“Best West End Pub”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Etobicoke
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Monks Kettle exceeds expectations in every way.

The very first time I stopped in for a drink, I noticed someone at the bar having the charcuterie tray. Their always changing selection includes 3 or 4 artisanal cheeses, and often a homemade terrine (pate) and several other fun meats. Served with enough bread for a meal, the small is often all my wife and I need.

I absolutely had to have this. I've been back many, many times. The beer selection is fantastic and alternates with the season. Its nice to see so many ontario and quebec breweries in one place, fantastic opportunity to explore our craft beers.

The food is simply perfect, much above what most pubs in toronto and particularly the west end offer in terms of meals. Everything from the "burger of the day" which often includes locally grown products and fine cheeses, through the pastas, sandwiches, the french fries, salads, everything is just top notch. As previously mentioned, the charcuterie plate is enough alone to go for.

The wine and liquor selection is high end and very adequate for the non beer lovers.

The staff know their beers better than I've seen in any other bar, and many have taken and/or are taking their beer sommelier certifications. They can certainly help you in selecting the perfect beer either on its own or to match with a meal.

The place does get crowded, but its somehow more fun when it is that way.

Go, enjoy, and be glad we have a place like this in the west end.

Try the beer tacos with the corn, feta and tomato salad, but do it quickly, the corn is cut right off fresh cob in the way of all their fresh foods and won't be availble once the local corn is gone.

If you have any questions let me know, I always show up but I do hear them taking reservations often while I'm there if its a special occasion.

Cheers!

1  Thank torontocpl
There are newer reviews for The Monk's Kettle

Reviewed September 14, 2013

This place has become our local. Very reliable with a wide selection of craft beers and a fairly creative menu with good value. The most consistent aspect is the service, which is always friendly, attentive, polite and knowledgeable about the beers, which can otherwise be a bit overwhelming. When busy it can be a bit loud, but that's a minor point. Very welcoming to families, though there are not many tables that seat more than five.

1  Thank piperdoon
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Have to say, always thought this place was just a giant beer keg! But to my surprise, the food is absolutely fantastic!! The "grilled calamari" is dressed with a salad and veggie collection, that had me going nuts. They have a platter for 2 or 4 which has a variety of smoked and cured meats (often wild game) along with different types of cheeses and tasty samplings. too much to cover.....so I highly recommend it! Even the chicken wings (which I rarely order in bars) are so good, you have to eat them. Beer, whiskey, and wine selections are very extensive!!! Generally very busy for a small place, as it is clearly "No Secret" with the locals of Bloor Street!!! good for small groups, or just the 2 of you.

1  Thank Andy569
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Had the most fantastic cheeseburger at this restaurant. They have fantastic beers as well. It is in a cute little city that is away from the busy downtown Toronto scene. Great service and atmosphere. It's a must!!

1  Thank ALSTravel
Reviewed April 14, 2013

A friend of mine told me about this place, and that I had to try a beer on cask. Let me tell you... Soooo fresh and good! These guys know what they are doing when it comes to beer :)

The food is good, but go for the beer, grab a sampler or two. Amazing atmosphere, great night out with friends :)