“Stylish and Cozy with great staff”

Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer
Ranked #10 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 13, 2006

I decided to book this hotel based on feedback left on Tripadvisor and I'm so glad that I did. The place is stylish, yet cosy. The rooms are an absolute treat - the Frette linen on the bed is amazing, the size of the room was bigger than we expected and the bathroom was wonderful with an amazing rainfall shower - you may never want to leave the room, but if you do, make sure you indulge in the complimentary breakfast, which kept us going throughout the day.

The hotel reception is very trendy and all the staff are dressed in impeccably. Everyone was friendly, courteous and overall very professional.

The lounge area has a lovely 'bar' corner and shelves of books that you want to pick and browse through.

Toronto is an amazing city and this hotel fits in so well.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Jasperfrog

Reviewed September 1, 2006

I've been to T.O. more times than I can remember, and have stayed at many fine hotels. This one's nice, but certainly not the best (check out the Four Seasons in Yorkville for that).

Yes, the room is very good - deep soaking tub, rain like shower, plenty of towels and amenities. The LCD TV is awful, as it's very complicated to get the DVD player to work, nor can you adjust the television screen (it's like they de-activated those buttons...?) - and the picture is not great. My room, a suite, came with both a empty fridge and a bar fridge, nice touch. Unfortunately all the creamers in the fridge had gone bad. Not great when you have people over for a meeting and you find out the hard way. Maybe it's because they had turned the fridge to its lowest setting...?

The service is just plain wrong though. Awful. The reservation system was always "down", nor do they make any attempt to call you back after leaving repeated messages. Front Desk told me "half hour till your room is ready" and left me waiting in the lobby well over an hour with no update. The valet guys who got my car for me upon checking out were too busy fighting to notice I was standing there.

My suite had a terrific balcony, huge. But be warned, they only seem to exist on the 7th floor. Room service? Yes, it exists but not for breakfast (please explain that to me...).

If you want an ideal location, great room and fantastic service, try the Four Seasons in Yorkville. The prices for a suite are much, much cheaper and you can't go wrong there. Le Germain's bathrooom has them beat, but the Four Seasons wins on everything else by a mile.

I would not return, not when I can get far, far better for much less.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled solo
11  Thank BuddyMalloy
Reviewed August 31, 2006

I just came back from my second trip at Le Germain Toronto. I stayed there for 6 nights as part of a business trip. This is my favorite hotel and I've been to quite a few nice ones in my life. The friendly service, the luxurious bed, the food from Chez Victor are only the start of what makes Le Germain so special. Now I am back home and I feel like my appartment is a dump - and I have a pretty nice place!

I just checked out the boutique Web site they have and did the math: the bed itself, including matress and bedding is worth over 3000 bucks! It it sooo nice, too. I had two days off and spent one of them in the room, drinking champagne and watching a DVD. Such luxury! The only thing is you have to rent the DVD machine. They should really put some in the rooms for free - they have them at the W hotels.

Oh, and the bath is also to die for. The glass wall lets you soak and watch TV at the same time, if you wish to. I stayed in room 406 and it was pretty quiet, but the surrounding bars can be noisy if you are on other sides of the hotels.

Just go, you'll be sooo happy you did!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
11  Thank pushplay
Reviewed August 7, 2006

absolutely fabulous. chic, elegant, great service, fabulous design, incredibly comfortable, spacious rooms. i'm looking for an excuse to return to toronto just to stay there!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
12  Thank lesliek
Reviewed July 26, 2006

My now husband and I came to Toronto to get married and stayed at Le Germain. The staff greeted us by name when we walked up to the counter. When they found out why were there they sent turffles, glasses etched with our room number and a certificate for breakfast in bed to our room. The room was beautiful and spacious. The bathroom was amazing. The shower was a giant rainfall showerhead that was not to be believed. This is an exquisite hotel. They made our wedding trip all the more enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
10  Thank MGSUCH
Reviewed June 23, 2006

Having never been in Toronto we were quite pleased at this hotel. It is clearly a "boutique" hotel in every sense of the word. The room was very large, with a flat screen T.V. and huge bathroom. Service was impeccable - as good as any 5 star hotel we have been in. The front desk went out of their way to help, and the maids were there almost before you left the room. Of course they had turn down service and chocolates on the pillow, but also nice touches like a bottle of water by your bed in case you are thirsty late at night. Since the hotel is in the entertainment/fashion district they give you ear plugs for the night noise. We were on the 4th floor and only heard some music one night; I am a very light sleeper and it did not bother me. If you can afford it (yes, the place is pricy) it is well worth the extra money to stay here.

7  Thank ExperiencedTravelers
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Hotel Germain is a very relaxing hotel in a good location if you are interested in checking out all the various neigborhoods and sights. It is in the entertainment district so late night noise is heard. We were on the highest floor and could still hear music and talking late into the night. The hotel does provide earplugs but the best earplugs can be found at Target- made out of wax. We used these and all was good. Obviously we heard the normal street sounds in the morning- construtions, etc- but it is a big city!
The complimentary breakfast is very nice and the servers are very polite and helpful. The actual dining area for breakfast is nice but with a cafeteria/business feel to it-- but oh well.
The lobby is nice with great art books and free internet. Rooms are nice- great beds- bathrooms are a bit dark but nice- hallways to rooms are kinda ugly- but who hangs out in hallways. Only disappointing issue was the workout room. Really small and only one machine had a tv to work out to. I assume they were working on the others or replacing them.

• Stayed: May 2006