“Lovely, relaxing place”

pero restaurant and lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
pero restaurant and lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #500 of 8,432 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Ethiopian, African
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West End
Cross street: Bloor and Chritie
Description: Pero Restaurant is as rich and diverse as Eastern African culture. The spectrum Pero Restaurant cuisine can be said to lie between two dietary extremes: vegetarianism and carnivorism. The essence of good Eastern African cooking revolves around the appropriate use of aromatic spices. The skill lies in subtle blending of a variety of spices to enhance, rather than overwhelm the basic flavour of a particular dish. Pero food relies on the spices in which it is cooked, just as Japanese Sushi relies on the freshness of the meat, and Chinese food relies on the various sauces to impart the right flavour and taste. It is interesting to see an Eastern African chef at work with a palette of spices, gratuitously sprinkling these powders in exact pinches into the dish in front of him. It is these complexities of regional food in Eastern Africa that make it such a fascinating experience.
toronto
“Lovely, relaxing place”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

It's so nice to enjoy a meal in a restaurant with soft, dimmed lighting, quiet background music, polite and attentive service, carefully prepared and delicately spiced plates! What a welcome relief. Pero is an oasis along the often crowded, noisy Bloor and Christie strip. The owner and chef is on the spot every night making sure things run smoothly, offering suggestions with a smile.
Best of all the prices are very reasonable. This is such a pleasant, relaxing place to eat.

• Visited December 2013

Kabul, Afghanistan
“It was Like Being Back in Asmara!!!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining and socializing at Pero's during the Carnival Festival Weekend (2-3 Aug 2013), The atmosphere and food were off the chart!

I am African American and I had the opportunity to work and live in Asmara Eritrea from Mar 2001 to April 2002 and I vacationed there twice since then, last time being 2004. I heard of Pero's from many reviews and postings on Face Book, and to my delight I was thoroughly satisfied to learn that it was not just nice pix and fluff.

They had Eritrean Decor and Beautiful art work displayed, that could be purchased, very intimate seating. I really liked that the owner worked his way around the room to greet and check on everyone, very nice personal touch.

The food was traditional with a western flare, just excellent.

And the lounge action was quite satisfying too.

I would say if you want to enjoy a great meal and relax an/or party like a True "Asmarino" then Peros' is the place!

• Visited August 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Favourite Toronto restaurant!!!!!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I had the great pleasure of dining at Pero this evening and as always had the most exquisite experience. My cousin (visiting from the US) and I ordered the beef tibsi along with the timtimo lentil served on an injera platter.The food was exotic and had so many rich flavours. The food alone would be enough to keep us coming back for more. However,the service we received was by far the most amazing service we both had ever experienced at a restaurant establishment. The owner Mr. Pero went above and beyond to ensure the highest customer satisfaction. Wonderful!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank skytravel89
Toronto
“My favourite ethiopian restaurant!”
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I love Toronto.

with diverse multiculturism, comes amazing foods to try from around the world!

After being introduced to ethiopian/eritrean food a couple years ago, I get so excited when I meet my friends for it.

Having tried a handful of ethiopian restaurants, all with small differences and flavours, this place had just enough for it to be my favourite.

the service was friendly and prompt. The ambiance was welcoming, clean and comfortable.

There were three of us and we decided to try the pero platter. It did not disappoint!

I will be going back to try kitfo and their coffee very soon.

This place came as a recommendation from my eritrean friend who said it reminds him of home. Simply delicious. Try It!

2 Thank butterf1y
Perolounge, General Manager at pero restaurant and lounge, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi butterfly, thank you for dining at Pero's. It was a pleasure to accomdate you. We greatly appreciate your kind words. Visit us again. Thank you again. Management.
Toronto, Canada
“Good food , great service!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We decided to skip the appetizers and go straight for the mains. Our choices included :
1) Tongue sautéed with caramelized onions, green peppers, spices and fresh tomato sauce - the tongue was cooked perfectly and the sauce was delicious.
2) Her Majesty ( Doro wat ) - Spicy hot chicken stew with eggs - this dish was not as spicy as we anticipated and was tasty. According to our server, at Pero - the Doro wat is cooked in its sauce over a day or two , which apparently mellows out the spiciness . Unfortunately, the portion size was unbelievably small, with just one tiny chicken drumstick and one boiled egg making up the portion.
3) The Gigolo - beef cubes in a chickpea curry was delicious .

The service was prompt and attentive.

The only disappointment was the portion size. The serving method, wherein all the mains get served on one large platter, covered with injera (Ethiopian bread), would probably lead to the portion sizes being overlooked.

• Visited January 2013