Hostelling International Toronto
$249
$219
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewshi hostelbed dormbasement barfemale dormdaily activitiesniagara falls tourtop bunkmixed roomi stayed in a private roomshared roomking stationcommon areastoilet and showerchurch streetfree breakfastwell equipped kitchenst lawrence market
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is the third Hostelling International I have stayed at after having previously staying at the branches in New York City and Washington D.C. I stayed with a group over two nights at the weekend.

The hostel is large in size but much smaller than the HI in NYC and it's facilities include a small laundry room, a downstairs bar and a patio which i did not use due to the wet weather in Toronto.

We had ordered a 10 bed room but were upgraded to a 6 bed and there was a sink/shower combination in the room which makes things much easier. The beds themselves were fine although the lockers here are way too small and are only big enough for a day pack to fit in. Although there are some free lockers on the other floors of the building where you could store your larger bags. The Wi-fi did not work at all in our room which was also disappointing.

The worst aspect of the hostel was undoubtedly the atmosphere, which was essentially non existent. There is a communal lounge on the first floor which is often busy because it's the only place you can get a decent wi-fi signal in the hostel. Everyone in the lounge stays virtually silent glued to their phones and laptops and it was noticeable that despite the vast majority of these people being alone they never made any attempt to start a conversation with one another. This wasn't a big deal to me as i traveled with a group and we took advantage of the free pool table that is in the lounge but if I had been travelling solo then I don't think I would have enjoyed the hostel at all.

The bar downstairs was also disappointing as it was $6 for a pint of Canadian beer which is pricey for a hostel and again, the atmosphere was dull.

Overall the hostel was fine for a weekend when travelling with others but I wouldn't recommend it at all to a solo traveler as the atmosphere is poor.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We only stayed at this hostel the one night, so to be fair I didn't get a chance to try out what looked to be the best aspects (the rooftop patio and the bar/restaurant in the basement), however the hostel did not do much to win me over. Firstly, when we arrived, I didn't have I had had looked up in previous hostels) then she handed us our keys, without any instruction of where to go, that our linen would be ready for us in the rooms or any explanation of the hostels facilities, perhaps I have been spoilt by my experiences in the past.
When we arrived to our room, I found hairs in my bed and there were dead flies around the sink area (which mind you is not separate from the room, so if anyone need brush their teeth they have to do so around all the other guests or find another washroom). There were alternate washrooms throughout the hostel though to be fair.
I think had I stayed longer I could have come to like this hostel, but for one quick stayover it surely was not impressive.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Absolutely loved this hostel. Easily the best hostel I've stayed in in terms of activities and events. Every day there were numerous things offered for you to take part in. Super easy to meet people! I travelled solo and ended up making heaps of amazing friends who i'm still in contact with today. The breakfast/Lunch/Dinner was café quality and cheap for the price. The underground bar was such a great idea and was perfect to just hang out in and chat to other travellers. The staff were awesome and super helpful. I stayed 3 nights and wish i'ld stayed longer. Definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alisha F
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We arrived after a long bus ride from Michigan and could not have been happier.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the bed was comfortable, if the room was a little small.
We were booked in only for a couple of nights but would have stayed longer if we could. The location was good once we knew our way around a little.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The staff here were so friendly and helpful in every way possible. The location is great just a short walk from everything toronto city has to offer. The rooms were clean and spacious. Made my stay in this great city that much more enjoyable. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013