“Innovation, presentation and then the taste... Hummmmm.”

Churrasqueira Martins
Ranked #647 of 8,996 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: York-Crosstown
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Well, food this delicious deserves to waste my time to review it.
What just sounds like another portuguese dish gets transformed into a meal full of surprises, one after the other. Innovation, presentation and then the taste... Hummmmm.
Since we were a table of 8 we decided to try the most we could. Tried the diversified appetizers, different entrees, unbelievable wine list and then desert followed by the traditional expresso.
Just one but, the house is always full (good sign)
Favorite around the table Bacalhau de Natas and Natas do Ceu for desert

2  Thank becca159

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We visited on a Sunday for lunch. The staff was very helpful and got us a table in less than 10 minutes despite the fact that the restaurant was packed. Yes it's loud but who cares? The food is delicious, colorful and plenty. I noticed everybody was ordering desserts (they looked awesome)
but we were too full for that. Next time...

1  Thank Joe A
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Very good place to enjoy a tasteful, fresh Portuguese cuisine with a great service!
Bacalhau de Natas ( cant remenber name in English!) and seafood rice bowl are the best in my opinion!

4  Thank Caio F
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Martins has become my favourite restaurant and it seems that it is also many other peoples favourite restaurant. If you have not made reservations, then your chances of dining there after 5 pm on a Friday or Saturday are not good. The best time to go there without a reservation would be about 3 pm on a Saturday when it is still relatively quiet. They always meal starts with delicious, fresh bread and soft creamy Portugese cheese. There is usually a soup of the day that is always rich and flavourful or an big selection of appetizers, like grilled calamari - that is done to perfection. There are several "daily specials" as main courses. The last one I had was an unusual tasty stew of slices of dried codfish that had been soaked over night combined into a bean stew with rice and had lemon undertones. It came in casserole dish and could have fed at least six people. You spooned it onto your plate with a large spoon. I took what was left over home and was helped by several others in my family to eat it over several days. My wife usually has a whole seabass that is done to perfection. The sizzling steak with an egg on it is popular. Usually everything comes with both rice and potatoes.

We have got to the point that the serving staff and owner are used to seeing us and give us a warm friendly greeting. They have a good selection of Portugese wines.

It is in an unusual location. You have to look for it. It is the end unit in large plaza that is several hundred feet south of Roger's Road. It is popular with large family gatherings and it is not unusual to see long tables set up to hold a dozen or more people. It is also a hang out for the "guys" who are watching the soccer game on TV, laughing, drinking and relaxing. Free parking is just outside the door. It is two minutes away from where the Black Creek Parkway starts on Weston Road. So it is easy to get to. The food is served quickly and hot. What more could you want.

Even thought the food is as good, this is not one of those sophisticated restaurants you get in Lisbon with the waiters in tuxedos. It is a relaxed, casual, neighbourhood Portugese restaurant where you will get good food and value for your money. There are many Portugese restaurants in Toronto. This is the best one that I have discovered so far.

2  Thank imacd
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Since I discovered, this has become my restaurant of choice for those times when I want to entertain friends or family. I love the food, (truly Portuguese), the service is great, very congenial. Make sure that you phone ahead for reservations or you could easily be disappointed.

1  Thank Manny G