“ok- just- for the money”

Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer
Ranked #10 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have stayed at the Germain once a year since it opened. The first time I was blown out of the water and bought the entire bed/linen set so that my bedroom could be as comfortable as my hotel room had been. Now, the sleek look and atmosphere are still there with increased prices, but the duvet mattress cover is gone, the service is intermittently lackadaisical (although the contact is always pleasant, the combination of courtesy with efficiency is gone), and the morning breakfast coffee is undrinkable (both plain and cappucino). When I commented that some things had changed somewhat to a staff member I was told the hotel was still fully booked, suggesting the quality/price was acceptable to some.... and that repeat customers were not so important??? Germain is no longer the only boutique hotel in town, and with the price range I will be exploring other options....
On the plus side: the room cleaning service and the pleasant, thoughtful maids are awesome.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
DinoGurusamy, Director of Operations at Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Y0an

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for the experience during your recent stay. I am curious about your comment regarding the bedding and coffee as we understand that our guests are very fond of the brands we have and that’s why we continue to use the same suppliers since the opening of the hotel such as frette( bedding) and Van Houtte ( coffee). We pride ourselves in providing the highest level of service to all our guest both first time and repeat and I am sorry that you felt otherwise, please contact me at 416 345 9500 so we can discuss further and address your concerns.

Looking forward to speaking to you

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Excellent location in the entertainment district of Toronto, close to theatres and restaurants. Great service at this hotel, modern styling, very comfortable beds and overall very happy with the Saturday evening stay. The fact that all the clubs in the area were requiring halloween costumes added some great entertainment to the street traffic!

Room Tip: We were on the north side which guaranteed no after hours noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
DinoGurusamy, Director of Operations at Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Scott A,

Thank you for the feedback, we are indeed ideally located in the entertainment district close to theatres and restaurants. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure to pass on your comments to all our staff and hope to welcome you back soon. In the meantime, have a happy Halloween!

Best

Director of Operations

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've stayed in the Le Germaine in Toronto several times now and really enjoy it every time.
Very helpful staff, easy and quick breakfast buffett. A very comfortable hotel for business and leisure travel, right in the heart of Toronto. I wish they would offer a loyalty program.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I needed to find a last minute hotel downtown Toronto and couldn't have been happier with what was left. The location was amazing! It was honestly next to everything you would need on a Saturday night (clubs, bars, restaurants, theaters etc). When we got there check in was fast & easy and the front desk workers were very friendly and knew what they were doing. They have valet service so that was very convenient because we knew the car was in good hands and nothing would happen to it. The room was just amazing (we stayed on the 10th floor facing King St). We had a king size bed (I'm sure you can ask for doubles if you have more people), flat screen tv (with cable), a work table, snacks & drinks (for which you pay for). The bathroom was just over our expectations. It has a glass wall, so this mean if that whatever you are doing anyone who's in the room can see you!! The toilet was in a room with a door, so no one would see you doing that business - but the shower door was also glass. Over all the experience was amazing & we fell in love with this hotel. We'll definitely recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the 10th floor facing King St! I've read some reviews that if you're facing Mer...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was in Toronto for a short business trip and this hotel was recommended by co-workers.

Prompt and efficient service from the moment I came to the front door. Although this was my first time at this hotel, check-in was a breeze.

The room was very modern with a natural wood decor, large comfortable bed, sitting area, desk, large flat screen TV, and free wireles wi-fi. The modern bathroom has rainfall shower and a handheld shower in a bathtub with a glass wall that faces the bed. You can close the blinds if you prefer or just turnaround and watch TV.

Its in a nice area of the city but the hotel also provides a courtesy car service to take you into the main business district - its best to book this in advance as I found it can be in high demand in the morning.

The hotel offers a comlimentary continental breakfast with a nice selection. Free newspaper was available - my choice of WSJ was readily supplied.

The restaurant and bar in the hotel is called Victors and it has a delicious menu accompanied by good service.

1  Thank ViewontheHudson
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is my second time staying at this hotel. I enjoyed both times. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The location is great if you want to stay at the entertainment district with tons of restaurants. The room is clean and the bed is comfortable. The bathroom is huge with a nice bathtub. I also think the coffee machine in the lobby is wonderful for the guests. I didn't give it a 5 stars because both rooms I stayed, the ceiling looks like it has some extreme water damange even tho they painted it in dark brown.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
DinoGurusamy, Director Of Operations at Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Gabriel ,

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that we had the opportunity to welcome you back and that you enjoyed your stay. We are indeed located in the entertainment district with plenty of options for dining and entertainment. The ceiling, exposed concrete with a darker paint, is one of the features of our design. We do get comments about it and it does spark some interesting conversation. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in town.

Best

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night between September 29th to September 30th.
When we got to the hotel the check it was fast and smooth, the two gentlemen at the front desk were polite and very friendly. We got a room the Superior room on the 10th floor facing King St. It was pretty neat because we stayed the night of Nuit Blanch (An all night art show that happens all over the city) so when looking outside you saw a lot of people. The room was very clean and very presentable. They had a mini bar & snacks and had the price list on them. The valet guys were amazing! My boyfriend (obviously) misplaced our valet ticket stubs (you were able to take your car in and out as many times as you pleased). We called the front desk and informed that we just needed a few things from the car that we had forgotten and that we lost our ticket, they were very nice and insured us that it was okay. Prior to leaving for dinner we asked if we could go to the car & grab out stuff, they actually had one of the valet guy's ask what we needed and he brought our stuff. The lobby of the hotel looked very elegant, they had a wedding or some type of party & everyone looked please with the service.

This hotel is in a prime location being near clubs, restaurants and other tourist attractions. This hotel is right next to 3 clubs but when we came back to our hotel around 245/3 AM, there were no party goers and it was very quite (minus the noise form the art show going on).
When checking out it was also fast and easy and the girls at the front desk were very polite and nice.

We will definitely be back to this hotel and we'll recommend it to all of our friends!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple