“Good Location, Great Room, Great Staff”
Review of SoHo Metropolitan

SoHo Metropolitan
Ranked #8 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. The lobby is nice and clean. The staff are very professional and helpful. They have doorman and concierge to assist you with your bags and all of your questions. This is not a five star hotel, but I do believe it is a four star, and it definitely meets this standard. It is above average.

The room: The room has a separate tub and shower, heated bathroom floors, a safe, desk and sitting area, wall art, a separate spacious closet area, electronic do not disturb and curtain button. The housekeeping offered us bottled water each morning, which was nice.

The location: If you don't mind walking just a little the location is decent. We were literally under 10 minutes from the CN tower, which was convenient. Our farthest walk was about 25 minutes, and in a metropolis I think walking is to be expected. Cabs are easy to hail, and the concierge is helpful with suggestions and directions. There is also a corner store across the street where you can grab snacks and drinks before or after going out.

Food: Breakfast at the Senses Restaurant/Cafe was disappointing as they only serve breakfast pastries and not other breakfast options (eggs, toast, pancakes etc). However, you MUST try Cora's, which is just across the street. This food is definitely made to order, frest and of great quality. It was absolutely excellent. The line moves faster than it looks.

Service: Our check in was professional, fast and efficient. Our bags were brought up to our room for us without a request. The doorman opened the doors upon each entrance and exit. They are very professional. I will defintely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room and at least a second floor room.
2  Thank RMK31

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Had a great stay over the long weekend - hotel was fully booked but service was still impeccable. Rooms are spacious and clean, very well appointed with modern decor. Bathrooms are large with high quality toiletries provided and heated marble floors. Self-park option was very convenient and reasonably priced considering the location. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Location:
Reasonably central to some points of interest. It’s close to Blue Jays stadium etc. It is a bit of a walk to metro stations. I am not sure what to make of its location. I think the location is a bit more of liability for travelers.

Common Areas:
The lobby is not as nice or impressive as other hotels of this class. Just a few chairs. The gym is rather small. It is shared with the residential condo. In the morning, all the equipment is being used. There are two restaurants-one serving light lunch and breakfast and the other serving dinner and bar. I tried breakfast on one of the days I was there; the service was reasonable.

The Room:
It is large and well furnished with chair and desk. I believe I got a room that is higher than the standard room. The room is very spacious. The walk-in/large closet offers lots of space. There is a safe as well. Bed is comfortable. The room itself is very nice and up to its category. Bathroom is very large with separate shower and bathtub. The floor is heated.

The Service:
The front desk staff were very nice and quick with checking in and out. The concierge was very helpful in securing a dinner reservation, though it was not the restaurant of my first choice. Downturn service is also offered, as well as complimentary water every night. The service is nice, according to my travel experience. I also love the complimentary wifi. In this day and age, any hotels (esp. those that cost and an arm and a leg) that charge for wifi and internet are an absolute annoyance. However, the wifi was rather slow and erratic during one of the days during my stay.

Recommendation:
I would probably recommend, with some reservations. Nothing wrong with the hotel per se, but a little far from metro stations. My first experience with Metropolitan was in Vancouver a few years back. After staying at the Four Seasons in Vancouver for a few days, staying at the Metropolitan was nice and refreshing compared to the old and tired looking FS. I was very impressed at that time with Metropolitan. Somehow, I did not have the some impression with this Metropolitan in Toronto, hence the reservation in my recommendation.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here for the first time on Dec. 22 after a night out with friends. Comparable with Hotel Le Germain (which is only a few steps away). Parking entrance was easy to find and self-parking not a problem. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful - we had to wait a while due to a couple that was being fussy about not getting a higher floor room but a second front desk staff come out from the back and handled our request efficiently when it became apparent that that couple was taking their time.

I think we stayed in a Luxury King room (w. soaker tub) but to be honest, I am not sure about the difference between a Delux and a Luxury accommodation (and I tried searching for specifics on the Internet...). The layout of the room suited us well, availability and access to power outlets for our various mobile devices was excellent - many older hotels are really bad with this -, the bathroom was clean and bright. I was quite surprised how quiet it was despite the fact that we were facing south (wellington) and on the third floor. On a saturday! The high speed wifi was also surprisingly fast (as noted by my husband who was using his tablet). The only thing that we noticed that did not seem to work was the outlet in the in-room safe.

Parking with in-and-out privileges was $30 for the day. I did not get chance to try the restaurant or the cafe / bakery but I plan on being back in the new year.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Hotel is centrally located downtown close to shopping and restaurants, a 5-minute walk to Rogers Centre. We were upgraded to a King room which was quite big, even had a walk-in closet. Rooms have a modern décor and all the amenities (minibar, coffee maker, iron and free wifi). Breakfast is available at the hotel café and is good and reasonably priced. Staff at reception was friendly.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was my first stay at the SOHO Metropolitan. Coming in from out of town I had a little bit of trouble finding it but once I did I parked underground and went up to the lobby where I was greeted by a hotel employee who offered to help me with my bags. I wanted to check in earlier than my partner was but because the room was paid for and booked in his name he had to call to leave permission for me to check in early. We were never told though that because I was checking in earlier then he was that I needed to provide a credit card in my name for the deposit. I was upset regarding that because we were never told and I don't understand if the room was paid for in full and they had the credit used on file why that wasn't good enough? Regardless, once we had that straightened out check in was a breeze. Inside the room the bed was huge and super comfy. Loved the bedding and had a great sleep in it. I was disappointed with the set up of the room I thought it could have been much better. The bed faced the opposite wall where the couch was but the tv was off to the right of the bed and you couldn't watch tv from bed. Also, sitting on the couch you had to turn to left in order to see the tv. I thought the positioning of the tv, bed and couch could be better. I would rather lay in bed and be able to watch tv after a day touring the city but I couldn't do that. The bathroom was clean and I loved it. I am particular when staying at hotels with the bathroom but this one I was completely impressed with. Loved the huge shower and soaker tub, the sink and counter space. Room was neat and clean but the only thing that stopped me from giving it a 5 star rating was the room setup and not being able to view the tv.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jules O
Reviewed December 2, 2012

While the hotel is aside from the business district, it's an oasis. What a boutique hotel should be. I was upgraded to a suite as my room was not ready when I arrived mid-morning.
Very cozy decor, large bathroom with a shower, a tub. The heated floor was very much appreciated on a cold and windy day in Toronto.
Very comfortable bed with Frette linen.
Morning breakfast buffet is very good with omelette done a la minute, superior dim-sums and French pastries. The coffee could be stronger.
I'll be back.
The staff at the front desk oriental lady and gentleman) were fantastic.

Room Tip: there is only three floors but try getting a room in the back. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business