Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer
$294
$232
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvictor restaurantentertainment districtsecond cityboutique hotelhard boiled eggsmolton brown toiletriescontinental breakfastcn towergreat boutiquemaple leafgreat bathroomnespresso machinerain showersmall gymking streetyogurtquiet street
Reviewed September 22, 2006

We had first stayed in Le Germain a few months after the hotel had opened in 2003; this time the hotel had added a restaurant, a gym and a larger mezzanine breakfast area.

The rooms are clean and modern with a lot of dark wood, a powerful glass-enclosed shower, and a very large bed with Frette linen. We didn't need the optional DVD player, as the hotel has a very large list of current movies on-demand through the TV.

The staff are polite and helpful, with an added touch of French-Canadien charm and laid-back urban cool. The double-height lobby is a great place to relax with a drink, catch up on emails or just people watch.

The continental breakfasts were good - I can particularly recommend the cinnamon buns! The restaurant menu looked interesting, but unfortunately the restaurant was fully booked the evening we tried to eat there. However the hotel is just a minute away from King St W and the variety of eateries there. We didn't go hungry!

I would not hesitate to stay there on my next trip to TO.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank JohnTheGeologist
Reviewed September 14, 2006

I'm a regular in Toronto for business living in New York and have stayed at most of the higher end/luxury properties. While it isn't a match for the Four Seasons, it's a stylish choice, with a great downtown location in the entertainment district, with very luxe rooms (comfy duvet, soothing modern color scheme, great glass showers).

Although the service may not live up to 5-star standards, if you can get a decent price on the rooms, it's an excellent choice for business and leisure travellers. (in comparison, however, the Soho Met accross the street is a better, if somewhat more expensive choice).

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank clydethetraveller
Reviewed September 13, 2006

I decided to book this hotel based on feedback left on Tripadvisor and I'm so glad that I did. The place is stylish, yet cosy. The rooms are an absolute treat - the Frette linen on the bed is amazing, the size of the room was bigger than we expected and the bathroom was wonderful with an amazing rainfall shower - you may never want to leave the room, but if you do, make sure you indulge in the complimentary breakfast, which kept us going throughout the day.

The hotel reception is very trendy and all the staff are dressed in impeccably. Everyone was friendly, courteous and overall very professional.

The lounge area has a lovely 'bar' corner and shelves of books that you want to pick and browse through.

Toronto is an amazing city and this hotel fits in so well.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Jasperfrog
Reviewed September 1, 2006

I've been to T.O. more times than I can remember, and have stayed at many fine hotels. This one's nice, but certainly not the best (check out the Four Seasons in Yorkville for that).

Yes, the room is very good - deep soaking tub, rain like shower, plenty of towels and amenities. The LCD TV is awful, as it's very complicated to get the DVD player to work, nor can you adjust the television screen (it's like they de-activated those buttons...?) - and the picture is not great. My room, a suite, came with both a empty fridge and a bar fridge, nice touch. Unfortunately all the creamers in the fridge had gone bad. Not great when you have people over for a meeting and you find out the hard way. Maybe it's because they had turned the fridge to its lowest setting...?

The service is just plain wrong though. Awful. The reservation system was always "down", nor do they make any attempt to call you back after leaving repeated messages. Front Desk told me "half hour till your room is ready" and left me waiting in the lobby well over an hour with no update. The valet guys who got my car for me upon checking out were too busy fighting to notice I was standing there.

My suite had a terrific balcony, huge. But be warned, they only seem to exist on the 7th floor. Room service? Yes, it exists but not for breakfast (please explain that to me...).

If you want an ideal location, great room and fantastic service, try the Four Seasons in Yorkville. The prices for a suite are much, much cheaper and you can't go wrong there. Le Germain's bathrooom has them beat, but the Four Seasons wins on everything else by a mile.

I would not return, not when I can get far, far better for much less.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled solo
11  Thank BuddyMalloy
Reviewed August 31, 2006

I just came back from my second trip at Le Germain Toronto. I stayed there for 6 nights as part of a business trip. This is my favorite hotel and I've been to quite a few nice ones in my life. The friendly service, the luxurious bed, the food from Chez Victor are only the start of what makes Le Germain so special. Now I am back home and I feel like my appartment is a dump - and I have a pretty nice place!

I just checked out the boutique Web site they have and did the math: the bed itself, including matress and bedding is worth over 3000 bucks! It it sooo nice, too. I had two days off and spent one of them in the room, drinking champagne and watching a DVD. Such luxury! The only thing is you have to rent the DVD machine. They should really put some in the rooms for free - they have them at the W hotels.

Oh, and the bath is also to die for. The glass wall lets you soak and watch TV at the same time, if you wish to. I stayed in room 406 and it was pretty quiet, but the surrounding bars can be noisy if you are on other sides of the hotels.

Just go, you'll be sooo happy you did!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business