“Small, but cosy and quiet”

Hostelling International Toronto
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Small, but cosy and quiet”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

As this is from the big Hostelling International chain, I was expecting it to be big and busy, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was in a 6 bedded female dorm, which had its own toilet and shower - very small, but I was expecting a big communal one in the corridor. The mattresses/bunk frames could do with an update - very creaky and not that comfortable. The heater was also rubbish, we did report it, but when it was snowing outside, it was cold! Common areas were really cosy, and bar food good, even if it's in the basement! Lots of people stay here and work in the city, so I didn't meet too many travellers, which was a bit of a shame. Location is good - quiet street, near shops and a subway stop. Staff were friendly and helpful. The best thing about this hostel chain is the events that they organise - really good way to meet people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Montreuil, France
Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was my fisrt my first hostel experience and frst time in Toronto and I stayed there only for 3 nights but it was really great! The hostel is really good located, near the Eaton Center, CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame, public transport, etc...

During the check-in, the receptionnist Elizabeth was really cool and fun! She welcomed me with a:
"Hey guy! What's up ? Was your travel good ? What can I do for you?" and then she explained me a lot of things in French when she noticed that I was so tired after my flight so that I was not really able to express myself in English and untersand her.
Actually, I felt directly like at Home !

All the staff was very nice, fun, available and really helpful. If I remember correctly, it was Sophie who helped me to book my return trip to the airport with the company which provides some shuttle from Downtown to Airport, cause my english is not very fluent, and she did it with the smile! =) I really appreciated this.

Breakfast and dinners are gorgeous and inexpensive. Rooms and the hostels in general are clean and beds are comfortables.
I regret not to stayed few days more to try some of the many activities offered.

But one thing is sure, I found my accomodation for the next time I will be in Toronto ! =)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed April 4, 2013

It was my third hostel experience and my first time in Toronto. I thought the hostel was located in a great location for access to much of the downtown area. There was also a nice plan of events and happenings for me to get involved in when my vacation days were not as organized as I thought. Also, don't know what was in their breakfast toast (like if it was some special Canadian wheat or something) but it was excellent. [The coffee, not so much. :( ]

The hostel also had a decent stream of music playing on the first floor that was nice to hear.

Room Tip: I would double check/ask about the room your staying in since the rooms at the end of the hall by th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Well, it's not my first stay in an Hi Hostel and for sure it will not be the last one...
1st impression was good with a warm checking-in... I don't remenber the name of the receptionnist but she was very crazy and try to speak some french words with me... Nice !!! I feel sick when i am in the bed at the top : I've mentionned it on my booking and for my surprise they uppgrade me (originally in a room of 8 and move for a room of 6).
I've checking-in the 14th of March and my checking-out was the 19th of March.

During my stay, evrerything was pleasant : connect with french freschly arrived for a WHV...

The front desk team is very helpful when u have questions and for their activities... Very well located bear to the dowtown, train station....

But I must to tell u during my last night : the heating system works and it's very noisy... horrible I said, u can't sleep with that...

If I am back in Toronto, I will choose Hi Toronto !!!

Marathon, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have been to HI - Vancouver, Whistler, and Quebec City before arriving in Toronto. So I have a pretty good comparison as what the others were like. In Toronto, my first 10 nights were on the 9th floor. Their elevator went under repairs when I arrived so this became quite inconvenient but the staff did their best to accomodate me. To make things worse my mattress was terrible, I could feel a better bar from the middle of my mattress. Also their aluminum bunk frames are super squeaky, so getting in and out of the top bunk makes lots of noise. The rest of my visit I was on a lower level and the mattress was about 10x more comfortable so I definitely got a better rest there.

The top things about this place is the social activities they have weekly, including tours or pub crawls. They also have a great restaurant downstairs that cooks breakfast and dinner. Which most other hostels just have a continental breakfast. This is the best place to meet people from all over the world and make new friends. Thanks HI

1 Thank 866Daniel
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights..overall very good, old building but great location, great deals with buses, taxis, day trips and whatnot. Friendly staff, only one thing: although i got there earlier than 3pm for check-in, 'my room' could've been any room available at that time..instead of keeping me waiting hours until i finally got it. HI Vancouver did it. Why didn't here.? and for last despite the elevator was unavailable (for a 9 stories building) they made sure you didn't hate them for that.

Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place is awesome and everyone is really friendly. The staff was super helpful and the facilities were perfect for someone like me, who doesn't spend a whole lot of time in the place they are staying. I always knew that there was someone to hang out with and the events, whether you attend them are not, are a great way of the staff showing that they really care about the community within the hostel.

Room Tip: Make sure that you let the hostel know if you are uncomfortable on a top bunk. Beds are not first co...