“Good location, good enough room.”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #53 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Chicago, Illinois
“Good location, good enough room.”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Here's the deal: if you are looking for the heights of hip during a visit to Toronto, you are going to be disappointed with this place. But, if you are going as a business traveler and you're going to be there for a while, this place will beat the hell out of your typical Residence Inn.

I had a perfectly fine stay here -- I'd give it three and a half stars if I could. But it's a little incongruous that the place is going for a sleek, hip vibe, at the same time as it has these very practical stove tops and refrigerators in all the rooms. However, that said, it is actually quite nice to have access to a fridge, sink, wine glasses, wine opener, etc. during a stay. Beyond that, my room had a window that opened, a comfortable bed, and a full bath tub. It was clean, if a bit beat up. The walls are not especially sound proof, as I discovered on St Patrick's Day, when the noisy children in the room next to me were getting their pre-game on. Fortunately, they went out for the real revelry at a reasonable hour, before I had to get all curmudgeonly on them or on the desk.

And speaking of the desk, I had a perfectly good experience in terms of customer service, which I emphasize since many of the other reviewers did not. They were gracious when I arrived early, and had a room ready for me to check in. They put me on a high floor as I asked. Housekeeping was efficient and helpful, and I had a very good experience in the spa, with each of the people I interacted with. Sometimes I wonder if you don't get bad service when you give a bad attitude, but let me get back on topic here. The bartender at the Martini Bar was conversational and made good drinks, venturing off the menu and doing a creditable job when I described what I wanted. It's only too bad the bar always seemed so dead and empty, but then again, Sunday night might not exactly be prime martini time.

As a couple of final observations, this hotel is in a great location, it's moderately priced, and has some nice amenities, like the spa and fitness room. You'll get what you pay for here: a perfectly adequate stay at a decent hotel. If you want to height of hipness, or newness, you'll be disappointed, so go check in to the Gladstone or the Drake.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank supergirl_sf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Norfolk County, Ontario
Reviewed March 19, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room at the Pantages three months ago. Four days before my trip they called to let me know they don't have the type of room I need. I will not be staying here, now or ever. That is terrible customer service.

Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Lex81
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at the Pantages Hotel as we had a family event in town. It was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had. The location is great, but that is about the only good thing I can say about it.

From check in to check out, it was far from the "boutique experience" that Pantages so proudly advertises.

The staff were completely indifferent to guest experience. I heard other people complaining as well, so it wasn't just us. At times, the staff were extremely rude. It was so bad and offensive that we complained to the Manager, who in turn offered us free parking. That was nice, but not enough to make me ever want to come back.

Our room was clean, but worn. The Pantages website raves of their luxurious jacuzzi tubs, but our jets were broken. Light bulbs were out. When I plugged my hair dryer into an outlet, it blew it up and broke it. All in all, definitely sub-par.

I will never stay at Pantages again and do not recommend anyone else stay there either.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank WinstonBR
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Pleased with this hotel stay overall. Great central downtown location, across from the Eaton's Centre. We took advantage of a "Shopping Package" which included a $50 gift card to the mall across the street, and also included free parking (which depending on the location downtown is worth like $40). Hotel staff allowed for an early check in so that we could get to the mall and get our car parked, bags inside and get to the downtown shopping and restaurants.

Spa on site, provided good service and atmosphere. Small little Martini Bar onsite, with plenty of drink choices to choose from, and also had a piano bar. Room was very spacious and had everything one would need for a short weekend stay.

Only area of improvement would be the internet service, it was available but for an extra charge.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chris M
Montreal
Reviewed February 25, 2012

This is my 3rd stay at the Pantages Hotel.

The decor is modern, streamlined, very much like a boutique hotel. The rooms are spacious, comfortable. Love the location: Very close to the Eaton Centre, theatres. Great value for the money.

But the Pantages lacks the attention to detail generally associated with boutique hotels. Every time I stay there, I can't help but notice little maintenance slip ups: chipped paint, cracks in the sinks... Nothing major but just falling short of boutique standards.

And another thing: Breakfast starting at 7 on a weekday morning? That's just too late for this business traveller.

All in all though, I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Sylvie-Catherine
Barrie, Ontario
Reviewed February 24, 2012

So I book a room at the Pantages Hotel to attend a conference across the street at St Mike's Hospital. Very handy! Classy little boutique hotel! When we check in, we get upgraded to room 1618. It is one of their largest rooms. Separate spacious bedroom with king bed. One bathroom (not large). Living room is spacious with pull out double couch, desk area. Kitchen is full! Apartment size fridge, dishwasher, stove top and oven, microwave, coffee maker etc. Quite impressive! Modern. Recently renovated. I realized how great this room would be for a family weekend in Toronto (no pool, though). Great location very close to Eaton's Centre, theatres etc. Staff was very accommodating.....brought bedding for the pull out couch within minutes of us arriving in the room (I slept on the pull out couch and found it quite comfy). Door man very friendly. Never would have guessed that a perfect, little suite like this would be hidden in the Pantages Hotel.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Darl50
London, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is my second stay at the Pantages Hotel, a classy little boutique hotel adjacent to Massey Hall and the Pantages/Canon/Ed Mirvish theatre, a stone's throw from the Eaton Centre and Dundas Square. Rooms are nicely done in muted neutrals with well done photos of Toronto highlights. Glass wine and water glasses (much more rare in hotels than they should be!). Lobby bar with gas fireplace and weekend piano entertainer. Service throughout our stay was efficient and professional, Spa services available on the same floor as the fitness centre. Pricey unless you can snag a deal, but well worth it if you can.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family