank K N