“Highly recommended!”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Dovercourt
Transit: Just east at College and Dovercourt
Reviewed December 25, 2012

A friend of ours who has dined here a few times before took us to bestellen about a week ago. We absolutely loved it. Our server was not only really knowledgeable, but also very friendly and funny. The atmosphere is very relaxed - The restaurant is spacious, the walls are covered in wooden planks and very cool "Boucher art". I read some reviews that the restaurant is loud so I was a bit worried (was meeting a friend who I haven’t seen in a year – lots of catching up to do) but on this night it wasn’t loud at all so we had absolutely no problems to carry on a conversation.
The restaurant doesn’t only serve charcuterie dishes but also seafood and co. so everyone can find something on the menu. As they were out of their famous burgers that night I ended up ordering an octopus dish after my chicken liver starter. Both really delicious. They also serve great German beers which my German husband really appreciated. The prices are very reasonable.
I will be back.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

This place is very good. Greeting was terrific. Showed a table too near the door and after contemplation asked to move. No big deal for the staff. Server was terrific. Started with chicken liver fried southern style. A dozen oysters. Very fresh. The house made charcuterie is very well done. Two of the table guests had fish. A pickerel and a grille octopus. Both excellent.

La piece de resistance is the 32oz cote de bouef which was magical. Sous vide and then grilled. my buddy and I shared it. Out of this world. Both agreed it was very close to the best steak ever.

The pudding chomeur was just ok for desert.

The wine list is price $45 - 65 - 85. We had Hidden Bench's terrific Terroir Cache and their Felseck Pinot Noir. Very, very good wines.

It was pricy but a very good evening. I will be back.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Meat lovers will love Bestellen. Their cured meats are made in house. They have butcher’s daily cut beef and lamb. But it doesn't mean they don't serve other dishes. We ordered Swiss Chard, Charcuterie, Fried Cauliflower, Seared Scallops, and Beef Cheek. The scallops were fresh and sweet, the sauce was a right touch of the dish, did not overpower - lovely. The Swiss Chard was baked with Ricotta, creamy and with right sodium level. Fried Cauliflower is a good replacement of Potato Fries - crispy, tasty. The beef cheek was tender, juicy and delicious; texture was similar to Boeuf Bourguignon.
For drinks - the wines they serve are mostly inexpensive.
For services - the lady served us was not an experience server, but very friendly.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We regularly peruse trip advisor and try local restaurants with strong reviews. So this week it was Bestellen's turn. The service was lovely, the servers knowledgeable about ingredients and they were quite attentive. The music level is a bit loud for my taste (perhaps reflecting the crowd they are aiming for is bit more trendy than I am) but the back of the house (towards the kitchen) is quiet enough for conversation and that was where we were seated.

The variety of drinks is pretty reasonable. The variety of food…less so. That is not to say that the food we received was not excellent. It was excellent (The only exception were the fries which were simply average and their house-made smoked ketchup which I did not like). However the menu is so limited that I don't see returning for quite some time. Having an exceptional burger (and the $18 burger is really tasty) or a great steak is not something I seek as a regular dining experience. There was one fish dish (again well executed but a somewhat small fillet for the price) and one pasta. No specials that night mentioned by our server.

A great place to go if all in your party are craving great beef (no other meat mains unless you pre-order for a group of 8 and you can get suckling pig) but really I would have appreciated a bit more variety. Unless there are new mains on the menu I feel we would likely order the same items again and that would get boring pretty quickly.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

What an incredible experience. We dined here in June, with party of 12 and the food was, as expected, culinary excellence. All dishes were fantastic!

The service was excellent from the moment we set foot in the establishment. All our needs were tended too, the staff made us feel very comfortable and were able to explain each of the dishes presented to us.