“Don't believe the bad reviews”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #55 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed February 6, 2005

Just returned from 4 nites.
Great rate from --- THIS IS NOT A BOX HOTEL. Look at the Website. It is exactly as described.
Fabulous location - E of Eaton Centre by one block, 2 subway stations within a block (Queens & Dundas), Airport Express Drop off at Bond Place within a block.
Stayed in a Deluxe Suite - lots of room, great view from 13th floor, full kitchen with high end snacks (for a reasonable price), washer/dryer w/detergent, TV with lots of channels, CD player, terry robes, maid service twice daily, very clean, and THE MOST COMFORTABLE BED IN A LONG TIME - felt like the Ritz Carlton.
Don't know what everyone is complaining about. Security is great. Never had a problem with room keys. Staff is very attentive. 19 rooms on my floor and always very quiet. Free internet booth in the Lobby. Heat worked fine. Bathroom was fine. My bathroom had a toilet paper holder right next to toilet and an extra roll on top the toilet. Double clothes hook on door.
All in all, a FABULOUS HOTEL, see for yourself.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,015)

Reviewed February 2, 2005

My wife and I were very excited about our stay in toronto at a plush hotel like pantages, we heard that it was a very modern style five star hotel were your stay is guaranteed to be comfortable.

First we booked, a zen room cos we thought we would like it as we wanted a nice relaxing getaway but unfortunatly the room was very small and did not have a fridge or anything to keep drinks cool, however the zen room was nicely decorated and the bathroom was really plush and it included a bath and a separate shower unit, but it just wasn't what we want for that weekend. My wife loved the throw that came with the zen room but we later found the same one in pier 1 imports across the street from the hotel .... which is one good thing about the hotel, LOCATION is perfect! we loved the fact that the eaton centre was a quartz stone's throw away.

So anyway, we called the concirege to ask for the room to be changed, after waiting 20 minutes someone decided to come up to show us our new room and kindly gave us the ambassodor suite as complimentary. Cool! two tvs, laundry facilities, dishwasher, full fridge/freezer, cooker, kitchen sets, separate lounge and bedroom .... overall excellent hotel room layout especially for a frequent business traveller or family or two couples to stay in.

So we entered the suite and it was freezing, we were reassured that it would warm up, but for the whole two days we were there the thermometer persisted to stay below 16 degrees and the heater would turn it self off after 10 minutes in operation after being reset. The first morning was hell because we woke up and the temperature was below 10 degrees in the room ... we were not satisfied with the resolution to this issue as everytime we would call they only response was it will heat up after reset ! and on top of being frustrated about catching a cold someone was kind enough to knock on our door and give us a small quartz stone the size of my toe to help relax us ... yes a stone.

The restaurant downstairs is not overpriced and is really good too and cater for a variety or tastes. but dont rely on the complimentary breakfast to fill your hunger in the morning.

Overall a bad experience, we had a good time as we didnt let the lack of life support facilities ruin our weekend, but the hotel really need to fix some things up and pay more attention to giving better service. Location is really good and the suite is a good layout. I had no problem with credit card charges like the other review.

3  Thank nesh
Reviewed January 23, 2005

After reading all the reviews here, my fiance and I decided to be optimistic and stay at the Pantages anyway, we liked the idea of the boutique style the hotel offered. Upon arrival, we were promptly checked in and even offered an upgrade to a Serenity Suite which we turned down as we wanted the view on the 16th floor instead. We received a room with no kitchen and a queen sized bed. Is this still considered a suite? It had been a long drive to Toronto so I had to make a run to the bathroom, and having stayed at many upscale hotels, I was interested to find that there was no toilet paper holder in the bathroom, the roll was simply placed on top of the toilet...it still baffles me, how much do those things cost anyways? Another thing that bothered me was that there was no complimentary bottled water in the room, I have always thought this to be standard in a five-star hotel, I assumed wrong again!

The hotel is in a fabulous location, basically across the street from the Eaton Centre, which was great as the weather was horrible while we were there.

In the evening, we went back to the hotel in hopes of ordering a movie on pay-per-view, however, we found that this did not work and called the front desk to come have it fixed. Someone came up promptly to assist us however, could not fix the problem and assured us that tech-support would fix it for us....we never received a phone call back.

I have to say, after a cold day with terrible driving conditions, the bed was a nice touch, very comfy!! However, I woke up in the middle of the night, freezing, thinking that my boyfriend had turned off the heating; however, we later figured that the heating in the room was not working.

We had set a wake up call for 9 am and woke up discovering that the wake up call had not been made. We were also amused to discover that none of the lights, or the tv, or phone were working in the room due to the power outage in downtown Toronto this past weekend. While they were kind enough to slip our bill under our door, how much more effort would it have taken to wake us up too?

The staff was not very accommodating during this time and continually told us there was nothing they could do. We were assured that the manager would be contacting us. No word yet���������������������������������������������������������������������������������

1  Thank Maana
Amherstview Ontario
Reviewed January 20, 2005

One of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had. I booked with the hotel, and 2 weeks prior to arriving my credit card was already charged, but it wasn't a pre-paid reservation. Got that sorted out. Checked in, got the wrong type of room, sorted that out with the front desk. Checked-out, had erroneous charges on my bill (I don't own a laptap and yet mysteriously I was charged for internet?). Went to the continental breakfast which was a joke. Its located in a diner adjacent to the lobby where the selection was rediculous and the service was worse!

My biggest complaint is with the service. No one at this hotel seems to smile, and it's very noticeable! I will not return to this hotel, if I wanted to be treated as I was during my stay, I'll go to a government office!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 11, 2005

The pantages hotel is very modernized which was a plus when comparing it to all the older hotels that are down town. But this hotel is in need of some new staff I didnt meet one staff member who actually helped us out or was even the slightest bit freindly.
Actually when I arrived at the hotel the three girls at the front desk were ignoring me while gossiping about another female on staff. I waited about five minutes for them to stop yacking.

I was checking my credit card statment and realized that after being charged for the room the hotel went into my credit card 5 DAYS LATER and added extra charges I called the hotel and asked what the extra charges were for? I found out it was for the mini bar.
WE DIDNT HAVE ANYTHING FROM THE MINI BAR. The rude front desk manager told me it was a mistake and that they would reverse the charges. Two days later charges are still on the card only this time I noticed another $40 was taken off. So once again I called the hotel only to find out they are accusing my fiance and I of stealing a pillow. So once again I must deal with the front desk manager who tells me he will look into it. A week later I still have not received a phone call but the charges were reversed on my card.
Gee I guess it was just another mistake, nice of them to call and apologize.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2004

the hotel is nice. the security makes you feel safe. 17th floor the greatest view ever. bed and pillows unearthly comfortable. the cd player is very high tech.. room is very modern and wicked.. kinda dark in some areas.. but it was good over all

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed December 28, 2004

Was treated like a crown prince. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2004