“for real folk-style fusion food”
Review of Shangrila

Shangrila
Ranked #1,096 of 8,575 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Tibetan, Nepali
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: West End
Toronto, Canada
“for real folk-style fusion food”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I come here for lunch with friends from a graphics firm because we can always get a long table where we can stretch out drawings and move freely. We've also come to enjoy the fusion-ness of the food, one of Toronto's unique gifts to the culinary world and the inspiration behind a major theme of my 2013 book, The No-Nonsense Guide to World Food, which argues that fusion is the way of the future, in cooking and growing.
From the pain of diaspora, people forced to migrate from their country of birth and find a home far from the country they grew up in, comes fusion food -- in this case a little Tibetan, a little Nepalese, a little northern Indian, a little Parkdale. So they serve Indian railway tea, a little sweeter and stronger than what we've come to know as chai tea. The same kinds of adaptations hold for other foods.
Our table's fave was the cauliflower, fried gently and a few large spoons of chopped onion greens and other spices tossed in.
Canadians need to be grateful for the banquet which immigration has brought us.

• Visited April 2014

Kitchener, Canada
“Love it”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I am from Toronto, but I moved to Waterloo for school. Whenever I get a chance to go back, I ALWAYS make sure I head to Shangrila. I'm not sure what to say apart from "wow." I love their food, and every single person I have taken has also loved it. It's not exactly in the best area (Parkdale), but I'd take a bullet for their food (figuratively). They have a weekend thali special (mutton curry, rice, potatoes, and vegetables) which is amazing. Their chili fries and momos are also great, gyuma (kind of like blood sausage) is tasty, and they make these delicious pork skewers served with lime (forgot what it was called). The owner is a lovely lady who makes sure I get taken care of and although the service is minimalistic, it is more than enough to keep a fellow server happy. The best part though is the price: it's very affordable and for the price of a Big Mac, you can feed yourself fresh, in-house made food that tastes way better. Go visit, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Craysian
Bay Fortune, Canada
“breakfast ho!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

A bodum full of fresh, strong, hot coffee. A toaster rack! Little bottles of jam. Perfectly poached eggs. Roasted potatoes. Warm friendly server. What more could one ask for?

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Maureen H
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Decent, but won't be back. Have had better.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Wait staff was dressed very casually. Service was slow when we were there. My husband ordered Gingerale and was asked if he wanted a glass. Normally he has just been served soda in a glass.
The Momos chicken and beef served in a circular bamboo covered container did keep the food warm, but it was not better than average. The Samosas were pastry like. When we are back to this area, we will choose another restaurant, especially since Toronto has an excellent selection. We prefer Lakehouse in Vineland and Mandarin Buffet.

• Visited August 2013
“Friendly tibetan staff serve delicious home-style meals”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Friendly tibetan owners prepare homestyled tibetan and south asian food, hand pulled noodles, etc. Prices are cheap. On weekends they have an indian thali special with free plate refills for $10. They have tables but there is also a spot for more adventurous types to sit on the floor while eating.