“Rates in the top 10 of all memorable Mother's Days !”

pero restaurant and lounge
Ranked #528 of 8,506 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West End
Cross street: Bloor and Chritie
Description: Pero Restaurant is as rich and diverse as Eastern African culture. The spectrum Pero Restaurant cuisine can be said to lie between two dietary extremes: vegetarianism and carnivorism. The essence of good Eastern African cooking revolves around the appropriate use of aromatic spices. The skill lies in subtle blending of a variety of spices to enhance, rather than overwhelm the basic flavour of a particular dish. Pero food relies on the spices in which it is cooked, just as Japanese Sushi relies on the freshness of the meat, and Chinese food relies on the various sauces to impart the right flavour and taste. It is interesting to see an Eastern African chef at work with a palette of spices, gratuitously sprinkling these powders in exact pinches into the dish in front of him. It is these complexities of regional food in Eastern Africa that make it such a fascinating experience.
Toronto, Canada
“Rates in the top 10 of all memorable Mother's Days !”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My kids took me to this awesome restaurant for a new and exciting experience on Mother's Day. We were treated like family by Pero. We definitely had the VIP experience. The food was amazing. The restaurant is clean, friendly, and modern. You have to try the coffee experience! Thanks Pero for such an enjoyable evening. Our family talked about it for weeks afterwards!

1 Thank Anita K

toronto
“Pero, a great introduction to East African cuisine.”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Last Sunday, May 6 my husband and I had supper at Pero, a local restaraunt in west end of Toronto, on Bloor between Christie and Ossington. This was our first experience eating this wonderful food and it will surely not be our last. Pero, the owner is a soft-spoken, knowledgeable host who recommended the most popular dishes for our first time. We enjoyed every bite and liked that Pero checked back with us from time to time to see how we liked everything. The decor is gorgeous, the service is excellent and location is perfect for us. We will definitely be back!

1 Thank anne m
Toronto, Canada
“wonderful restaurant”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Last night I went with a friend to Pero restaurant and we loved it. We were greeted by Pero, the charming owner, who told us about the Ethiopian furniture and photos there, and recommended some wonderful dishes to share. We adored the chef's special appetizer, chicken tibs, minced fish, salad, and a vegetable dish. It is all served on top of spongy injera, which is used to scoop up the food in place of cutlery. The food is freshly prepared and the spiciness was perfect. I highly recommend Pero.

1 Thank nancyandleslie
Toronto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Pleasant Experience”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I went for dinner on a Friday night with my girlfriend. We had never been to this place before although we had eaten at other Ethiopian restaurants before. Inside was beautifully decorated. Murals depicting scenes from Africa lined the walls. They even had a section towards the back of the restaurant decorated like an open hut. The service was very friendly and attentive. We ordered the platter for 2 which has three vegetarian lentil dishes served with two meat dishes atop spongy injera bread. The food was tasty and filling. The presentation was good, too. We definitely recommend.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Cypherion
Alexandria, Virginia
“Authentic food,great service, and beautiful decoration”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

If you're looking for authentic Ethiopian/Eritrean food with great ambience and prompt service than Pero Restaurant is for you as I discovered on my visit last weekend. Before I can describe my experience of eating the food first I must tell about the menu. The menu was easy to read with great description of the ingredients so one can make a great choice. My friends and I settled on a meat dish and a vegetarian platter. So now describing the food, it was simply authentic and very flavorful prepared as described in the menu. The waitresses were very attententive and prompt. We also enjoyed the nice selection of jazz and house music played in the back ground as my friends as I chatted. I will definitely come back to Pero's. It's perfect place to eat for any occassion.

• Visited March 2012