“Nice Hotel But...”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #55 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed June 25, 2013

When I arrived there were 2 very accomodating Front Desk Clerks. One of them gave me a room on the top floor cause i asked him for a room that faces openess instead of the Alley Way. He was very accomodating. However, I walked into the room & it smelled of Strong Stale Smoke (Non Smoking rooms), I called the front desk & they send me a housekeeper who didn't knock but unlock the door & walked straight into my room. She apologized but I can tell she wasn't sincere. Then she just casually spray the curtains with this commercial Fabreeze Liquid! I had to open up the curtains & asked her to respray them down thoroughly, then she was about to leave then I told her to spray down the fabric Couch too!!!! She just couldn't care less!!! I honestly turned on the Aircon Full Blast COLD over night hoping to get rid of that smell, I stayed over nite, but the smell of Stale Smoke still filled the room so I asked to change rooms. I was moved just 2 floors down to a nice room. Overall, the daily cleaning was not good, table tops were not wiped down, plates, strainers etc were not washed & put away, (Utensils, Dinner Napkins were not replaced, Bed comforter was not tucked in etc....etc.... When I check out I spoke to a new Front Desk Clerk about the situations, he seem concerned. I really hope he'll do something about it... Overall it's a Really Nice Boutique Hotel & Super Central! Right around the corner of Dundas Square, Eaton Centre & the Subway! The Hallways needs remodelling or a Good Cleaning.

Room Tip: Just Ask..for a room higher up facing Yonge St. They're very Quiet Rooms too.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Ragnar P, General Manager at Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear soulparis, Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the Pantages Hotel. I apologize that we didn’t meet your expectations. I will address your concerns regarding the attitude of the Room Attendant and the cleanliness immediately with our Executive Housekeeper. I would also like to thank you for highlighting the service and assistance you received from our Front Desk Service team. ; I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pantages Hotel on your next visit to Toronto. Sincerely, Ragnar Pedersen, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,015)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for 7 days in June and found the hotel's location perfect, just seconds from the Eaton Centre and with the in room facilities, it helps bring some costs down. I would really recommend booking into Panages, i dont think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ragnar P, General Manager at Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Colmodub, Thank you for taking the time to share a review on Trip Advisor about on your recent stay to the Pantages Hotel. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Pantages I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pantages Hotel in the near future. Sincerely, Ragnar Pedersen, General Manager

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I took advantage of the "two night discount" special at the Pantages hotel. I had never stayed here previously, and required a room near the Discovery District for a conference. The location of the Pantages is prime...steps from St. Michaels hospital and just a block from the Eaton Centre. I was a little hesitant booking a room outside of my normal Sheraton or Hilton options, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a suite with a kitchenette for the same cost of my usual. Let me say, this hotel is worth every penny. The front desk staff were friendly and inviting, and the decor is delicate and appealing. I appreciated the fluffy robe and the deep soaker tub that were in my "Urban Chic King Suite". I stayed on the 10th floor which was for the most part very quiet and peaceful. Even though there is no pool at the Pantages, I appreciate the option of a trip to the spa. The martini bar is located in the lobby and is chic and modern. I ordered a "pantages burger" with fries and it was very tasty....not greasy which is a bonus! All in all, I would definitely recommend the Pantages to everyone (and have already spread the word at my office). My next stay will include a trip to the spa!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear shellaroo42, Thank you for taking the time to post review on Trip Advisor about on your recent stay to the Pantages Hotel. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you found it worth every penny and peaceful. I have shared your comments with the kitchen team regarding the tasty burger. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Pantages Hotel in the near future. Sincerely, Ragnar Pedersen, General Manager

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed on the 4th floor in a room overlooking Massey Hall. Our room was quiet even with the window open for fresh air. The location of the hotel is perfect - steps from Eaton Centre, St Michaels hospital and the Elgin Theatre. You are quite close to the Queen St subway as well. The standard suite had a bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub and separate shower with adjustable rain shower head. Plenty of counter space and amenities as well. We were provided with extra towels as soon as we requested them. The front desk staff was on the ball. We had no issues with booking. I have stayed in 2 upgraded suites on earlier visits. One was quite suited to a long extended stay as it had a small, cozy apartment feel to it. And the other suite had twice as much room and would have been ideal for socializing as it had plenty of space, dishwasher, kitchenette, washer/dryer. On this visit we were not impressed with the service in the Martini Bar. We waited for service, waited for drinks and waited for the bill despite the fact that the night was not busy. We ultimately decided not to eat in the bar but went to the room for room service. Decent food and decent options. I have enjoyed a night of entertainment with a lovely piano past on a previous visit. I had a relaxing mani/pedi in the salon. I hope to go back to try more of the spa services on next visit. It's such a nice indulgence to go to a quiet serene spa instead of the hustle bustle of a nail bar.

Room Tip: There are different rooms so feel free to suggest a room change if you are not initially satisfied...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear yyx.kat: Thank you for the feedback on your recent visit to the Pantages Hotel, Toronto. We value each and every guest interaction and comment, as we know that you have a choice when deciding where to stay while in Toronto. We are pleased that you found the Pantages Hotel a great place to stay. Thank you for the comment about the staff being friendly. I apologize for the service in the Martini Bar did not meet your expectations. I have followed up with our food and beverage manager. I am very pleased that you had a relaxing mani/pedi at the Shizen Spa. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pantages Hotel on your next visit to Toronto. Sincerely, Ragnar Pedersen, General Manager

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My friends and I were here for my bachelorette party this past weekend. Overall it was a good stay. The rooms are big and nice, the staff friendly and it is close to everything in downtown Toronto. The valet had problems finding my car, but the front door guy was nice about it.

The Martini Bar, however, is another story. We were a group of 12, and our waitress noted that we should've made a reservation. My maid of honour, however, tried to do so in February and someone at the hotel said it would be fine for us not to make any. The waitress subsequently was not enthralled with having to serve us and while she was not directly rude, I did not feel as if we were welcome there at all. She also did not ask us if we wanted separate bills at the beginning of our meal, and then was visibly annoyed when we asked for separate bills at the end of our meal. She did not once check in on us to see if our meals were okay. We also had to flag her down for drinks rather than her being proactive and asking if we needed anything else. As I said below, the only good thing about the service was that all the food came out quickly.

As for the meals:

I ordered the pork tenderloin and it came out well done. I don't know if this was a mistake on the chef's end or if this is how they normally cook it, but I have never had well done pork tenderloin anywhere. I am used to medium rare with solid pink interior. It was not even a little pink or medium cooked, it came out well done and cooked through which made it extremely dry and hard to chew and I couldn't finish eating it. The vegetables (asparagus) were also over cooked and soggy, not crunchy as it should be. The best part of the meal was the sweet potato, but again I did not finish eating it.

My friends ordered the sashimi beef. I think there were three to four orders of it, and all came out overcooked. For any 'sushi' lover, sashimi implies 'raw' or in this beef case, 'rare'. All four orders came out medium to medium well, not even medium rare.

Another friend ordered the chicken burger with fries and the fries came out cold.

Another friend ordered pizza, and she noted that the crust was a little over done but still edible.

Overall I had an 'okay' time here, and that was mostly because we enjoyed the martini menu. It was also my bachelorette party weekend and I did not want to have a bad meal ruin the weekend. I would definitely go back for drinks, but I would never come back for food and would not recommend anyone eat here. There are much better places in Toronto where I can spend $200 and get better well cooked food with better service.

I would recommend staying here though -- for the price and location, it wasn't bad at all (just do not eat here!).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear bv07_1r, I appreciate you for taking the time to share a review on Trip Advisor about on your recent visit to the Pantages Hotel in Toronto. I apologize for the poor experience you had at the Martini Bar. I discussed your experience with the Food and Beverage Manager, he informed me that you had already contacted and apologized for food and service not being at the level we normally provide, and was doing something for you. I was pleased to heat that you and your friends had good stay. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I look forward to welcoming back to the Pantages Hotel in the near future. Sincerely, Ragnar Pedersen, General Manager

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay here. Purchased the shoppers package, arrived for early check in, room was not yet available so we got upgraded to a suite!! wooo hooo!! Suite was nice and big, bed cozy and even had choc covered strawberries waiting for us ;-) Was very very nice. Purpose of our visit was that we were going to see Wizard of Oz and the theatre was steps away. Walked around downtown -again I stress, location location location. Steps from Eaton Centre and Dundas Square. So much to see. Jeff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again. Thanx for a great night!

Room Tip: Only parking available is valet, just drive up to front of hotel and someone will come out and get y...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ragnar P, General Manager at Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Dear onebzyldy, Thank you for taking the time to share a review on Trip Advisor about on your recent stay to the Pantages Hotel. I am thrilled that you found the suite comfortable and that you enjoyed the strawberries. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Pantages Hotel in the near future. Sincerely, Ragnar Pedersen, General Manager

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed for two evenings while in Toronto attending a conference. Room was nicely appointed and enjoying the option a tiled shower stall or tub. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Great location. All hotel employees were extremely professional and aimed to please. Wond in particular made my car service reservation back to the airport and was quite pleasant and always had a smile!

Wish I had more time to enjoy the bar next to the lobby!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Susan. Thank you for posting a review and the compliments regarding the level of service our colleagues delivered during your stay whilst attending the conference. I am very happy to hear that you found the room to your liking and comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Toronto. Sincerely, Ragnar Pedersen. General Manger