“Compact luxury”

Ranked #20 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Newark, Delaware
“Compact luxury”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We loved the SoHo Metropolitan and stayed there Friday and Saturday nights. I am not one for fussy frills, and this hotel was clean, classic luxury. From the gorgeous blown glass flowers in the ceiling before the entrance, to the polished granite walls and floors and natural wood tones, it was beautiful. There appeared to be just a handful of other guests so it was very quiet. Our room faced an inner courtyard of sorts so no street noise.

We saved a little money by parking in the pay lot directly across the street ($50 for w'end instead of $60-$75 at the hotel).

The bedroom was a bit small but just fine for us. I loved the fawn colored velvet drapes with clean lines and the automatic open/close button for them by the bed. The bathroom was amazing as other reviewers had said. Granite and glass with a heated floor option and a floor light for a romantic bath. The closet area was like a walk in closet with blonde wood, a large mirror, and plenty of his/her space.

Only downside was mattress was a bit creaky in one spot and one morning we heard squeal of water pipes briefly.

We loved the breakfast buffet (a bit pricey at $22 but given how expensive Toronto is it was not so bad). They had a very limited amount of dim sum, made blueberry pancakes and great eggs (I had omelet with goat cheese and spinach), fantastic OJ, coffee and pastries. Good location with a brisk 10 min walk to subway. Will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Inner rooms facing courtyard don't have a great view but are quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I absolutely loved by one-night stay at this hotel! The room was a luxury room, with full marble bathroom, heated floors, nice bathtub, great couch and work area and LCD television. The curtains are on remote-controlled rollers and the window offered a great people-watching experience from the 2nd floor. I ordered room service from the restaurant downstairs, and although the food wasn't outstanding, service was fantastic and very prompt. I also used the wifi, and unlike most hotels, it was fast enough and strong enough to stream video online.

Combined with its central location near the theatre district and Blue Jays Way, this was a great value (the room rate was in the $215 range). I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is indeed a very nice hotel. Stayed for four nights and have no complaints whatsoever. I had a huge room that was immaculate and the decor manges to mix contemporary with an art deco feel. Service was excellent and the food great. For a business traveller all the little extras like free wifi and international tv offering alwayshelps toward a pleasant stay. Highly recommended.

3 Thank markhusted
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Went to this hotel just for one night attending a conference. Dinner the evening before was decadent! Breakfast and lunch during the conference was equally sinful. Catering at this hotel DEFINITELY rocks! Was told it was highly sought after for Asian weddings and I can certainly see why! The location was great too!
Will admit that my room was a little small but given that I just went there to sleep, it more than met my needs.

1 Thank strongC
Michigan
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I have never stayed in this part of Toronto, very close to the theater and many restaurants. I didn't like to wait for check in, but the room was pretty nice. It was my birthday and they sent up a little sweet. I thought that was nice. The view was of a parking lot and the carpet was dirty. I thought I was going to get an upgrade, but we didn't. The bathroom and the comfort of the bed were very nice and the staff was great.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Micht123
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I researched a hotel in Toronto before going and was really stressed about it. I have to say, this turned out better than I could have imagined. I had a deluxe King room on the 4th floor. Despite the fact that the hotel rooms only go up to floor 4 ( I was worried about this because of noise- I'm a very light sleeper!!!!) the room was so quiet at night you could have heard a pin drop. The hotel is not on a main thoroughfare- and I heard no noise. I am not a good sleeper and I slept all 5 nights sound. The sheets and beds were extremely comfortable ( I have alot of joint problems so I'm picky) , clean and fresh. The room was extremely clean and felt more like being in your bedroom than a hotel room. ceiling details and art in the rooms helped with those touches. The bathroom was amazing!!!!! I'm always cold, so a heater in the bathroom with heated floors was a dream- truly! The bathroom was always extremely clean and the deep tub and shower were great. I will tell you that this room truly felt luxurious and not like an average hotel room. The service was truly wonderful and I'm a stickler for details. The greeters, concierage, restaurant staff and desk foks were extremely pleasant at all times and were extremely helpful finding /booking tickets, cars, etc. The food in the hotel was lovely- and I never usually eat in hotels, but it was rainy when we got in and gave it a try. It was great! You truly can't go wrong here. I would definitely book again in a heartbeat.

3 Thank ellagrace8
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My fiancé & I traveled at the end of June 2011. We were in town for a concert. I'm glad we chose the Soho Met for our accommodations. The service was great, the room was perfect -especially the huge windows with electric curtains & the heated marble floors in the bathroom. We ate from Pizza Rustica across the street twice and both times it was absolutely wonderful. I had the ravioli both times and when we return I'll have it again! Back to the hotel, everyone was kind (always greeting us (the doormen were nice) the room was nice & comfortable and we will definitely be returning. Also the restaurant downstairs was really good....

Room Tip: We stayed on the street facing Pizza Rustica and the little convience store on the corner. I loved i...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple